[Coppa Italia] Juventus - Atalanta (2 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Hey -- last season we went far in the Coppa and were giving up goals galore (4 to Lecce at the delle Alpi, anyone??) in Serie A.

Personally, I'm glad we have it switched around this season! We finally have our priorities straight! (And we have reserved many of last season's defenders deservedly on our Coppa squad.)

Apr 26, 2004
On the day of comeback for Trezeguet, who celebrates his return scoring a fine goal, Juventus draws 3-3 against Atalanta at the Delle Alpi in thesecond leg of Coppa Italia’s last 16 tie. A result which is not enough to pass to the next round, as won by the Bergamo-based club thanks to the 2-0 in the first leg.

Trezeguet is back, three-months after his shoulder surgery, and supporters’ chants are all for him, even though they warmly cheer all of the players who, so far, have been less often called up by Capello and who, in the last 16 tie’s second leg against Atalanta , struggle to turn the 2-0 result of the first leg the other way round.

After 4 minutes, the Bianconeri take the lead with a fine cross from Kapo intercepted by Trezeguet: Natali anticipates a very little and it’s own-goal (1-0). Atalanta equalizes after 10 minutes when Lazzari sprints forward on the edge of offside and beats Chimenti (1-1). Capello’s squad returns to attack and Kapo looks for the goal with his right-footed shot that ends over the crossbar. Zalayeta doesn’t find the target when he intercepts Trezeguet’s cross up front. The Uruguayan redeems after 33 minutes scoring the 2-1 goal when he nods in a corner shot from Olivera. After 42 minutes, a fine left-footed drive from Trezeguet ends high over the bar and one minute later Lazzari equalizes again, assisted by Bernardini (2-2).

The second half is less lively. Atalanta is first to attack, when Marcolini worries Chimenti, who saves. Then it’s Juventus in attack. After 21 minutes, a fine finish from Tacchinardi is saved; after 25 minutes the Atalanta defence saves on the goal line Trezeguet’s shot, which was aiming directly into the net. The Frenchman scores after 34 minutes assisted by Camoranesi and celebrates this way his return to the pitch. One minute later, after the 3-2 goal, the Bianconeri remain 10 as Tacchinardi is sent off after a heated discussion with some of the opponents. After 37 minutes, Zalayeta tries to nod the ball in but Calderoni clears. In the final minutes Lazzari scores his third goal and seals the result to a final 3-3. Atalanta qualifies.

JUVENTUS-ATALANTA 3-3
GOALS: 4'fh (o.g.) Natali, 10'fh, 43'fh e 46'sh Lazzari, 33'fh Zalayeta, 34'sh Trezeguet.

JUVENTUS: Chimenti; Birindelli (10'sh Zebina), Tudor, Montero, Pessotto (27'sh Del Piero); Olivera, Tacchinardi, Appiah (10'sh Camoranesi), Kapo, Zalayeta, Trezeguet. Manager Capello. Substitutes: Bonnefoi, Ferrara, Del Piero, Blasi, Masiello
ATALANTA: Calderoni; Rivalta, Natali, Capelli, Bellini; Motta (1'sh Sala), Mingazzini, Bernardini (27'sh Albertini), Marcolini; Lazzari, Sinigaglia (35'sh Budan). Manager: Rossi. Substitutes: Taibi, Alberini, Budan, Innocenti, Montolivo, Sala, Migliaccio.

