Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (38 Viewers)

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Found this from another forum where someone supposedly was confirmed to have the Coronavirus in France. No idea if true or not.

Symptoms:
- Coughing
- Headache
- Pain behind the eyes
- Pain in the back below the shoulders
- High temperature
- Eventual sweats
- Constant need to clear throat

If that's truly the case, then I might have already had this in January. I pretty much had all of those symptoms for a good 4-5 days, then residual coughing/respiratory weakness for a couple weeks. I hope, but doubt...
Even if true, that's anecdotal. Better off looking at lists from health institutes.

Did they develop a vaccine for the Spanish flu? Don't know what vaccine capabilities were back then and wondering about that second wave.

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014
Did they develop a vaccine for the Spanish flu? Don't know what vaccine capabilities were back then and wondering about that second wave.
They didn't had a vaccine for the Spanish flu. It died out gradually after the third wave - it lasted until 1957 but it was a mild flu after the second wave. The capabilities were pretty poor. The vaccine for smallpox was more of a fluke than anything.

The second wave was very deadly and it hit from October to late November (first wave was in the spring). It didn't spread that much because many of the ill died.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Same with the first case in New Zealand. He was very sick after coming from Iran. Tested two times negative and he was two times send home, but the third time he tested positive.

Good luck stopping this virus.
It might've been that test was compromised?

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
FYI guys. Don't believe the numbers coming out of China. The world media is saying that the new case numbers have peaked and its a testament to the quarantine efforts they have undertaken - yada yada.

Here is the reality. China "reports" that they had 127 NEW cases on Tuesday with ZERO new cases outside Hubei province. Compare that to the several hundreds in Korea and in Italy for instance.

THERE IS NO WAY that can be true. I would argue that this is statistically impossible. In a country with over 1bln people where more people in Hubei province traveled to other Chinese provinces than they did overseas during the Chinese New Year festive period before Wuhan was in lock down. Complete BS.

This is going to be rough. The virus is not that deadly in that the mortality rate is only circa 2% with 80% of positive cases having very mild symptoms - HOWEVER, this is what makes it more dangerous because it is difficult to detect those who are infected as many who spread the disease are not aware they have it. If 10% of the world population gets infected with this - 800m with a mortality rate of 2% - that is a 16m global death toll. Not my base case but more possible than non probable.

This is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
Singapore has 100 cases but zero deaths. They are testing ridiculous numbers of people and it is a major transport hub in Asia. I would argue that its a pretty good number under the circumstances and I would give their numbers more accuracy than other countries given how active they have been in testing people and what they are doing on quarantine and monitoring areas where their have been cases.

Jury still out on whether the temperature is a major factor - the simple reality is that its too early to tell at this point.

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014
This is going to be rough. The virus is not that deadly in that the mortality rate is only circa 2% with 80% of positive cases having very mild symptoms - HOWEVER, this is what makes it more dangerous because it is difficult to detect those who are infected as many who spread the disease are not aware they have it. If 10% of the world population gets infected with this - 800m with a mortality rate of 2% - that is a 16m global death toll. Not my base case but more possible than non probable.

This is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
Completely agree that numbers from China are BS.

I think that the mortality rate is far lower but the R0 is far greater. The long incubation period is making this virus very hard to stop. I think there are many undiagnosed cases and the mortality rate is far lower, but on the other hand I believe that many more people will get infected.

from 4:20

Here dr. Matt McCarthy estimates 0.2 to 0.4 %, I expect even less. Perhaps places with big environmental pollution and societies with many sick people will have a bigger death rate from this virus, at least for the first wave. No one can predict the second wave. Let's hope we'll have some effective antiviral drugs by October.

Last edited:

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
seems like an unusually high amount of lawmakers if only 2300 cases. i wonder if theyre lying about the total amount of people
Either that, or they don’t have enough tests. Probably a little bit of both. They did not take this seriously for 3 fucking weeks.

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #500
    Singapore has 100 cases but zero deaths. They are testing ridiculous numbers of people and it is a major transport hub in Asia. I would argue that its a pretty good number under the circumstances and I would give their numbers more accuracy than other countries given how active they have been in testing people and what they are doing on quarantine and monitoring areas where their have been cases.

Jury still out on whether the temperature is a major factor - the simple reality is that its too early to tell at this point.
    I also keep hearing the death rate in South Korea is rather low as well. The number of deaths in China and Iran are rather alarming, but if they aren't reporting even half of the cases, then it's reasonable to suggest the reported death rate of deaths/cases is superficially high. Here's to hoping the actual death rate is less than 1%.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 24)