[CL] JUVENTUS 1-2 Manchester United [November 7th, 2018] (6 Viewers)

DS8_Montero

Aug 10, 2018
What also bothers me is the lack of coherent image of this specific Juventus.

Yesterday this was the best team in the world that feared nobody, played excellent football, and readily declared an intention of winning everything. Today this is a little bit shy, not quite experienced, sloppy team that somehow managed to squeeze into the company of the big guys and have so much to learn to finally become worthy of the highest rewards.

And this team switch between these two states with an astonishing ease. You never know what state they are in during the next game.

This pseudo-small-team mentality was understandable in 2015, when that UCL final was really a feat on its own. But many things have changed since then.

In 2017 they swung to the opposite state: we are coming to win it! Which ended with a complete meltdown, both outside of and inside the team, as we all remember.

After that moment the club have been kind of in between these two states. On paper it is clearly the "we are coming to win it!" case again. But in reality it's sometimes much closer to the "small team mentality" case.

Even confidence and energy that such a living legend as the GOAT gave this team is not enough for them to really transform their mentality. Those traumas seem so deep.

If I were Agnelli, I would do two things (fantasy football stuff, I know, but still...):

1. Forbid any comments from anybody in the club about winning Champions League until it's done.

2. Spend any money to bring Zidane to the club right now, with the right to come into the dressing room and motivate players. Allegri is a great coach and tactician (the best in the business right now), but he's not a motivator. He clearly needs help in this area.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Last edited:

GiocataGrande

Commendatore
May 26, 2016
What also bothers me is the lack of coherent image of this specific Juventus.

Yesterday this was the best team in the world that feared nobody, played excellent football, and readily declared an intention of winning everything. Today this is a little bit shy, not quite experienced, sloppy team that somehow managed to squeeze into the company of the big guys and have so much to learn to finally become worthy of the highest rewards.

And this team switch between these two states with an astonishing ease. You never know what state they are in during the next game.

This pseudo-small-team mentality was understandable in 2015, when that UCL final was really a feat on its own. But many things have changed since then.

I agree. Its hypocritical to say the least. Hopefully this loss brings out the best of us.

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
“It’s a disappointing defeat, because the team played well. We need to improve our finishing, because we never manage to finish games off when we’re in control,” Allegri
How can you finish off games when you always put on Barzagli and risk 1 goal lead.

DS8_Montero

Aug 10, 2018
Ronaldo: "Manchester United did nothing to win the game. You can’t even talk about luck, because you have to find your own luck and in this case we just gifted it to them"

And he's talking about his former club. That's the spirit and confidence of a champion :touched:.

DS8_Montero

Aug 10, 2018
What's so wrong about what Chiellini said? lol
It's not about what specifically he said tonight, he's just an example. It's about what all of them (players, the coach) say every time such underwhelming performances happen. Always the same speeches about "lessons" and stuff, which are used so often and without any visible changes in the team's attitude afterwards that it's already become tiring and irritating.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
It's not about what specifically he said tonight, he's just an example. It's about what all of them (players, the coach) say every time such underwhelming performances happen. Always the same speeches about "lessons" and stuff, which are used so often and without any visible changes in the team's attitude afterwards that it's already become tiring and irritating.
Actually, there's a track record of games serving as lessons for us. Sassuolo a few seasons ago, last season after Barzagli's speech (forgot after which game but we finally stopped dropping points), etc.

These dressing downs, when needed, happen in the locker room, not in front of a mic. And you can't moan and complain all the time. That's old school leadership that doesn't work well in the long run. You've to do them at appropriate times. It's a good thing they don't act like some of you Negative Nancies do here.

It's been said Chiellini is a good captain. His words so far have backed that up.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing. His comments were totally appropriate.

No reason for him to kneejerk and dump on the team after one unlucky result when, so far, we are killing it this season
Agreed with the exception of killing it so far. We did kill in the CL though till the last 15 mins. Defense started falling asleep since last int'l break, but it'll get fixed.

Last edited:

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015
Basically, Giorgio says what he's supposed to say according to club's position on this type of situations. But from the captain of Juventus I expect strong leadership and rigor, both on and off the pitch. I don't expect him always play the role of a wise and forgiving grandmother.

Also, dear Giorgio, if after all of these years of experience you and your friends still have to learn another lesson of this kind, then you're unlikely to graduate in June.

On a more serious note though, Chiello is a great guy, one of the best central defenders of this century, and I admire him a lot. But in my opinion he's not the type of a person who can lead a team capable of winning the toughest competition in the world of football.

Ronaldo has been the de facto captain of this squad on and off the pitch this season. And he's up to the task of leading the best team in the world. You just see it from what and how he does, whether it's a game or a training session, and from how other players treat him. But he's not entitled to have the armband (yet).
First, World Cup is the toughest, ask Messi about it.... second, :tuttosport::tuttosport::tuttosport::tuttosport::tuttosport:

MrMonkey

Jul 15, 2017
Like I posted before, I get so nervous with only 1 goal leads. Anything can happen and everything happened today. No doubt defense is the problem with this team. No Max, not getting enough goals out of this talented team is the issue. Please Max, fix it.

PS No more 1 goal serie wins the rest of the year.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
s so far have backed that up.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed with the exception of killing it so far. We did kill in the CL though till the last 15 mins. Defense started falling asleep since last int'l break, but it'll get fixed.
Results wise we are though and that is all that matters in this point of the season. We don't have to be giving stellar performances until the later parts of the CL which I think Chiellini addresses.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
Ronaldo: "Manchester United did nothing to win the game. You can’t even talk about luck, because you have to find your own luck and in this case we just gifted it to them"

And he's talking about his former club. That's the spirit and confidence of a champion :touched:.
Wow love it!

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
Such a terrible loss. How the fuck did we allow Mourinho to get that satisfaction. Damn he is such a hypocrite doing that to the fans. And yet he was so pissed off that chelsea staff member celeberater in front of him.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
Such a terrible loss. How the fuck did we allow Mourinho to get that satisfaction. Damn he is such a hypocrite doing that to the fans. And yet he was so pissed off that chelsea staff member celeberater in front of him.
Hopefully Mourinho last the season and we steamroll them next year or if we meet them in the quarters this year if they reach it

DS8_Montero

Aug 10, 2018
Actually, there's a track record of games serving as lessons for us. Sassuolo a few seasons ago, last season after Barzagli's speech
Honestly, I don't understand what lesson really could be learned in such situations. That does sound like a nice, noble, but still - excuse for not doing their job properly.

They are all grownups whose trade is to play football. What exactly didn't they know before those games or speeches that "enlightened" them? They didn't know that if they aren't focused and working hard then they might fail in getting results they were supposed to get? That doesn't sound plausible to me. I think, this is just a nice story for the media. And they're clearly abusing it.

And you can't moan and complain all the time. That's old school leadership that doesn't work well in the long run. You've to do them at appropriate times. It's a good thing they don't act like some of you Negative Nancies do here.
Nobody says they should complain - they shouldn''t.

I say they shouldn't try so hard to look wise and humble all the time. I don't believe that they honestly think what they say in those situations.

They try sound like calm professionals, but, ironically, don't act like ones on the pitch exactly during those periods when they pretend they are calm professionals after the games in their interviews.

P.S. I don't want it to be narrowed and look like all I write here is about tonight's game. It's not. Tonight's game is merely an episode in a lengthy history I'm referring to.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)