Champions League last eight focus (1 Viewer)

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
AC Milan

Odds: 5/1

Form: The Rossoneri are trailing Juventus by 10 points in Serie A so all eyes are on the Champions League and it showed in the last-16 demolition of Bayern Munich.
CL record this season: P8 W4 D3 L1 F17 A8
Match report: AC Milan 4-1 B Munich (agg 5-2)

Strengths: Goals can come from anywhere with Andriy Shevchenko leading the line and ably-supported by fit-again Filippo Inzaghi, Alberto Gilardino and the classy Kaka. Experienced and suffocating defence.

Weaknesses: When do experienced pros become ageing liabilities against younger, faster teams? Worrying trend of capitulating in the competition, last year against Liverpool and the season before to Deportivo La Coruna.

Your verdict:
AC Milan will have learned a lot from last season's campaign and it will be hard to imagine that they haven't improved at all on last season's performance. They'll do it this time.
Matthew Lavelle, Taiwan

I can't see anyone staging an upset and it's all about the battle between Barca and AC Milan. My money's on AC Milan, especially after losing the way they did last year. The 4-1 win against Bayern proves they are a massive threat.
James Wood, England

Ajax Amsterdam

Odds: 100/1

Form: Teetering on the edge of elimination against Inter Milan with the second leg to come away from home after a 2-2 draw in the first leg.
CL record this season: P9 W4 D4 L1 F17 A7
Match report: Ajax 2-2 Inter Milan

Strengths: A mixed domestic season has picked up in recent weeks with Ajax banging in the goals, 15 in their last three league games, with promising youngster Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, who also bagged one in the draw with Inter, scoring eight.

Weaknesses: Flew out of the blocks in the first leg and were two up within 20 minutes but conspired to throw away that priceless advantage. Lack experience and key man Wesley Sneijder may miss the return match.

Your verdict:
At 100/1 I'm having an each-way wager on Ajax!
Andrew Morris, England

They have a very difficult task at the San Siro to make it to the quarter-finals. Arsenal made them look very ordinary in the group stages and I think if they do get past Inter all the remaining teams will be crossing their fingers hoping they get drawn against Ajax.
Peter Cook, England

Arsenal

Odds: 9/1

Form: Struggling on the home front and face a fight to finish in the top four, so victory in the Champions League could be the only way to guarantee top-level European competition at their new home next season.
CL record this season: P8 W6 D2 L F11 A2
Match report: Arsenal 0-0 Real Madrid (agg 1-0)

Strengths: Thierry Henry runs the show and is capable of match-winning moments of magic in the flash of an eye. The Frenchman is supported by pacy, young team-mates who seem to be more suited to European football's slower style.

Weaknesses: Inexperience and a suspect defence missing key men such as Ashley Cole, Sol Campbell and Lauren. However, that said, they boast the most miserly defensive record in Europe this term having conceded just two goals.

Your verdict:
Arsenal need to get lucky in the draw to go further. I think they'll beat Villarreal and Benfica, but will struggle against the rest.
Andy Donnelly, England

Don't underestimate this young Arsenal team. I think they can do another Liverpool here.
James Ballhatchet, England

Barcelona

Odds: 15/8 favourites

Form: Flying high in La Liga and unbeaten in the Champions League having seen off Chelsea.
CL record this season: P8 W6 D2 L0 F19 A4
Match report: Barcelona 1-1 Chelsea (agg 3-2)

Strengths: Ronaldinho. The Brazilian is the man who makes the red-hot favourites tick and when his mesmerising ability is allied to the scoring prowess of Samuel Eto'o and flair of Deco and Lionel Messi, watching Barca is a joy to behold.

Weaknesses: They are so focused on going forward that they can switch off at the back - the recent 3-2 win over Deportivo La Coruna being a case in point. Argentine Messi is a definite non-starter in the quarter-finals and what happens if they lose Ronaldinho to injury?

Your verdict:
The only problem Barca has is that they are favourites and carry that burden. Unless they lose their nerve, they should get the coveted prize.
Krishnakumar, India

I would not bet on Barcelona. Their attack is just fantastic but the best defence usually wins. Puyol and others are not trustworthy. Juve and Milan have the edge.
Jean-Christophe Meillon, France

Benfica

Odds: 16/1

Form: The only second-placed team from the group stages to reach the last eight, they have exceeded all expectations and picked up Jose Mourinho as a fan in the process.
CL record this season: P8 W4 D2 L2 F8 A5
Match report: Liverpool 0-2 Benfica (agg 0-3)

Strengths: A good defensive unit with some eye-catching performers further up the field in Geovanni, Fabrizio Miccoli and Simao Sabrosa - a combination that has helped see off both Manchester United and Liverpool.

Weaknesses: While the team may now play without pressure, it is a different story for manager Ronald Koeman as Benfica trail Porto in the race for the Portuguese title. Can look pedestrian at times.

