Edinson Cavani - ST - PSG (23 Viewers)

juve901

The Strategist
Jul 8, 2008
That's the big question - will Napoli be willing to sell two of their big three stars in one summer. You'd think no. I think no. But I also consider that Cavani was pretty vocal about not being committed to Napoli without UCL football. But we'll have to see.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Meanwhile, back at the Mourinho Ranch, a certain striker who is the object of everyone's affection has 7 goals in 39 matches.

just saying.
Wow, really? The numbers people hit up usually show an efficient striker.

That's surprising to me, but clearly when you see people talking about their Madrid friends claiming he doesn't score in big matches, well they gotta be talking CL.

Cavani is the dream, no doubt. We know he fits the league, he's easily worth 35M to me.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Wow, really? The numbers people hit up usually show an efficient striker.

That's surprising to me, but clearly when you see people talking about their Madrid friends claiming he doesn't score in big matches, well they gotta be talking CL.

Cavani is the dream, no doubt. We know he fits the league, he's easily worth 35M to me.

Problem is, he is most likely worth that and a lot more to other teams outside of Serie A. Not to mention the wages that they could pay him. I know that relatively speaking, his salary is miniscule in relation to his status as a player, but even if Juve were to more than double that, it might not be enough.

People don't want to hear this, but it just might take a Gio + Matri Combination in addition to money to bring him aboard. It's the new reality of the transfer market. And to be quite honest, I wouldn't necessarily be adverse to that because Juve would not be removing anyone from their Starting XI in order to acquire him. Their depth wouldn't suffer at all because you are basically replacing Matri with Cavani.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
Meanwhile, back at the Mourinho Ranch, a certain striker who is the object of everyone's affection has 7 goals in 39 matches.

just saying.
I think someone already pointed this out in some thread, but I can't find the numbers to back this up, but he has a much better goal/minute ratio than one would expect when seeing those numbers you just posted. He was never a regular, only being subbed on in the 70th/80th minute in plenty of games, so those numbers surely make it look much worse than it is.

Also, I believe he's scored more than that anyway.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I think someone already pointed this out in some thread, but I can't find the numbers to back this up, but he has a much better goal/minute ratio than one would expect when seeing those numbers you just posted. He was never a regular, only being subbed on in the 70th/80th minute in plenty of games, so those numbers surely make it look much worse than it is.

Also, I believe he's scored more than that anyway.
Cavani scored 5 goals in CL this season in 701 minutes played.

I'm looking for Higuain's stats as we speak.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Higuain on board, its just that some of the arguments now against Cavani don't hold any weight, in my opinion.

Edit- Found it 3 goals in 526 minutes

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
I just checked on Football-lineups.com ( God only knows how reliable they are... ):

They say he's played about 50% of the full season, which would come down to a goal per 77 minutes of play. Higuain :tup:

---------- Post added 23.05.2012 at 23:01 ----------

Cavani scored 5 goals in CL this season in 701 minutes played.

I'm looking for Higuain's stats as we speak.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Higuain on board, its just that some of the arguments now against Cavani don't hold any weight, in my opinion.
I know Sergio, it's not you I'm worried about, it's just that plenty of people will take those stats and wrongfully call Higuain a shitty finisher who needs a lot of chances to score all over the show. :D

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Cavani really is good enough for our actual needs and would work better In Conte's curent system than Higuain, as a target man, the way he uses Borriello...

juve901

The Strategist
Jul 8, 2008
Problem is, he is most likely worth that and a lot more to other teams outside of Serie A. Not to mention the wages that they could pay him. I know that relatively speaking, his salary is miniscule in relation to his status as a player, but even if Juve were to more than double that, it might not be enough.

People don't want to hear this, but it just might take a Gio + Matri Combination in addition to money to bring him aboard. It's the new reality of the transfer market. And to be quite honest, I wouldn't necessarily be adverse to that because Juve would not be removing anyone from their Starting XI in order to acquire him. Their depth wouldn't suffer at all because you are basically replacing Matri with Cavani.
Definitely City, PSG, and the like can offer stupid amounts of money to and for Cavani. But he's relatively realistic for us because City and the like haven't been too linked with Cavani just yet - it's still early though. With Cavani, we can still offer him a great salary, plus bonuses. He won't have to worry about adjusting to a new league, and he'd fit right into our tactics effortlessly. We have a brand new stadium that he knows of the appeal first-hand. We're one of the most prestigous clubs in the world. But most important of all to young players whose stars are just beginning to rise -- if he joins Juve, he's virtually gauranteed a starting spot for most games as long as he's fit. Whereas elsewhere he'd have to compete with other champions. Without bias - Juve would definitely be a great offer for him.

May 22, 2007
Cavani 5 goals 2 assists in ~ 700 minutes
Higuaín 3 goals 2 assists in ~ 520 minutes

Cavani's campaign was definitely more impressive though, his contribution in the games against Man City and Chelsea were huge.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
Some 8 minutes late Salva... I had to go look up stats for Higuain to defend him, but I did it all knowing you'd be proud of me. :D

Deep C

Apr 8, 2012
The only thing that worries me is that Cavani has been playing in that Napoli counter attack system where he gets the space. If I look at his abilities and technique, I'd be inclined to believe that he could make the transition. But it's still not a given. Higuain plays in a system closer to ours - ie. possession based. But can he make the switch to Italy? There are so many parameters and variables when buying strikers - it's always a bit of a (calculated) risk. It makes it even more interesting to talk about though.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008

Sorry, got a phone call...

Yeah, he's definitely a wanted man. One thing somewhat in our favor right now is that there are a decent number of very good strikers who could move for the right price... the right price being the catch. I want to have faith in Marotta given what the club just accomplished, but he may need to get creative to acquire a top player - and until I see the proof, I'm a bit of a skeptic.

I think it would be a mistake to give up Matri and Giovinco. You're right, we greatly improve quality at our greatest positional need, we're not losing squad depth, but numerically we're not getting any deeper - which is a focus with the increase in matches. It's tough... I'd give up either one for Cavani, but I wouldn't give up both and cash.

I find the Giovinco for Jovetic fake news to be pretty appealing... :p

It's going to be interesting to see how the impact of the Euro's on Giovinco's price. He could be a very valuable trade chip.

Edit: Anyway, I gotta run. I do think Giovinco will be back, and given what his agent said the other day, it wouldn't shock me if we ended up with Dzeko. I'd rather have Giovinco (10) + Dzeko (25) + Matri + another good LB (8-10) than just Cavani. There's some warped gorilla math for you... But if Cavani's tag hits 40-45M, which wouldn't shock me, then I start to make silly comparisons like this without and salary comparison obviously, which is pretty damn significant, 4 players vs 1... :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 21)