[Champions League] Real Madrid vs JUVENTUS (11/05/08) (21 Viewers)

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
No, but I think going for the win is a given. It's not something we plan for as opposed to something else, obviously when a team plays, it plays to win.

i think we should play a little more conservatively than most people's liking. They are going to attack us from the very beggining and we can't afford to give away any open spaces.

If we play defensively sound and reasonable tactics, we can hit them hard on the counterattacks with Amauri and Giovinco. We are going for the win, but a draw would be more than acceptable. We have to be realistic in such games.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
No, but I think going for the win is a givem. It's not something we plann for as opposed to something else, obviously when a team plays, it plays to win.

i think we should play a little more conservatively than most people's liking. They are going to attack us from the very beggining and we can't afford to give away any space.

If we play defensively sound and reasonable, we can hit them hard on the counterattacks with Amauri and Giovinco. We are going for the win, but a draw would be more than acceptable.
100%

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
yea but 95% of the time, if you go into a game with a defensive mindset, you will end up on the losing side...better to play the way you know how to play

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
yea but 95% of the time, if you go into a game with a defensive mindset, you will end up on the losing side...better to play the way you know how to play
Let's not lie to oursleves here, Juve are no Arsenal or Barcelona. We aren't exactly a naturally attacking side, far from it. Like Rab said, I think we need not to let our guard down, we need to be very careful.

That's the difference between playing a team like Empoli and playing a team like Real Madrid. You don't approach the two games with the same blind attacking mindsets, you need to be a lot more reasonable. we can afford to do so against Empoli, but surely not against Madrid.

Say we did go into the game with an offensive formation, who do you think will win the offensive battle? Let's not even start comparing the two squads, especially defensively.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
Juve are a balanced team and always will be...Juve's attacking play and Barca/Arsenal's attacking play are very different things...basically, I don't want us to play like we did vs. Napoli and start camping in our own half...as for a change in formation, we have done it once this season, and I don't see it happening again anytime soon

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
Juve are a balanced team and always will be...Juve's attacking play and Barca/Arsenal's attacking play are very different things...basically, I don't want us to play like we did vs. Napoli and start camping in our own half...as for a change in formation, we have done it once this season, and I don't see it happening again anytime soon
I too don't want Juve to camp in their own half, you think I enjoy defensive football? I'm just being realistic, we will probably be very cautious.

As for a change in formation. They don't call Ranieri the "Tinkerman" for nothing:D

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
I think that's the very reason we've been performing well lately. Ranieri just doesn't have enough players to fuck around with to make idiotic errors. Really, fate is controlling our starting lineup a lot more than Ranieri. Fate is our best coach :D

Aug 17, 2007
I don't care if we'll play catenaccio for 90 minutes and win with 40m fk by Ale :spliff:

we're going to play in madrid, against better team (right now), and many of our players are not fit. we must play carefully.

by the way, after the first match, one of the spanish newspapers' headline was 'catenaccio and del piero'. i wish for a repeat.

delpierofan82

Apr 24, 2005
As for the game I am almost certain that we'll see the same formation as the one against Roma with probably Camo replacing Marco.
Agree with you I think we won't see Gio against Real

Playing for a draw against Madrid is like playing with fire.
That's right we should play for a win to get a draw at least. while playing for a draw vs real is equal to a loss

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
We should play just like we played away to other favorites last year. Milan, Inter, Roma etc.
We were the underdogs but we didn't give up back then and we didn't play catenaccio.

Imo, Madrid aren't better than last year's Inter and Roma and they don't have more talent than last year's AC Milan.
A defeat won't be a catastrophe and that's exactly why we shouldn't feel any pressure. But a win is almost a must for Real because they'll risk losing the top spot in the group if they don't beat us. Losing the top spot means facing Manchester, Chelsea, Bayern and the likes.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
It is obvious that Real are under more pressure, we should take advantage of that but at the same time we must go in with all our power in a sly manner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 21)