Do Football Players Have A Good Life (1 Viewer)

neath_lad

Jun 25, 2004
last night i was watching a documentary but an english bbc presenter by alan hansen and it was about life after football for retired players.

the prog was really good and it goes on about football players dont think about the future after football and when it does end for them some take it very hard.

the football chairman for wigan athletic (who just got promoted to the prem) said he held a session for all players about their future after football and none turned up.

it talks to gascogne and he couldnt leave football go he kept looking for a club around the world even china. gascogne said sometimes when he watches a game live on the tele he might cry because he cant play anymore at the top level.

also ruddock, when he retired he began to drink. it showed him at a football rehab centre and he was working with mutu and both of them were helping each other and both looked happy. mutu didnt tlk to the camera but u can see he was happy and tryin to win his battle.

also the English PFA (player football association) said 70% of retired plaers age 40 and above are devorced.

so is being a football player so great????????

Buy on AliExpress.com

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
this thing about mutu and drugs still makes me worrie.

anyway.
football players-the rich and famous-of caurse they have a good life.
they have soooooo much money that they can do ANYTHIGN they want after they quit football.
they will find smg interesting to do,trust me ;)

now for the rest,i don't know.

Jan 24, 2004
I read an article about retired players the other day and they said that most players have problems financing their recent life after hanging up boots (Not speaking of the Del Pieros and Ballacks). There are hundreds (think of 2nd,3rd league football) who struggle sooner or later. Eventually it is not a matter of the earned money but how it is invested during the time of acitve playing. Big houses and fat cars become expensive if the frequent cheque is missing. Most players didn't even learn a profession - and regarded by the age they quit (approx 30 - 35) it is still a long time to come til you can feed doves in the park ...

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
For the world class footballers, definately have a good retirement, they will also have other options like coaching and stuff.

Its the 3rd and 4th grade players, some even in the big leagues who dont make a whole lot of money. I dont know what they do afterwards.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I just watched the documentary; it was quite interesting to see the players' viewpoints after they're out of football. And they're not talking to 60-70 year-olds who have already moved onto other things, these are players who have only been out of the game for a short time.

It was good to see Mutu in the video, he looked happy and, as mentioned before, you could tell he still had a positive outlook :D

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Here's a quote from the documentary from Peter Kay, the Chief Executive of "Sporting Chance" which helps players get over addictions.

I thought it was interesting...

"The public perception is, 'you've got a beautiful suit on, you earn 40 grand a week; what's your problem in life?' Football is a massive, massive industry, and I think that the players need to be looked after in all aspects, instead of pampered with someone just carrying their bags, and hotel rooms booked. They need to be, if you like... matured

You get a young man, who, at the age of 12 is told he's brilliant. What happens is that he becomes the special boy in school, he becomes the special boy in the club, then the larger local club, then a club will pick him up. He doesn't get a chance to emotionally evolve. And then bam, at 16, he's taken in by an academy, and in some cases at 17/18, he's playing for club and country and earning vast amounts of money.

Nowhere in between there, or later on, has he got a chance to grow emotionally, and that personality and that dedication that is needed to get there, are very very similar personalities and traits that we deal with in addiction, obsessive behaviour, and it comes out in different ways.... and that's half the problem"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)