Cristiano Ronaldo (173 Viewers)

Jun 6, 2015
I honestly believe that being short is an advantage in football.

Short players tend to have better balance (lower centre of gravity) and are more agile than tall players. Those are two huge advantages in football.

You will never see mazy dribble from Ronaldo where he weaves between numerous opponents like you do with Messi or Maradona, because he does not have the right body for it. He’s 6 foot 2, not 5 foot 7.

Of course Ronaldo’s size also gives him some advantages: he’s stronger and more dangerous in the air. However I believe that the advantages of being short - particularly for attacking players - outweigh the drawbacks.
How tall are you?

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
180 cm

I had quite a late growth spurt (I was 160 cm at the age 15). As someone played football at high school level, one of the things I noticed after my growth spurt was that my agility and balance just wasn’t the same anymore. I became less agile and I fell down easier.

I’m not claiming to be a great player or anything. I’m bang average. But these are just my personal observations.

Last edited:

Luca

Apr 22, 2007
I honestly believe that being short is an advantage in football.

Short players tend to have better balance (lower centre of gravity) and are more agile than tall players. Those are two huge advantages in football.

You will never see mazy dribble from Ronaldo where he weaves between numerous opponents like you do with Messi or Maradona, because he does not have the right body for it. He’s 6 foot 2, not 5 foot 7.

Of course Ronaldo’s size also gives him some advantages: he’s stronger and more dangerous in the air. However I believe that the advantages of being short - particularly for attacking players - outweigh the drawbacks.
The existence of a player like Gullit who could play in a ‘weaving way’ yet absolutely dominated players with his sheer size proves your statement to be quite wrong.

Every disadvantage has its advantage.

May 25, 2019
The existence of a player like Gullit who could play in a ‘weaving way’ yet absolutely dominated players with his sheer size proves your statement to be quite wrong.

Every disadvantage has its advantage.
Who is this Gullit guy? My son is trending to be a very big man when he grows up and loves football, I try to show him youtube vids of bigger players specifically at forward.

Jun 6, 2015
180 cm

I had quite a late growth spurt (I was 160 cm at the age 15). As someone played football at high school level, one of the things I noticed after my growth spurt was that my agility and balance just wasn’t the same anymore. I became less agile and I fell down easier.

I’m not claiming to be a great player or anything. I’m bang average. But these are just my personal observations.
It may take some time to fill out the frame if you grow a lot in a small time period. However once you add the necessary muscle and get used to the bigger body I don't think it matters much. Zidane is probably the player that had the best balance and body control out of all the players I've witnessed and he is 185cm.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
It may take some time to fill out the frame if you grow a lot in a small time period. However once you add the necessary muscle and get used to the bigger body I don't think it matters much. Zidane is probably the player that had the best balance and body control out of all the players I've witnessed and he is 185cm.

Elegance and grace personified. I love Zizou - he was magic on the ball.

Sjaban

Dec 29, 2012
Fucking Sergio Ramos is better at FKs than this twat, and stil, for reasons beyond my comprehension, CR7 has managed to make a legend around his FKs like he is any good at them. How?
Shit thing is, with Pjanic and Dybala taking free kicks we usually score 5-8 goals from freekick per season on average.

Jethro

Mar 6, 2018
Fucking Sergio Ramos is better at FKs than this twat, and stil, for reasons beyond my comprehension, CR7 has managed to make a legend around his FKs like he is any good at them. How?
CR was scoring free-kicks from any spot you give him back in his United and early Madrid days. Nowadays kid quit on football when they see him taking a free-kick, i feel sorry for Pjanic and Dybala.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 159)