CONCACAF Champions League ¼ finals (1 Viewer)

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
yeah who cares but I'm happy that there will be more than 50 000(48 000 as of today) people at the stadium this Wednesday. I can't believe a non-MLS/other 1st division team is still there. :tup:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/02/22/f-soccer-montreal-impact.html

Big Impact
Soccer fans expected to flock in droves to the "Big O" for the Montreal Impact's CONCACAF quarter-final match.
Last Updated: Sunday, February 22, 2009
by John F. Molinaro, CBC Sports

The Canadiens may have fallen on hard times lately, but another sports franchise that calls Montreal home is flying high.

The Montreal Impact are in the quarter-finals the CONCACAF Champions League and preparing to host Mexico's Santos Laguna Wednesday at Olympic Stadium (CBC Bold, CBCSports.ca, 8 p.m. ET) in the opener of a two-game playoff, the biggest game in the team's history.

The Impact normally play at the outdoor Saputo Stadium, but the cold and snowy weather that Montreal routinely sees during February forced the team to move the game under the roof of the Olympic Stadium.
The "Big O"

Competing in the United Soccer League First Division, the Impact routinely sell out the 13,000-seat Saputo Stadium and lead the USL-1 in attendance but the team is expecting as many as 50,000 fans to pass through the turnstiles on Wednesday.

"There's a lot of buzz in the city. For myself, as someone who has been around soccer in this city for over 20 years, this will be a very historic moment," Nick De Santis, general manager of the Impact, told CBCSports.ca.

Not since the days of the defunct North American Soccer League, when the Montreal Manic drew 58,000 fans for a playoff game against the Chicago Sting in 1981, has the city been swept up in soccer fever quite like this.

The Impact's strong showing in the first round of the Champions League — where it posted impressive victories over Trinidadian champions Joe Public FC and Olimpia of Honduras, and earned a credible draw with Mexico's Atlante — has led to new interest in the club from Montreal sports fans.

"We've opened people's eyes with our success in this tournament and that was a big step for us because we've convinced people that we can play at a high level and we've seen the response," De Santis said.

"We've sold 45,000 tickets and we're hoping to draw over 50,000 fans, and that just goes to show the interest of people that are just catching on to us now."

It's not just the fans who are excited; the Impact players themselves are just as energized.

"The response from our fans and the city has been great. It hasn't gone unnoticed by the players," said Impact goalkeeper Matt Jordan. "People are very excited that soccer is being played in our city this time of the year. I think it's going to be a great atmosphere."
Montreal a hotbed of soccer

Jordan, who joined the Impact in 2007 after a brief time playing in Denmark and stints with three Major League Soccer clubs, believes that the level of interest and attendance for Wednesday's game proves that Montreal is a burgeoning soccer hotbed.

"Obviously, playing in front of a big crowd like that gives an indication about how this city feels about soccer. I've said it all along, and I've played abroad in Europe and in three cities in MLS over a 10-year period: I really feel that Montreal has the potential to be one of the top soccer markets in North America," Jordan said.

Playing in front of a big crowd like the one expected for Wednesday's game is far from the norm for the Impact, but Jordan said he and his teammates aren't nervous about it.

"I've played in front of some big crowds. When I played in Denmark we participated in the UEFA Cup so there were some big crowds there," he said.

"When I played in Dallas, we used to play some big games against Mexican first division teams, and we would get big crowds for those games. There were a lot of big games during my time in MLS, so it's always fun to play in that type of setting."

Of course, there's no guarantee that the game will take place as scheduled.

The Impact needed approval from three government agencies that regulate building safety in order to hold the match at the Olympic Stadium, which is normally closed during the winter.

If snow or ice accumulates on the roof before the game, it will be rescheduled for Thursday, but De Santis believes Mother Nature will co-operate.

