[Champions League] JUVENTUS 2-2 Chelsea (03/10/2009) (20 Viewers)

Man of the Match

• Buffon

• Grygera

• Mellberg

• Chiellini

• Molinaro

• Nedved

• Tiago

• Marchisio

• Iaquinta

• Trezeguet

• Del Piero

• Giovinco

• Alberto Undiano Mallenco (ref)

• Juventus (team play)

Results are only viewable after voting.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
I don't understand why anyone would even consider bashing Ranieri for yesterday's performance, formation and tactics. He did more than good, his subs were spot on, probably he would have changed couple of things had the ref not booked Chiellini the 2nd time.

One mistake we did and I consider it as a tough luck is that we didn't score in London, other than that, I'm satisfied with Ranieri in Champions League and League.

With a couple of players, and be careful only couple of players and we can do the unthinkable, but fact is Ranieri did his best last night with a team that had to play without 4 key players and an injured Nedved in the first 8min.

Now lets move forward and look to the Bologna match.
I dont think anybody is bashing him for yesterday's performance but the tactics and formation were forced upon him.

Like Avram Grant at Chelsea when he had all those players out, he had no other choice but to start with what he had so let us go easy on the praise there.

We lost the game at Stamford bridge, a game that you and too many others were applauding that performance.

I will still ask this question though, why was Amauri benched?

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Juventus are synomynous with champions league more than Chelsea and much more than Villareal but keep on playing the victims of low finances and bad draws as the world would feel sorry for you if you cry loud enough
Personally, I don't buy this low finance thing. And I don't believe Chelsea are through because they have a milliarder Russian man behind the desk. I can give one page full of examples on how cash has nothing to do with success as much as it's unity, prestige and playing one match at a time.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
No I would not have started with him I would have brought him on.

In case you have not noticed I aint a sentimentalist and I would not start Nedved as I feel we have better alternatives.

Emphasis on finishing the game not starting the game, you know the way France were able to beat Italy with all those attacking players on the field with only Deschamps as the covering midfielder.

Look at the others moaning about Villareal playing Panathinakos and we meeting the big bad wolves Chelsea

Remind me again what group Panathinaikos won to qualify, yes its the same group that Inter Milan that has dominated the Italian championship were in and Chelsea were soundly beaten 3-1 by a Roma side floundering in SerieA, all this season.

Who gives a rat's ass what group Villareal qualifed from, how much did the most expensive player in their team cost and look at the brand of football they play and not just this season either as they have qualified for the semis of the champions league as well.

If only they could defend then id tip them to go far. And what makes any of you guys think this Chelsea side would have beaten them?

And you Alen since you are so hot on stat and all of that remind everyone how Chelsea got to the finals of last year.

What exactly is wrong with Aalborg, Celtic and Panathinaikos? Aalborg did thrash Deportivo la Coruna home and away and they drew with United at Old trafford while Panathinaikos eliminated Werder Bremen that has just eliminated Milan in the UeFa cup and by all acounts outplayed them in both legs.

It does not matter who you beat or what teams were in your group after all Real Madrid have just been humiliated by Liverpool, the facts still remain that Villareal are there and we are not.

Juventus are synomynous with champions league more than Chelsea and much more than Villareal but keep on playing the victims of low finances and bad draws as the world would feel sorry for you if you cry loud enough
You can't look at it that way. Pana beat Inter, Inter beat Napoli, Napoli beat us, we beat Roma, Roma beat Chelsea, Aalborg trash La Coruna, Real beat La Coruna, we beat Real, Real beat Villareal, Villareal beat Pana, Pana beat Inter, Inter beat us......you'll run in circles.

The only thing that counts is that it's not the same thing to get Chelsea or Panathinaikos but you so conviniently tried to sell us the story of the successful Villareal on one side, with the awfully managed Juve on the other side.

Luca

Apr 22, 2007
I was thinking of this too myself. 4-3-2-1 for next year would be great, a little less work on Del Piero and a great exprience matches for Seba.

Something like this I've been thinking about for next year or even try it now

Buffon

Zebina - Legro - Chiellini - Molinaro

Marchisio - Sissoko - NedvedHamsik would be a great buy if we were to play this

Giovinco - Del Piero

Amauri/Trezeguet​
^^

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
I dont think anybody is bashing him for yesterday's performance but the tactics and formation were forced upon him.

Like Avram Grant at Chelsea when he had all those players out, he had no other choice but to start with what he had so let us go easy on the praise there.

We lost the game at Stamford bridge, a game that you and too many others were applauding that performance.