Your verdict:
Benfica look like serious competition to Barcelona for the trophy this season. It would not surprise me if both of these teams reach the final.
Roy Evans, England

Some may under-estimate Benfica as being the weakest team left in, but knocking out the holders Liverpool as well as Manchester United is some achievement.
Steve, UK

Inter Milan

Odds: 17/2

Form: They were sitting pretty in the Serie A top four, but following Roma's amazing run of wins they will now have to focus on staying in a Champions League qualifying spot as well as the competition itself.
CL record this season: P9 W5 D3 L1 F14 A7
Match report: Ajax 2-2 Inter Milan

Strengths: Adriano is Ronaldo's heir apparent for Brazil and is a bruising, bundle of energy with the ability to torment the best defences in the tournament, as his four goals in six games this season show.

Weaknesses: Inter flatter to deceive and remain inconsistent despite the millions spent on the team. Marco Materazzi looks like an accident waiting to happen in defence and manager Roberto Mancini's future at the club is far from certain.

Your verdict:
Inter Milan have a wealth of talent yet they haven't been mentioned as serious contenders. Zanetti has been one of the most consistent players in Europe for nigh on 10 years and that man Adriano is up there with the best. Mancini is no mug and if the players are in the mood then they could surprise the more fancied teams.
James Green, UK

They are clearly under-rated and with the likes of Adriano, Figo, Veron and Martins they can easily step up a gear and win the Champions League.
Manveer, England

Juventus

Odds: 4/1

Form: Top of Serie A but after qualifying from the group stages ahead of Bayern Munich they struggled to beat another German outfit, Werder Bremen.
CL record this season: P8 W6 D0 L2 F16 A9
Match report: Juventus 2-1 W Bremen (agg 4-4)

Strengths: The midfield duo of Emerson and Patrick Vieira have clicked and in attack David Trezeguet, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Pavel Nedved can give any defence the run-around on their day.

Weaknesses: An ageing defence may creak if tested by an audacious attacking force, although Gianluigi Buffon remains an awesome presence in goal. Will speculation over Fabio Capello's future distract the players? Time will tell.

Your verdict:
It has got to be Juventus for me! They look a strong side, especially with Vieira in the middle now. Italian sides are hard to break down, they rode there luck against Werder Bremen, but I think that's a wake-up call for them! They look stronger than last year and it will take a good side to beat them.
Chris Clow, UK

Remember Porto's late goal at Man Utd or Gerrard's goal last year versus Olympiakos? Juventus are a very good side and will feel their name is on the trophy after getting out of jail against Werder Bremen. Arsenal's chances depend on Henry avoiding injury.
Chris Bright, UK

Lyon

Odds: 6/1

Form: Gerard Houllier's team are unbeaten away from home in Le Championnait and with the French title seemingly in the bag all eyes are on the Champions League final on home soil in Paris.
CL record this season: P8 W7 D1 L0 F18 A4
Match report: Lyon 4-0 PSV (agg 5-0)

Strengths: Lyon were supposed to struggle after selling Michael Essien to Chelsea, but Tiago came in the other direction and has added more goals to an exciting midfield bossed by Brazilian playmaker Juninho Pernambucano.

Weaknesses: Despite dominating their domestic league for five years they have repeatedly failed on foreign fields, never progressing past the quarter-finals, and they will have to cope without Juninho in the next match.

Your verdict:
Lyon is my bet. Even Ronaldinho would be losing sleep at the prospect of facing an in-form and fully-fit Lyon squad.
Adrian, Australia

Lyon will win the Champions League. Their style of play and strength in midfield will get them through if they can keep their big guns fit. Having watched them destroy Real Madrid in the group stages they do not show any signs of weakness in any areas. I'd like to see them face Barcelona in the final.
Tony Deacey, England

Villarreal

Odds: 14/1

Form: A long way off the pace in Spain, but have enjoyed their first outing in Europe's top competition in a run in which they have seen off Everton, Manchester United and Rangers.
CL record this season: P10 W4 D6 L0 F10 A6
Match report: Villarreal 1-1 Rangers (agg 3-3)

Strengths: Manchester United misfit Diego Forlan is their main marksman but it is Juan Roman Riquelme who pulls the strings. The Argentine maestro is at the hub of a free-flowing passing game in front of a tight, organised defence.

Weaknesses: Despite Forlan sharing last season's golden shoe award with Thierry Henry, this season's a different matter and goals have been hard to come by in the Champions League with only three in the group stage.

Your verdict:
Villarreal are a class act. The attacking flair they have at their disposal is second only to Barca and in Riquelme they have a genius, one of the best players in the world. They will surprise all of Europe this season.
Michael Carachi, Scotland

They are the weakest team left in the competition and should be knocked out in the last eight. Their goalkeeper is terrible and the back four are unconvincing.
Stuart Coutts, Scotland

# Odds supplied by William Hill

-BBC Sports

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Zé Tahir said:
AC Milan
I can't see anyone staging an upset and it's all about the battle between Barca and AC Milan. [b]My money's on AC Milan, especially after losing the way they did last year.[/b] The 4-1 win against Bayern proves they are a massive threat.
James Wood, England[/QUOTE]

Afterall, it did them a world of good after the way they lost to Deportivo the year before, Mr. Wood. :rolleyes2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)