REFEREE: Ayroldi N.
YELLOW CARDS: 28'pt Motta, 31'fh Olivera, 11'sh Mingazzini, 23'sh Zebina SENT-OFF: 35' sh Tacchinardi
SPECTATORS: 4.822
PROCEEDS: 30.630

nori

Jan 9, 2005
Guys I think that in a way the elimination w is good because it means we don't have to get tired to play at least to more matches against inter and after all it is better to get out of the coppa (when clearly it is not our priority) earlier against atalanta then latter against inter
But the bad thing is that this game showed that apart from some players (like Tacchi, appiah (he is talanted) kapo olivera birindelli and pessot (they do the job and never complaint) others should leave (legro (eventhough he didn't play) montero and tudor)
this is bad because it leaves our deffence with only Canna and Thuram as reliable defenders
anyway hopefully they never get injured and we simply win chm. lge and scudetto

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by chxta ] ++

, while on the other hand,
Chelsea was at virtual full strength against (wiat for it...) Scunthorpe United!
I just wish you had any knowledge of anything before you spew out what you normally say. That was a second string for Chelsea because they just have too many big players and whats second string for them is first class for almost anyone. Again looking at out so called second team, how many teams in Seriea, won't Montero, Tudor, Birindelli, Pessotto, Camo, Tachinardi, Appiah, Dp, Trez start for?
If we were not serious at all why not play primavera players? It just gets my goat when ppl think they are oh so knowledgeable and then you read a post like this one all in the name of what i would never know .

By the way since you wanted Chelsea to play a second string side please tell us the players they ought to have played as opposed to the ones we put out last night?

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
denco, you know as well as anybody that the Coppa Italia is not valued by us when other competitions are on the line. Who knows, maybe Capello or Moggi sent our troops out to lose yesterday? Stranger things have happened in football.

Juve_The_Best

Nov 18, 2004
sometimes you can see the stupidity very clear .

just a question to Mr Capello :

you did start the match with a secondary formation

no problem cuz we know that some players need some rest

and may be

(cuz you dont care ) about coppa !!

but after atlanta scored you started to subtitute to get the Victory .. how come ?

why you did not do That before ?

OMG

this is the first champoinship you lose it with juve..
still 2 (CL-CALCIO) !!

Grartsi senior

Apr 26, 2004
“We found a way to qualification three times but then we made as many mistakes, like Appiah’s back pass which made way to their first goal, and also Tacchinardi’s dismissal which, with 15 minutes left to play, on 3-2, prevented us from struggling on equal terms until the end.” Fabio Capello regrets not only the knock out but also the way it has come. In any case, the match showed some positive aspects too: “It’s a pity, we scored three goals.. we damaged ourselves with our own hands. As to good news, I must underline Trezeguet’s performance, he seems to have completely recovered. He ran well, played hard and scored, I’m very satisfied with the way he played.”

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
Like i said from the start who cares about coppa , but this match showed that our bench players are crap especially montero , Appia and others
The lineup showed that capello is not interested in coppa italia :D

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
I watched the game, and its always disappointing to see Juve play so bad. no matter what meaning the game has

I will say it again, Montero has NO right to wear our shirt any longer ...I was having flashbacks of last season, our defense was so bad

Appiah also proved me right, he isnt a good fit for our team

Tudor was ok IMO, I would much rather see us get rid of Montero and keep Tudor (if he can stay healthy)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
denco, you know as well as anybody that the Coppa Italia is not valued by us when other competitions are on the line. Who knows, maybe Capello or Moggi sent our troops out to lose yesterday? Stranger things have happened in football.
Coppa Italia is not valued period but noone likes to lose and given the choice we would rather win than lose. The Fa cup is much morevalued because of its uniqueness, nothing to do with anything else and the fact that its not a 2 legged affair and its played on a saturday and not weekday and its tradition its more importatnt than coppa Italia but on the other hand the bigger teams are not that interested in winning it either maybe as a consolation but as first price, no way.
Well its no good hearing we have absolutely no back up for thuram or Cannavaro as we have lost 2 points already due to Thuram's absence, thats crazy for a team aspiring to win Cl and scudetto that after the first team we are struggling to put out a decent second team

Sep 14, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++
I watched the game, and its always disappointing to see Juve play so bad. no matter what meaning the game has
That's I felt. It was only the Coppa Italia but I don't like losing or the realisation that the 'B' team is awful with very few of them good enough to be first team replacements, certainly NONE from that defence. No wonder Capello was unhappy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)