I will still ask this question though, why was Amauri benched?
There's a difference applauding for the score-sheet and applauding the performance your team put.

No matter how you want to look at, even if you take it from all corners, we were te better team overall in both legs. We dominated Chelsea in London, we were unfortunate not to score, Nedved, Ale and Trezeguet were close but that's it.

As for Amauri, I think it's obvious, Ranieri wanted speedy legs upfront and since Iaquinta is faster and can put much more pressure on opponents than Amauri it was a spot on to start him ahead of Amauri. He runs more.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
You know, who i would love to blame for our exit other than Ranieri,bloody Abramovich,had he not sacked Scolari,i truly believe we could have conquered Chelsea in both legs...Hiddink is just too good
Why is Hiddink too good? Am i missing something or did Juventus get the better of Chelsea over both legs?

If not the usual caution by most Italian managers we should have really gone for a goal at Stamford bridge and things would have been very different.

Apart from the fact that Drogba is now playing well, I do not see anything markedly different from Scolari era as all the games I have seen they have been lucky as they were against Wigan, Portsmouth and both games with us.

I knwo most of u guys hate Capello but like during his time, this is another lost opportunity as far as I am concerned as yet again we went out to a team that I feel we could and should have eliminated

Luca

Apr 22, 2007
I have a special one its the dp from that pic with a nice blue C.L like background, and it has the Juve and italy emblems in the corner

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
icεmαή;1926136 said:
Yesterday he showed anything but loser mentality Cronios... We can brag on about how the team showed fighting spirit n all that but you can't deny CRs influence on the game we played...
I partially agree, CR started with a very bold 4-3-3, BUT
i did not expect to see just one game,
(when he had no other options really, his hand was forced, due to injuries and score) to pass judgment on him.
CR proved many times over that he has a loser mentality, he insists with very limited players like Molinaro, because he is afraid to test the much talented Giovinco+DC.
Every time we score, he gives the order to fall back and defend the lead, despite the fact that we could score another one and our defense is too weak and unable to defend a lead, like Capellos Juve did...
We were disqualified from the CL, because we were too defensive, at London, both as formation and mentality. And yesterday he ordered our team to fall back and defend the lead til the HT, when we had the momentum, he also fielded the defensive Salih, only for that reason, despite the fact that it was crucial for us to score 2-3 more goals! As a result we conceded, it was bound to happen one way or another anyway and he was forced to correct his sub with another one ...
We were also disqualified from the cup, because CR chose to defend the away goal, when we had the momentum...
He will probably choose to defend the lead home, trusting our unreliable defense and repeat the same mistake again...

Our players were determined, not only because CR asked them to be, but because that was the most important match of the season for them individually.
Giovinco for ex has been treated miserable from CR all the season, you cant praise him, that he infused determination to Giovinco's efforts yesterday, history has already proven and will prove, that this is not true...
CR has always been a loser, his entire carrier has already proven that and comments like "there is always next year", are a clear indicator, of his mindset, even now...
Unfortunately Juventus fans have now become what Inter fans used to be always playing the victim card. The constant bashing of Inter, the constant blaming of outside forces , sound familiar?
I agree with that, we have only are selves to blame for this season.
Esp our summer transfer choices, our fate was sealed even before the season started...
The refs had minimal effect to the standings this season. And our limited potential performed good enough, considering its potential...

But i dont think that you would deny from Neddy a last chance to participate in the Cl, esp after all what happened...

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
You can't look at it that way. Pana beat Inter, Inter beat Napoli, Napoli beat us, we beat Roma, Roma beat Chelsea, Aalborg trash La Coruna, Real beat La Coruna, we beat Real, Real beat Villareal, Villareal beat Pana, Pana beat Inter, Inter beat us......you'll run in circles.

The only thing that counts is that it's not the same thing to get Chelsea or Panathinaikos but you so conviniently tried to sell us the story of the successful Villareal on one side, with the awfully managed Juve on the other side.
What are you talking about? You were the 1 that brought up the fact that Villareal were in an "easy" group and only had to get to the quarters by defeating lowly Panathinaikos.

This is a question to you and Stephen which of the 2 clubs Villareal or Juventus even in today's climate is richer and better suited to attract better players?

I am not so sure if playing Panathinaikos would have been easier or harder than playing Chelsea as there is always the question of motivation as there is no way we would not have been motivated for Chelsea but panathinaikos , I am not so sure.

No Stephen Chelsea and Villareal would not have been able to cope if they got relegated and lost half their stars but we still did not do much with our stars in champions league precalciopoli but thats not the issue here.

