Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (53 Viewers)

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
NY state has a hockey stick curve for hospitalizations.
Also 74k cases while it’s so hard to be tested is quite remarkable. In about a month we’ll find out if that herd immunity theory holds water or not.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
NY state has a hockey stick curve for hospitalizations.
Also 74k cases while it’s so hard to be tested is quite remarkable. In about a month we’ll find out if that herd immunity theory holds water or not.
Strange that UK hospitalizations seems to be pretty much holding steady regardless of case numbers, while NYC is increasing but still at around 1% of total cases. I'm wondering if the state cases are VASTLY undercounted or if perhaps delta is still heavily at play here.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Strange that UK hospitalizations seems to be pretty much holding steady regardless of case numbers, while NYC is increasing but still at around 1% of total cases. I'm wondering if the state cases are VASTLY undercounted or if perhaps delta is still heavily at play here.
NYS data says only 30% of the samples were Omicron until December 18. CDC data is collected until 12/25 and says 88% of the cases in HHS region 2 (NY, NJ and some territories) were Omicron. Given the fact that CDC keeps recording those numbers down I think we’re still seeing a lot of Delta impact.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-n...mote-polar-research-station-proves-no-escape/

Polar researchers in remote Antarctica have fallen victim to coronavirus, despite taking strict health precautions, being fully vaccinated and miles from civilization.

Two thirds of the 25 staff based in Belgium's Princess Elisabeth Polar Station have caught Covid, the Le Soir newspaper reported, proving there is no escape from the global pandemic.

The Omicron outbreak happened despite all staff passing multiple PCR tests, quarantining and living in one of the most remote places in the world.

The situation has echoes of the plot of John Carpenter's 1982 horror classic The Thing, which was advertised with the slogan “man is the warmest place to hide”.

An alien life form infects workers on an Antarctic station in the cult Sci fi chiller, which starred Kurt Russell. Unlike the film, none of the infected Belgians have exhibited any severe symptoms - let alone been transformed into bloodthirsty beasts that can only be killed by incineration.

All 25 researchers were fully vaccinated and one had a booster shot. Before leaving for the station, they underwent a PCR test in Belgium two hours before flying to South Africa.

In South Africa, they quarantined for ten days and took another PCR test. A further test was needed when leaving Cape Town for Antarctica and a final one five days after that.

One person tested positive seven days after arriving at the station on December 14. The person was isolated but tests revealed two others had caught the virus. The three were evacuated on December 23 but the virus has continued to spread.

It is thought to be the Omicron variant because that is responsible for 99 per cent of infections in South Africa.

There are two emergency doctors at the station, which will not allow any new arrivals until the virus dissipates.

Belgium’s Polar Secretariat has decided the research season will be shortened and that staff shall stay there until at least until January 12, when new expeditions will arrive.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-n...mote-polar-research-station-proves-no-escape/

Polar researchers in remote Antarctica have fallen victim to coronavirus, despite taking strict health precautions, being fully vaccinated and miles from civilization.

Two thirds of the 25 staff based in Belgium's Princess Elisabeth Polar Station have caught Covid, the Le Soir newspaper reported, proving there is no escape from the global pandemic.

The Omicron outbreak happened despite all staff passing multiple PCR tests, quarantining and living in one of the most remote places in the world.

The situation has echoes of the plot of John Carpenter's 1982 horror classic The Thing, which was advertised with the slogan “man is the warmest place to hide”.

An alien life form infects workers on an Antarctic station in the cult Sci fi chiller, which starred Kurt Russell. Unlike the film, none of the infected Belgians have exhibited any severe symptoms - let alone been transformed into bloodthirsty beasts that can only be killed by incineration.

All 25 researchers were fully vaccinated and one had a booster shot. Before leaving for the station, they underwent a PCR test in Belgium two hours before flying to South Africa.

In South Africa, they quarantined for ten days and took another PCR test. A further test was needed when leaving Cape Town for Antarctica and a final one five days after that.

One person tested positive seven days after arriving at the station on December 14. The person was isolated but tests revealed two others had caught the virus. The three were evacuated on December 23 but the virus has continued to spread.

It is thought to be the Omicron variant because that is responsible for 99 per cent of infections in South Africa.

There are two emergency doctors at the station, which will not allow any new arrivals until the virus dissipates.

Belgium’s Polar Secretariat has decided the research season will be shortened and that staff shall stay there until at least until January 12, when new expeditions will arrive.
Epic troling i gotta admit

The more time it passes the funnier it gets.

Strickland

May 17, 2019

Another proof that the PCR tests suck. Last year my colleague got Covid, I got sick soon after and went to get tested - negative. A day or two later I lost smell so I knew that I have Covid 99% and I went to get tested again and that time I was positive. The same happened to my wife who got it from me, day 2 or 3, the peak of illness, the PCR test was negative and day 4 or 5 it was positive.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Another proof that the PCR tests suck. Last year my colleague got Covid, I got sick soon after and went to get tested - negative. A day or two later I lost smell so I knew that I have Covid 99% and I went to get tested again and that time I was positive. The same happened to my wife who got it from me, day 2 or 3, the peak of illness, the PCR test was negative and day 4 or 5 it was positive.
here they ask you to wait 4 to 5 days until after your exposure/first symptoms to get tested

same thing with dengue if you ever come across that devil

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007

@Post Ironic Just saw this news and remembered this conversation :sad:

You guys ready for another winter locked inside?
I don't think that is going to happen at all.

It has been a year and a half and people are bored. In most European countries the vast majority will be vaccinated by the end of the summer. There may be new variants, but the vaccines should offer some protection against those as well.

And then there's the fact that there are a million other diseases out there as well, you can't shut down your entire society because of a virus that is no longer deadly for 99% of the population.
:tup:

Early on I was fine with the measures while they were still figuring things out, and perhaps in the craziest hit places where it was killing large numbers daily, one could make an argument for some restrictions during the worst moments to avoid overwhelming health care system, but by and large governments should have got their shit sorted out during the initial few months long lockdown and managed it through other measures while keeping society open later.

There should be absolutely zero room for lockdowns going forward. Ludicrous to think they might be having lockdowns two years after the beginning of a pandemic, with 50-70% of the population vaccinated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 42)