Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (31 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Worst day so far for us. 115 newly infected and 7 deaths in the last 24h.

I think they will forbid us to outside for the full 24h. I think they will close down everything, probably only a matter of days.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Tourism was unsustainable. I mean, how AirBnB was destroying local communities with no locals able to afford the rents to shops that catered to tourist crap instead of local markets to the relentless flights.

My peak tourism moment had to be when Instagrammers got naked on top of national and religious monuments as a big middle finger to the entire planet of tourism:

https://www.marieclaire.co.uk/opini...ers-don-t-get-naked-on-sacred-mountains-72302
https://nypost.com/2015/05/21/why-are-people-getting-naked-at-historic-monuments/
https://www.vice.com/en_in/article/g5xde9/couple-sparks-outrage-myanmar-sex-video-sacred-temple

That was the hedonistic apex that marked the pending death of tourism.

Congrats, millennials ... you also killed travel. ;)

Getting naked seems like a pretty small insignificant thing imo. It’s not like there’s other people around them.

anyways, I’d say China killed travel, Air BnBs were thriving and I much prefer them over hotels. A lot of times the money goes to locals who own the house. If people are buying properties to turn them into Air BnBs and that jacks prices up, I don’t see how that’s any different than gentrification.

Last edited:

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
It is. They should have kept it for 3 weeks and kept on extending it. I feel that is easier to get through mentally.
The governor's executive order (EO) here in Virginia is amenable with another EO. Basically, he can change it at anytime should things get better (and extend should they get worse).

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
If anyone is bored at home, listen to some live sets via Tomorrowland's channel on YouTube. Belgian DJ "Lost Frequencies" is up now, kinda cool.

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4,151
    I'm sorry to hear that...

How old is your cousin and what type of diabetes does he have? (I'm asking because I'm diabetic too and I'm contemplating about to ask for sick leave from my job during this outbreak).
    He's 31 or 32, and I'm not sure of the type. He might actually be type 1 since I think he's had it since being young. I should be able to get an update later this week. Hopefully they give you some extra sick leave.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a believer in setting expectations for bad news early. Beats trickling out week after week and then nobody believes you had a clue all along.

I'm usually the same way, especially for matters related to work, but those parameters are more known. I could see some people really flipping out over the timeline provided, especially without income.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4,154
    I'm watching CNBC and they're talking about how Iceland tested 6% of their population and were able to keep businesses open while isolating all cases, including asymptomatic. Apparently, their rate of serious cases, such as ICU cases, is much lower than the rest of Europe. I'm not sure about the demographic data in Iceland with respect to age and health data, but I can't imagine we can use them as a template for the situation in the states. Again, we have a diverse population with a lot of serious illness and obesity problems, plus obviously we aren't testing 6% of the population right now. We can't always compare our situation here to specific countries in Europe and say it'll be the same, as that would mean all other variables would have to be held constant. Just doesn't work that way.

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015
    There are strong arguments for non-profit single payer healthcare, but premiums being raised is not one of them imo. How would a single payer system would deal with a crisis like this? Borrowing more, or raising taxes, both of which are effectively like raising premiums.
    Anyone sitting in a bunch of money is just preparing themselves. They know that if they diversify widely with good timing and just get it right in somes deals it would be enough to make them to earn money in full hands.

Insurance companies are one of them, and if they find a way to avoid be involve in this healthcare pandemic, they are not just gonna be able to invest a lot but also would be a solid investment for everyone in the future. BTW I don't think they would be able to get away with this but who knows, maybe is my wishfull thinking

- - - Updated - - -

I'm watching CNBC and they're talking about how Iceland tested 6% of their population and were able to keep businesses open while isolating all cases, including asymptomatic. Apparently, their rate of serious cases, such as ICU cases, is much lower than the rest of Europe. I'm not sure about the demographic data in Iceland with respect to age and health data, but I can't imagine we can use them as a template for the situation in the states. Again, we have a diverse population with a lot of serious illness and obesity problems, plus obviously we aren't testing 6% of the population right now. We can't always compare our situation here to specific countries in Europe and say it'll be the same, as that would mean all other variables would have to be held constant. Just doesn't work that way.
    Don't they have a population of 300k and changes? Still a big deal but the 6% explain for that as well. Testing is the key, WHO said it from the very beginning, our leaders believe more in immunological walls so spreading and controlling is the path almost all western country are taking

Last edited:

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
    May 3, 2012
    Anyone sitting in a bunch of money is just preparing themselves. They know that if they diversify widely with good timing and just get it right in somes deals it would be enough to make them to earn money in full hands.

Insurance companies are one of them, and if they find a way to avoid be involve in this healthcare pandemic, they are not just gonna be able to invest a lot but also would be a solid investment for everyone in the future. BTW I don't think they would be able to get away with this but who knows, maybe is my wishfull thinking
    I hate the insurance system in this country, but those companies are not doing anything wrong WITHIN the rules of the system. They report a massive loss this year and shareholders will demand that they offset it next year. And I’m pretty sure they will get away with it.
    I was living in Texas in 2017 when hurricane Harvey hit the state, and even though it primarily hit Houston area my homeowners insurance spiked 80% the year after. It happens on all disasters.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
    Iceland has a population of 300,000. They really shouldn’t be taken as a model for any country.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Getting naked seems like a pretty small insignificant thing imo. It’s not like there’s other people around them.

anyways, I’d say China killed travel, Air BnBs were thriving and I much prefer them over hotels. A lot of times the money goes to locals who own the house. If people are buying properties to turn them into Air BnBs and that jacks prices up, I don’t see how that’s any different than gentrification.
    Getting naked is trivial in itself, but it represented a gross over-consumption point of travel: that people were so bored sh*tless with the commodification of everybody traveling everywhere that the only way they could top themselves for FOMO attention was to splay their gonads on holy mountains and fook on temples.

This apex moment paralleled the peak Dot-com 1.0 before the bubble for me. I remember standing on the balcony of some dot-com company, watching workmen removing the entry doors so they could wheel a Porsche into the office. The idea was that every 20 new employee referrals would give away the key to the new Porsche in a draw.

That moment told me right then and there: this has peaked, this is not going to end well.

I had the same experience when influencers and the like got naked on tourist sites as the only way to top their commoditization of these places that they basically acted like they could wipe their asses with them.

But yeah, AirBnB is about gentrification. All great ideas seem to turn to crap with scale. When people started managing 47 AirBnB units and not calling it a hotel, it was beyond bogus and just a way of escaping regulations and taxes. But the more AirBnBs in a neighborhood, the less the locals can afford them. And the less locals, the less the local shops (markets, etc.) cater to them instead of selling tourist crap. This guts the very neighborhoods of the very culture that made them attractive to tourists in the first place.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
    May 22, 2009
    Iceland has a population of 300,000. They really shouldn’t be taken as a model for any country.
    Population of 360,000 if I'm not mistaken. Plus, in general they don't tend to live too close to one another.

That being said, the fact that they are able to test huge percentages of the country is pretty great model if you ask me. It's because of some kind of genetic project that comes in useful now from what I heard. To me, that seems like they are a well prepared country. Pretty much the only one, so props to them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)