[CL] Atlético de Madrid 2-0 JUVENTUS [February 20th, 2019] (5 Viewers)

vote

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sgjuveboy

Oct 31, 2012
One minor observation, is that most of our "big victories" have come when we played home first.

1. Barcelona
2. Real Madrid
3. Dortmund
4. Tottenham

It feels strange having to play against a top team away first. This usually not the case for us.
We have done this before. Barcelona, where Zalayeta scores the winning goal. And R Madrid, where Buffon saved a penalty and Nedved scored a long shot

Buy on AliExpress.com

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
One minor observation, is that most of our "big victories" have come when we played home first.

1. Barcelona
2. Real Madrid
3. Dortmund
4. Tottenham

It feels strange having to play against a top team away first. This usually not the case for us.
How is this relevant?

We've only been knocked out twice in CL knockouts under Allegri. Against Bayern and Madrid. Both we played at home first too.

So I guess I could say we are undefeated when we play the away leg first, even though it's only happened twice in 4 years (Porto and Monaco in 16-17).

It's irrelevant whether home or away first.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2009
How is this relevant?

We've only been knocked out twice in CL knockouts under Allegri. Against Bayern and Madrid. Both we played at home first too.

So I guess I could say we are undefeated when we play the away leg first, even though it's only happened twice in 4 years (Porto and Monaco in 16-17).

It's irrelevant whether home or way first.

Not saying it's a disadvantage, it's just an interesting point. So far whenever Juve come up against the beast teams, under Allegri, it has been home first. We've never taken a "result back to Turin" before. Usually, playing home first has favoured us though.

alex_samatar

Feb 16, 2004
Our team never played the way they played first half agains Man Utd at OT. What if that was our style of play, teams like A. Madrid would lose the game before it starts. I liked that first half I thought this is it finally we can play this extremely attractive game. The pundits of BT Sports said that Man United seems like the away team.

Tomorrow, play like that first half and we win.

Szczesny
Cancelo chiellini Bonucci Sandro
Bentancur Pjanic Matuidi
Dybala Mandzukic Ronaldo​

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
We've played well against the big teams this season (brain fart at the end vs Utd aside).

All the boring or energy conservation displays came against the smaller teams.

First time we've looked more "natural" and comfortable in the big, CL games. Finally. It's a good sign going forward.

- - - Updated - - -

Not saying it's a disadvantage, it's just an interesting point. So far whenever Juve come up against the beast teams, under Allegri, it has been home first. We've never taken a "result back to Turin" before. Usually, playing home first has favoured us though.
Good point. It's a disadvantage too. Esp when the opponent is a tactical team like Atletico or Juve capable of being flexible and playing in different way or counterattacking.

Playing at home first AND taking the lead is a pretty big advantage. In second leg, the team with the lead can set up in whatever way they want. The other team needing to score is predictable and can play in only one way. And as the match goes on, pressure builds up more and team trailing becomes even more susceptible to choking while at the same time becoming even more predictable.

The myth of playing at home second being better is just that - a myth.

Last edited:

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
We've played well against the big teams this season (brain fart at the end vs Utd aside).

All the boring or energy conservation displays came against the smaller teams.

First time we've looked more "natural" and comfortable in the big, CL games. Finally. It's a good sign going forward.

- - - Updated - - -

Good point. It's a disadvantage too. Esp when the opponent is a tactical team like Atletico or Juve capable of being flexible and playing in different way or counterattacking.

Playing at home first AND taking the lead is a pretty big advantage. In second leg, the team with the lead can set up in whatever way they want. The other team needing to score is predictable and can play in only one way. And as the match goes on, pressure builds up more and team trailing becomes even more susceptible to choking while at the same time becoming even more predictable.

The myth of playing at home second being better is just that - a myth.
It completely depends on how the first leg goes. If we win tomorrow, we have an excellent chance of going through.

dyl1dyl

May 9, 2012
I am so incredibly nervous for this one. Strange to say when we are on route to winning the 8th consecutive Scudetto, but tomorrow our season's on the line.

My prediction: 0-2. Ronaldo, Dybala
Absolutely agree. I mean if we exit the UCL now, (after a few months wait after the group stage) it will be so deflating.

M prediction. Atletico 1-3 Juventus (Ronaldo, Bonnuci, Mandzukic)

Al Birdie

May 19, 2016
I think they are about the same in defensive skill, what makes DS a more reliable defender is that he is more inclined to play it safe at the back and not risk leaving his defensive position to get involved in offensive buildup.

Still I cant think of a single scenario in which I would prefer starting DS over Canceo because the difference in what the provide in attack is just too big.
Could not agree more :agree: he has the appearance of being better defender, at least to some people, just because he wont go forward. Could you instruct Cancelo to do the same? Probably... To be fair, if you won't start him against atletico, should he start in CL at all then? Have we paid 40mil for a RB/LB who will play Serie A and CL group?

Btw, going back to last year... The first Real goal was one of the worst defensive fuck ups i've ever seen. I mean, how could you find yourself out of position so bad, you are nowhere near your position in defense... As and RB. On a positional attack. 3 minutes into the game.
This is inexcusable...

DUKAC

Feb 29, 2012
Although I adore Cancelo,after his injury he is not playing 100% of his abilities.Not to mention that he "forgot" to came back in defense and dribble very near to Sczesny.I thought that I would never say this but I agree that DS might be a better choice.No flair but you know that you get a "soldier" in your squad.Also not that bad(very far from Cancelo's abilities) in attack.

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
Koke-Partey-Rodri-Saul?

Looks like their main priority is to stop us from scoring.

Four defensive minded/box-to-box midfielders on the pitch instead of any attacking mids (Correa, Lemar).
Exactly. Can someone elaborate how Atleti play with four CMs on the field?

We look very solid defensively here. I believe that due to Cuadrado and Costa absences, Allegri decided to keep Cancelo on the bench to have at least two impact subs along with Berna.

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
just checked atleti's knockout record with simeone.
- last year, they went out of the group (shit happens) and went on to win the el
- 16/17: semi-final exit against real
- 15/16: lost final against real, they eliminated barcelona and bayern in the knockouts
- 14/15: quarterfinal exit against real
- 13/14: beat milan, barcelona and chelsea in the knockouts, lost final against real

so during the last 5 uefa tournaments they played, only real was able to beat them in the knockout stage. impressive stuff.
:tup: Nice research.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)