Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (55 Viewers)

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015
Trump is just saying what his advisors or doctors are saying. There's no way he's doing any type of research, anything he says about the whole situation is just based on the second hand information.

The thing we learned from this whole pandemia that when such a thing happens next time, the best way is just to live through it. We could put ourselves to a completely hygienic, closed area for next 20 years and once we would get out of it or when the bubble would break, there would be alot of the stuff in the world outside that we wouldn't have immunity against. We need that certain type of immunity to live in this planet and being completely immune to everything is just impossible, so best way is to get it and live through it instead of closing all the places, atleast in the scenarios like this where death rate % is pretty damn low. Whole quarantine just makes life more miserable just for the majority of the people. Trying to save couple lives here and there without further knowledge about whole situation affects on the lifes in a long run is just a big gamble. If you feel that it ain't safe to be around, then it's your own decision but forcing people to be without the jobs, without the only meal of the day or anything for certain group of people is so stupid.

That's my two cents on whole situation and whether it's Trump, my own goverment or anybody else who are speaking about the whole situation, nobody knows better than the other just because the situation is new for everyone.
I can agree with you in certain level. Specially after watching oil prices, I hope leaders start to realize that there're some difficult decisions that they have to take in a short time, otherwise the economy is going to collapse and, as hard as it sounds, it would be even worse than a pandemic.

That kind of decision are extremely difficult. For instance, how many daily deaths related to Covid-19 would you find normalin your city? 10? 100? 1.000? 3.000? We are not trying to save a couple of lives, we are saving millions and millions.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Watch this guy have leukemia or something.

He orginally went to the hospital for an unrelated issue btw.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk
While you were certainly engaging in quite a bit of hyperbole in saying that everyone younger is obese, to be fair, obesity was the second highest comorbidity in a New York study of 5700 patients. Hypertension was number one at 56%, obesity was number two at 42%.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2765184

Another one showed that under the age of 60, obese people were more than twice as likely to be hospitalized.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/16/health/coronavirus-obesity-higher-risk.html

Unfortunately obesity in <60 in the US is over fifty percent so supporting business as usual there/no lockdown would cause severe issues in comparison to healthier countries.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Good luck with the NY transition, Hoori.

Getting away from cheese-in-a-can shouldn't be too bad. :p

:D

Arguably, half of Montpellier's fans have been in a coma all season too. :yawn:
Thanks, I'm excited about it. My brother also got a job in New York, really couldn't have asked for more. But I love Philly, and I'm happy I'm not moving far away from it.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Thanks, I'm excited about it. My brother also got a job in New York, really couldn't have asked for more. But I love Philly, and I'm happy I'm not moving far away from it.
So great to have family nearby in a city like NYC. And as you noted, Philly is still an easy train ride even if you wanted... :tup:

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
I do think Fox News is more of the symptom than the cause, Hoori. And sad to say, I think the Fox News effect has helped turn CNN into a shill and a shell of what it once was. When it comes to selling things to people, it pays better to pander than to challenge, and many of the media networks have caught on to that.
CNN is as bad at least in intent, but it caters to a more intelligent market that doesn't rely entirely on what CNN feeds them. I'd still say that when it comes to US foreign policy, CNN's effect even on that more intelligent market is as bad as (if not worse than) Fox.

Of course Russia is no stranger to disinformation, but I get the sense that -- unlike a lot of Americans -- they know that all information is potentially rigged by design. With a lot of Americans it seems highly selective and definitely much aligned around supporting world views and the mental health (or illness) surrounding group identity, so skepticism gets a pass when it meets certain filtering criteria.

I used to think that a lot of those conspiracy theory biases were rooted in simpleton minds. And conspiracy theories on the surface work because some people are psychologically much more comfortable with a world that is characterized by design and human intention -- and that the opposite of randomness and complexity or chaos is too unsettling to not just comprehend but also mentally accept.

So unnerving it is to believe that JFK could be taken down by a lone, deranged gunman that there has to be a more plausible explanation. Rape victims cannot be random victims of violent crimes -- there has to be something they wore or did, the victim blaming, to cause it to happen. This provides a sort of false mental comfort that the world isn't random and that if you don't do A, B. or C, you can avoid ever falling victim yourself.

But I've come to believe it's more than just a simpleton's desire for a simple cause-and-effect universe. Part of the more uniquely American part is rooted in exceptionalism -- the idea that individuals know better than what the best of trained experts can tell us. So we get anti-vaxxers. We get people who claim GMOs are biological voodoo. We get people who play armchair epidemiologists, dismissing public health recommendations in favor of cult ideas of what's best for them and their families because they know better.

Our world of experts haven't done themselves a great service either by occasionally showing their biases. But we are all human and capable of mistakes not to mention finding data to fit our beliefs. Sadly the natural imperfection of humans causes some to believe that they individually know better than the collective experts who can self-censure the bad ideas from the good ones.

Exactly, and we are talking about the country that has been the frontrunner in advancing science and technology, perhaps the most important contributor to why the US is the US. It's not even a religious thing similar to what I have seen in my parents for example who listen to and follow the experts' advice but tend to also believe in something in the form of god's will or fate that transcends science, which at least to me is still more understandable from a psychological standpoint than the constant illusion and fear of having to read between the lines of scientific discoveries.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
While you were certainly engaging in quite a bit of hyperbole in saying that everyone younger is obese, to be fair, obesity was the second highest comorbidity in a New York study of 5700 patients. Hypertension was number one at 56%, obesity was number two at 42%.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2765184

Another one showed that under the age of 60, obese people were more than twice as likely to be hospitalized.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/16/health/coronavirus-obesity-higher-risk.html

Unfortunately obesity in no lockdown would cause severe issues in comparison to healthier countries.
I can agree with you there. Some countries are different. The US, but also Mexico or Samoa come to mind.

I don't think Americans fully realise just how different their population looks. Whenever someone of my friends goes to the US for the first time it's the first thing they notice. And it's true, you expect obesity when you go there, but it's just shocking. It's insane.

Obviously you have to act differently when half your population is at a bigger risk. I definitely agree.

In the long term though maybe this should be a wake up call. Improve healthcare, improve the general fitness of the population, make healthier choices easier (in my experience it honestly just isn't as easy to buy healthy food in the US for example).

Scientifically I think we should invest way more resources in gerontology and trying to delay the aging process. Humans are designed to be in relative health until their sixties. The truth is we have a lot of people that live well into their 90's now, but their quality of life is severely lacking.

Another thing to consider is that maybe we've been weakening our non-specific immune system over the last decades. Face masks are fine for a short period of time, but apply them for years and in the end almost any bug is going to get you under.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 43)