[CL - Semi final, first leg] Villarreal - Arsenal (1 Viewer)

OP
Tom

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
  • Thread Starter #3
    I'd like to agree with that but arsenal's current crop of youngsters is looking pretty much unstoppable at the minute. Even the premiership teams can't cope with them (and they're at least used to a fast paced game) - these slow european teams like ourselves and to a lesser extent villareal won't know whats hit them

OP
    Tom

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
  • Thread Starter #5
    Underrated yes but they are hardly world beaters. I struggle to see how arsenal would not go through. Wouldn't be a walkover by any means though

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    Respaul said:
    Villareal will win 2 - 1 (Roman, Forlan, Freddie) and go on to beat barca in the final
    Perhaps I should be putting my money on Villarreal to win the trophy while the odds are still high. :cheesy:

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    Mmm if this semifinal takes place.... i say that arsenal have what isneeded to take them out.
    They have the CL story to back them (not a brilliant one but hey!) , thay have the players and the coach.

Villareal is not a bad team and i like Villareal very much.. but the Arses are a step ahead.

Intro

Apr 6, 2005
    Villarreal have the disciplined game to contain Arsenal. Saying that Riquelme apart all the best players are in the Arsenal side. The Gunners will have to win this in a different way then that they triumphed against Real and Juve. Surely Wenger will be astute enough to realise this?

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
    I wonder how Giberto and Fabregas will contain Riquelme as Riquelme has superb ball control and vision. Also Tacchinardi will let Wenger fuming.

For the forwards, everybody will agree that Henry is better than both Jose Mari and Forlan. But an on form Forlan can tear down the inexperienced defence of Arsenal as he is quick and can score goals. Sure he is not having a good 2nd season, but I still believe in him.

Villarreal midfield comprises of Riquelme, Tacchinardi, Senna and Sorin, the latter 2 being heavily underrated. Senna is something like a 2-way midfielder and Sorin will cause a lot of trouble in the left

An all Spanish final isn't bad at all!

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
    On a side note, Villarreal do have some experienced players that play in big games such as Sorin, Riquelme, Forlan and Viera. This team is seriously underrated as no1 even know who Villarreal is, but I can say that Villarreal is a team that is developing to be 1 of Spain's best. Their current weakness is the depth on the bench, but I can think that with the amount of $$$ they earn in the CL, La Liga and the Poulsen deal, they can reinforce their squad.

I will describe Viera as an upcoming star, he is actually a good keeper, but perhaps that it is his 1st season in La Liga which explains his form. Currently Forlan isn't having a great season, but I anticipate his return for the next season, as a better and more complete player. But as time passes, I can see this team grow.

Too bad Josemi can't play for the CL as he is cup-tied

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
    Mar 29, 2006
    I dont see villareal going into the final. Arsenal look much more capable of firing on all cylinders at Villareal than villareal causing too many problems for Arsenal. Riquelme will be tightly marked by Gilberto and Fabregas. Sorin will have problems going up by flamini and finally kolo should do enough to not let forlan do any damage. Whilst henrys pace will certainly strectch that old right hand side of villareals defence.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
    Mar 29, 2006
    Baresi praises Gunners (from channel4 anglo-italian section).
    Milan legend Franco Baresi had nothing but praise for Arsenal’s Champions League form and compared it to his old squad. “I would like to congratulate them,” said the Rossoneri’s head youth coach. “They have beaten Milan's record of seven Champions League games without conceding a goal. That shows their quality when you consider that players such as Paolo Maldini and Alessandro Nesta were involved in setting up that original record. Arsenal's youngsters can achieve anything from here if they continue to show this sort of promise. With Kolo Toure’s pace and Philippe Senderos improving all the time, they can go from strength to strength.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)