[Champions League] Shakhtar 0-1 JUVENTUS (December 5, 2012) (129 Viewers)

MotM?

• Bonucci

• Chiellini

• Lichtsteiner

• Vidal

• Vucinic

• Giovinco

Results are only viewable after voting.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Poll added.

- - - Updated - - -

Whilst Chiellini and Vidal were great.

Bonucci had his best game for Juventus tonight. His performance was World Class, showed absolutely everything a top quality defender needs. His positioning, marshalling, leadership, passing, timing and tackling were all perfect tonight and I love nothing more to watch a defender perform like this. Much more of an art than attacking.
Yeah, it was great to see him playing in such a controlled fashion.

Hopefully he'll learn to stay on his feet and wait for the right time to tackle, rather than being rash like he so often is.

Nicholas

MIRKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 30, 2008
This was also the first time Giovinco and Mirko looked like a partnership, their off the ball movement was great and their link up play was lovely.

Amazing what can happen when they choose to run and take different positions up.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
This was also the first time Giovinco and Mirko looked like a partnership, their off the ball movement was great and their link up play was lovely.

Amazing what can happen when they choose to run and take different positions up.
I think that's a lot to do with Shakhtar allowing Juve far more space than pretty much anyone else has this season.

Someone (might have been Cavani) did speak about there being more space and it being easier, in some ways, to score in the CL than it is in Serie A.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
I just made some quick calculations, and I'd say that it would be very hard for us not to make seeding pot 2 next year! If my calculations are correct, then we have almost the same number of points as Manchester City had at the beginning of this season. So that would mean it's enough to make seeding pot 2 (There were even two clubs in seeding pot 2 with fewer points than City). Furthermore, it's still possible for us to make a lot of points this year. So I'd say that we have to be extremely unlucky not to make seeding pot 2 next year!

Aug 1, 2003
very tough poll. everyone listed played well and contributed significantly to the game, but I voted Vidal just because I think he edges out - true warrior. Chiellini is a very very close second, flawless performance I thought (did not deserve that yellow fuck you very much), Licht put in very good crosses and handled his flank, Vucinic languid he may be, is just that link of magic in any Juventus creation, and Leo put in some real impressive tackles.

IM FUCKING HAPPY AND LATE FOR WORK !!! WOOO HOOOOO CHAMPIONS LEAGUEEEE

Nicholas

Jan 30, 2008
Poll added.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, it was great to see him playing in such a controlled fashion.

Hopefully he'll learn to stay on his feet and wait for the right time to tackle, rather than being rash like he so often is.
Yep, in the second half where Shakhtar played a through ball passed Pirlo and onto their onrushing player, Bonucci just hustled his man to the sidelines, I thought here we go penalty but his control and discipline were first class.

GrandeGigi

Sep 18, 2012
Licht MOTM for me. Willian was anonymous nearly all night (with the help of Vidal out on that side), he was a constant outlet down that right all game and played the crucial ball for the goal - big game player. Apparently he can only play RB and isn't much good as a RWB.

Also agree with the Bonbon love tonight, best performance I've seen from him in a Juve shirt, immense.

Nicholas

Jan 30, 2008
I think that's a lot to do with Shakhtar allowing Juve far more space than pretty much anyone else has this season.

Someone (might have been Cavani) did speak about there being more space and it being easier, in some ways, to score in the CL than it is in Serie A.
That's true, there was alot of space between their midfield and defence. Fernandinho didn't do his usual covering role as well as he has done all competition.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010

that is quite obvious, since italians seemb to be generally the only ones playing with double marking, and knowledge to keep space small, anticipate the passing and buildup, and break the buildup, keeping lines closed, etc

its also why messi is historically bad against italian teams

Nicholas

Jan 30, 2008
Also its funny how some members here hate the 3-5-2.

Alot of other forums love watching us play with it and look forward to us playing. Such contrasts ey :D

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012

Alot of other forums love watching us play with it and look forward to us playing. Such contrasts ey :D
Yup, it's definitely funny. I think a lot of people tend to put the blame on the formation when it's not going too well. :D

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Yep, in the second half where Shakhtar played a through ball passed Pirlo and onto their onrushing player, Bonucci just hustled his man to the sidelines, I thought here we go penalty but his control and discipline were first class.
Yeah, he almost looked like a real CB/sweeper in that moment. :D

that is quite obvious, since italians seemb to be generally the only ones playing with double marking, and knowledge to keep space small, anticipate the passing and buildup, and break the buildup, keeping lines closed, etc

its also why messi is historically bad against italian teams
Agreed.

For all the standard of Serie A isn't what it was, there still isn't anywhere else that people know how to defend they way they do in Serie A.

Particularly, as you say, when it comes to knowing how to control space.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
The reason is fairly simple

3-5-2 is based around killing all creativity of your opponent, domminating the game and pushing them back. murdering the opposing team

4-3-3 has creative wide players, is alot more fancy, more chances(for both sides i might add)

most people who are rooting for 4-3-3 are the ones that will admire the fancy nancy's, but cannot understand what a vital role for example marchisio plays, if you are not seeing him but the opposition has a hard time creating chances

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006

Well, this one was a good example of it being used properly and taking advantage of it's flexibility.

Juve were able to make wee alterations to deny Shakhtar time and space, while still being able to keep a spare man at the back at all times.

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
I was annoyed at the cautious approach but at the same time it was necessary due to Shaktar's fast transitions. Conceding a goal would have been disastrous. The defenders were superb namely Chiellini and the wingers even though conservative did a good job to stop Shaktar's wide midfielders to play their game. Willian was forced to play behind the strikers because of Lichtsteiner's intensity. Vucinic did a huge defending game and Pogba was my outstanding player out there. Exhaustion appeared clearly on the players in the end but the calmness showed superiority and the home game against the Ukranians was simply an underestimation of the team. From now on it is only serious approaches, our team can go far....we are that strong.

Buffon 6.5

Barzagli 7
Bonucci 7
Chiellini7.5

Lichtsteiner 7
Vidal 6.5
Pirlo 7
Pogba 8
Asamoah 6.5

Vucinic 7
Giovinco 7

Matri N.R
Giaccherrini N.R
I think Vidal was the best man out there today. He was the reason we were able to limit Willian's threat. Asamoah was solid too. I think Pogba was good, but was very wasteful in the final third.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
3-5-2 is based around killing all creativity of your opponent, domminating the game and pushing them back. murdering the opposing team
Not necessarily.

Can just as easily be used to sit deep and play on the counter-attack, like Napoli do against good teams (though you could argue that is actually 5-3-2).

Like all systems, it depends on the personnel and the tactics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 129)