Defensive problem!! (1 Viewer)

OP
Azzurri7

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #21
    our CBs can't pass cuz there is no one to pass to, our full backs and DMs can't hold the ball under pressure, the only one in the midfield that can hold the ball and make something is camo
    I'm afraid you're wrong Nasser.

Our CBs can't pass because they're afraid and because they think they're under pressure from their opponents all 90min.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    We need someone who can play alongside sissoko----- someone whoc an keep the ball at his feet and able to control the pace of our game..... to ease the pressur eon defenders.

And yes...defenders doing crazyt hings is our main concern....yeah players like leggrotaglie.....I have never liked him because he just seems so nervous everytimehe plays and is incredibly mistake prone.

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    I'm afraid you're wrong Nasser.

Our CBs can't pass because they're afraid and because they think they're under pressure from their opponents all 90min.
    Because we push up so much with Ranieri

I remember how deep we used to be with Capello, nothing could get past us, in return, we'd have to play slow boring football.

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    our CB's shouldn't really be too bothered with passing, we need a "water carrier" type player in midfield next to Sissoko who can distribute the ball well to the more adventurous players and full backs who are worthy of the name. if we are to continue with this 4-4-2 then we desperately need marauding full-backs who can get the opposition midfielders on the back foot, overlap with our wide players and actually deliver balls into the box.
    sure we lack creativity in midfield but this system is worthless without good quality from wide and apart from Camo there is a dearth of talent in our ranks capable of playing this role

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    our CB's shouldn't really be too bothered with passing, we need a "water carrier" type player in midfield next to Sissoko who can distribute the ball well to the more adventurous players and full backs who are worthy of the name. if we are to continue with this 4-4-2 then we desperately need marauding full-backs who can get the opposition midfielders on the back foot, overlap with our wide players and actually deliver balls into the box.
    sure we lack creativity in midfield but this system is worthless without good quality from wide and apart from Camo there is a dearth of talent in our ranks capable of playing this role
    I don't agree with that, the pass from the defender to that water carrier should be correct. Quite often are the defenders under pressure from the opponents and they opt to kicking the ball away instead of passing it to that player. If we have defenders who have an idea about passing the ball this transition will be much smoother.

Juventino_10

Aug 2, 2008
    Either ranieri plays a deeper defensive line, a new coach (unlikely) along with the inclusion of a wc centre back able to distribute the ball and one new fullback, preferably both however that is unlikely

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
    It's amazing we're talking about Chiellini's on the ball and passing abilities. I mean just a few years back he was playing as LB for Fiorentina causing problems with his crosses.

But in truth, Chiellini does look very uncomfortable with the ball, it's as if he just suddenly thought, hey, I'm a CB now, I'm supposed to be the stupidest ball player on the team (next to the GK).

I think it's more of a mental block than technique.

David01

Aug 20, 2006
    you guys are also forgetting that if we play with DP and Trez upfront there is no point in staying back more
    our defence has to push high in order to stay compact
    the forwards we have need to be in the penalty area to be effective
    apart from Gio and maybe Iaquinta we lack the speed to play a sort of counter football where we can sit back, wait for a mistake from our opponent and then run into the open space
    DP, Trez and Anauri just aren't the types to do so, and off course we lack the creativity in midfield as well

Salvo

J
    Dec 17, 2007
    i think he feels unsure because of the other defenders around him, we arent cool in defence. hopefully if cannavaro comes he can help this.

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
    we 100% need to improve at the back and i agree at present our defensive players cant distribute the ball to save their lives.

Canna would not be a ball playing defender, neither is chiellini, but unfortunately i cant see us getting another CB (altohugh as mentioned agger and marquez would be ideal).

If that is the case - and i really hope it isn't and we have no ball players in the centre we need 2 new fullbacks who are good on the ball and can build attacks, in the ideal world people like Evra and Maicon, but in our case players like Motta and Dossena would do a good job, both of whom are attainable and offer much more of a threat than Moli and Grygera

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    I don't agree with that, the pass from the defender to that water carrier should be correct. Quite often are the defenders under pressure from the opponents and they opt to kicking the ball away instead of passing it to that player. If we have defenders who have an idea about passing the ball this transition will be much smoother.
    aye but the water carrier type can some short and receive or the full backs should be open for collecting the ball, Cb that are expected to be sweeper/stopper/distributor are liabilities a lot of the time. a good holding MF and 2 good full-backs would mean we have different options rather than Chiellini just aimlessly running forward looking to feet it into the path of our further forward players

OP
    Azzurri7

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #35
    So what's the conclusion, how do we solve this?
    Obviously, Diego/Cassano/Silva aren't the answer. CB's should either start improving their passing and ball control skills or buy at least two quality CB's but not Cannavaro.

Once we are safe at the back it is much easier to win games.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
    Jun 18, 2006
    Once we are safe at the back it is much easier to win games.
    Thats the one!

That being said without a WC cetre-mid to pull the strings there'll be more opposition attacks and hence more goals.

A 5 man defencecan't hold out for 90mins against a constant attack. We should buy somebody like a vidic and a two sided fullback and then a cm and lmf
    CM:Stephen Ireland, Witzel ,De Rossi,Modric
    LMF:Jerkov , Tosic? , Young, Krancjar ,Babel ,Robben,Sneider, Nani
    FB:Corluka Sagna,Clichy Rafinha maybe even Hutton

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
    Irish zebra every time i see your name I get this mental image of a drunk Zebra. Its quite comical indeed!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)