"We're not worried about the weather," said the Impact GM.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
  • Thread Starter #4
    Huge Montreal soccer crowd revels in Impact's victory over Santos
    2 hours ago

MONTREAL — Eduardo Sebrango scored two goals as the Montreal Impact rode the energy of 55,571 fans at Olympic Stadium to defeat Santos Laguna of Mexico 2-0 in the opening leg of their CONCACAF Champions League quarter-final on Wednesday night.

The veteran Sebrango, signed in the off-season from Vancouver, worked a give-and go with Roberto Brown, slid between two defenders and blasted a low shot past Oswaldo Sanchez in the fifth minute to a huge roar from the stands, where many fans were still making their way to their seats.

In the 77th minute, defender Nevio Pizzolitto's long ball down the middle on a free kick was headed into the box by Brown and went over a Santos defender. Sebrango leapt and just beat Sanchez to the ball to head it in and give Montreal a commanding lead in the home and away series.

The second leg of the two-game, total goals quarter-final is scheduled for March 5 at Torreon, Mexico.

It was the largest crowd for soccer at the domed facility since 58,000 took in a playoff game by the Montreal Manic of the defunct North American Soccer League against the Chicago Sting in 1982.

The Impact, forced indoors by winter weather, won thousands of new fans by reaching the quarter-final and the huge crowd was seen by soccer officials as a breakthrough for the sport in hockey-mad Canada.

A quarter-final Tuesday night in Houston drew just over 10,000 fans as the Dynamo tied 1-1 with Atlante of Mexico in their first leg.

While most fans didn't know the regulars' chants and songs, they kept the noise level high, particularly after the underdog home team took the early lead and had the better of the play through much the first half.

The Mexicans like to move the ball in quick, short passes, but a rare long ball nearly tied it in the seventh minute. Impact goaltender Matt Jordan just managed to sweep the ball away from star striker Christian Benitez, who three minutes later had another chance but shot over the bar.

The Impact played tight defence around their box, but the fans gasped as defender Pedro Quinonez curled a free kick to the left post that needed a diving save from Jordan in the 53rd minute.

The defence only tightened further when the home side went up by two goals.

It was Montreal's first real match since its final game of the Champions League group stage against Atlante of Mexico on Oct. 28. The team regrouped in early January for training camp, which included a three-week stay in Italy, where they played five exhibition matches against lower-division clubs.

Montreal got into the inaugural CONCACAF Champions League by edging Toronto FC and the Vancouver Whitecaps for the Voyageurs Cup in the Nutrilite Canadian Championship last spring.

They then beat Real Esteli of Nicaragua in a playoff to reach the group stage, where they qualified for the quarter-finals by finishing second in their four-team group to Atlante.

The Impact normally play next door to Olympic Stadium at 13,000-seat Saputo Stadium, which they fill regularly for United Soccer Leagues matches.

Olympic Stadium's biggest soccer crowd ever was more than 70,000 for the 1976 Olympic final between East Germany and Poland.

Should Montreal win the quarter-final, they will play again at the Big O in the semifinals, with the first leg between March 17 and March 19 and the second April 7-9. The home and away final is to run April 21-23 and April 28-30.

The winner advances to the FIFA Club World Cup in December in the United Arab Emirates. The 2008 champion was Manchester United.

The two yellow card shown by American referee Terry Vaughn went against Montreal, to Brown in the 45th minute and substitute Felix Brillant in the 90th minute.

Montreal was without team captain Mauro Biello (collarbone), defender Stefano Pesoli (knee) and midfielder Simon Gatti (thigh).

:beer:

DVS

Must be patient
    Nov 13, 2008
    Well if anyone cares Montreal let 2 goals in the second leg and 2 goals in injury time blowing the QF in a big choking fashion

DVS

Must be patient
    Nov 13, 2008
    :tup:

on topic now

how the hell this stupid spammer remains unnoticed by the mods....he is around for more than 20 minutes.
    I dunno but it takes a stud spammer to spam in a CONCACAF thread for anyone to be the least bit aware that CONCACAF exists

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)