Cristiano Ronaldo (83 Viewers)

JuelzSantana

Sep 28, 2017
If UEFA give him more than a 1 game ban they'll shoot themselves in the foot. That would basically underline the need for VAR even more. It'll be a PR disaster for them.

They're an irrational association regardless but I don't think even they will be that stupid. Even though rules and regulations have to be followed, I strongly believe common sense will succeed.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
"There are two historic cases which offer Juventus hope for the ban being overturned, both involving Swedish forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Whilst playing for Paris Saint-Germain, Ibrahimovic was sent off against Valencia, in 2013, and Chelsea, in 2015. "

from a CM article today :D

Lapa

FLY, EAGLES FLY
Sep 29, 2008
My feelings thinks that 3 days are harsh, but this is not about my feelings nor anyone else's.

The following is not directed at you: but it's clear that people are judging this situation thru their apparatus of feelings (*cough* Buffon *cough*). IF Ronaldo did pull the hair, it's a clear red, even if it's a vague/pitiful pull.

I can't tell - personally - if Ronaldo does more than "mark/indicate" a pull. But that a linesman 20-30 meters away sees it as a pull in real tiem is no robbery nor conspiracy as soem retards here have indicated.

Tribalism makes people so incredibly stupid.
You sound like a Madrid fan now tbh.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
You sound like a Madrid fan now tbh.
No. Lapa. You are projecting your tribalism.

You disagree with my post, but since you are only capable of assessing the situation thru your tribalism-glasses, you expect other people to be limited in the same way; this makes you come to the conclusion that I - since we disagree - must belong to a different tribe, hence your Madrid statement, but all in all it's simply because you are not very intelligent and therefore not capable of entertaining different views on a matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Conspiracies in football, and in general, are few and far between. I also believe that UEFA, when it comes to appointing referees, is probably one of the better organizations. Don't get me wrong, I fully expect UEFA to be full of thieves, but they have long realised that making their product more appealing earns them more money and I think they've fairly consistently tried to raise the bar for CL refs. Although it must be said Brych has really not been up to standards for a while now.

As for Ronaldo's red card... The linesman has to decide in a split second. The ball is elsewhere and Ronaldo only touches the guy for a few fractions of a second. Really hard to see. The images don't make it any more obvious. To me it looks like Ronaldo wants to pull the guy's hair, but reconsiders at the final second and only grazes his head. Doubt should be in favour of Ronaldo here, so I think he shouldn't be punished at all. I expect him to get a three game ban though, if the linesman still claims he could clearly see the hair being pulled.
I think Ronaldo should be given soem leeway for retracting his hand so quickly. He chose to not follow thru his original intent, that should earn him only a 1 day ban.

If he gets 3 days, then what should a violent pull cost? 5, 6, 7?

Last edited:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
If he gets 3 days, then what should a violent pull cost? 5, 6, 7?
But this is a slippery slope, because in this case it was deemed by the ref to be violent conduct. A one game ban does not seem appropriate for that. I expect them to have a standard three game ban for violent conduct without the intent of physical harm.

I think it was misjudged from the get go and Ronaldo did get very angry, but managed to compose himself (albeit at the very last second). A booking would have sufficed. But the issue will be that the images we have don't really clear things up all that much either and the linesman was right there. If he confirms his story I think it will be a three game ban.

Al Birdie

May 19, 2016
I know a lot of people dont really like Ronaldo (myself included), but bs about the "hair pulling" must stop...The dude dived into his own box, Ronaldo brushed his hair like a childs' and probably suggested to cut out his crap. Like our defenders like to do, for the divers who are looking for the easy penalty. How many times you saw Chielo or Barza screaming over a "dead body", waving hands and telling that piece of shit to stand the fuck up? Thats essentially what Ronaldo did. But he had the audacity to touch the guy. So he doubled down on his bs and started his Neymar dance. This whats supposed to be looked into for unsportsmanlike conduct

Aug 1, 2003
1 game is fine, but not 3. 3 will be a joke, Even 2 is harsh. What violent conduct, Ronaldo put on the brakes and decided not to rip his head off. You can't punish someone for the intent that was not followed through vs actual doing it.

Shiet, that'll be 2 games of lots of goals for him though. He could've easily scored a shitload against Valencia and (presumably) Young Boys. Poor guy.

All could've been resolved with VAR!

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
I know a lot of people dont really like Ronaldo (myself included), but bs about the "hair pulling" must stop...The dude dived into his own box, Ronaldo brushed his hair like a childs' and probably suggested to cut out his crap. Like our defenders like to do, for the divers who are looking for the easy penalty. How many times you saw Chielo or Barza screaming over a "dead body", waving hands and telling that piece of shit to stand the fuck up? Thats essentially what Ronaldo did. But he had the audacity to touch the guy. So he doubled down on his bs and started his Neymar dance. This whats supposed to be looked into for unsportsmanlike conduct
Agree. It baffles me how grown up men with few dozen cameras every moment on them from almost every angle around the pitch arent ashamed of play acting. It really tarnishes the sporting event, which should be display of skills, strength, wit and courage... Falling down after opponent brushes off your hair is embarassing. I cant see how this could be acceptable behavior and consistently handing down fines and suspensions for those kind of antics would discourage it and move football in the right direction. Instead of writting esseys of Ronaldo's potential ban, journalists should shift their focus at vile scum like Murillo and their unportsmanlike conduct and how to tackle it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 61)