@ Azurri I was actually refering to straight fight between Amauri and Trezeguet not Iaquinta. I am still very surprised he did not start thats all as he caused probs in the 1st leg.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
SO?

They were lucky also yesterday then.
Would you not be disappointed if your team went down 2-1 to a team of not many quality players and with their best defender sent off?

I do not know how much of Chelsea you watch but I am not interested in the past or reputations of teams just what they are currently doing and currently Chelsea are not good and have not been since Mourinho left

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I do not know how much of Chelsea you watch but I am not interested in the past or reputations of teams just what they are currently doing and currently Chelsea are not good and have not been since Mourinho left
God knows what you expect of Juve if you don't consider the team that lost the CL Final on penalties to be a good team.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Would you not be disappointed if your team went down 2-1 to a team of not many quality players and with their best defender sent off?

I dont get your first sentence? not disappointed going down to a team with no quality players? with their defender sent off?

we lost our defender, and chelsea are the more quality side.

Second point, you say you are not interested of the past, yet you say chelsea havent been good since Mourinho left. :shifty:

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
What are you talking about? You were the 1 that brought up the fact that Villareal were in an "easy" group and only had to get to the quarters by defeating lowly Panathinaikos.

This is a question to you and Stephen which of the 2 clubs Villareal or Juventus even in today's climate is richer and better suited to attract better players?

I am not so sure if playing Panathinaikos would have been easier or harder than playing Chelsea as there is always the question of motivation as there is no way we would not have been motivated for Chelsea but panathinaikos , I am not so sure.

No Stephen Chelsea and Villareal would not have been able to cope if they got relegated and lost half their stars but we still did not do much with our stars in champions league precalciopoli but thats not the issue here.

@ Azurri I was actually refering to straight fight between Amauri and Trezeguet not Iaquinta. I am still very surprised he did not start thats all as he caused probs in the 1st leg.
First, you were the one who came up with this Villarreal, saying how they are in quarters and we are not.

Come on, its obvious playing pana is easier then playing chelsea.

Which club is more suited and richer, we or villarreal? I dont know. Its a difficult q, and to be honest, i dont see many star names going to villarreal. They have been building their team for years, its Pellegrinis long term project. We on the other hand come back from B.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
I partially agree, CR started with a very bold 4-3-3, BUT
i did not expect to see just one game,
(when he had no other options really, his hand was forced, due to injuries and score) to pass judgment on him.
CR proved many times over that he has a loser mentality, he insists with very limited players like Molinaro, because he is afraid to test the much talented Giovinco+DC.
Every time we score, he gives the order to fall back and defend the lead, despite the fact that we could score another one and our defense is too weak and unable to defend a lead, like Capellos Juve did...
We were disqualified from the CL, because we were too defensive, at London, both as formation and mentality. And yesterday he ordered our team to fall back and defend the lead til the HT, when we had the momentum, he also fielded the defensive Salih, only for that reason, despite the fact that it was crucial for us to score 2-3 more goals! As a result we conceded, it was bound to happen one way or another anyway and he was forced to correct his sub with another one ...
We were also disqualified from the cup, because CR chose to defend the away goal, when we had the momentum...
He will probably choose to defend the lead home, trusting our unreliable defense and repeat the same mistake again...

Our players were determined, not only because CR asked them to be, but because that was the most important match of the season for them individually.
Giovinco for ex has been treated miserable from CR all the season, you cant praise him, that he infused determination to Giovinco's efforts yesterday, history has already proven and will prove, that this is not true...
CR has always been a loser, his entire carrier has already proven that and comments like "there is always next year", are a clear indicator, of his mindset, even now...

I agree with that, we have only are selves to blame for this season.
Esp our summer transfer choices, our fate was sealed even before the season started...
The refs had minimal effect to the standings this season. And our limited potential performed good enough, considering its potential...

But i dont think that you would deny from Neddy a last chance to participate in the Cl, esp after all what happened...
I am not denying him anything but I do not think we should let that champions league final miss cloud our judgment on this player.

He has played far too many games for my liking this season as his form has not deserved it.

I am not saying he should not play or whatever but why almost every frigging minute.

You are very correct with the Ranieri approach of gently gently catchy monkey approach as it has not worked and I have said it before we were too cautious in London and perhaps we could have tried going for more goals after going 1 goal up.

But the lasting image is changing 1 striker for another with just 12 minutes to go, now that was far too cautious.

Mourinho may start a game with 9 defenders but I am very sure last night there is no way he would have taken off Trez for Amauri with us needing a goal and all but like I have said countless of times, last night was alright, 2 weeks ago was pants.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
And i'm still saying it, but you countered it with the fact that Panathinaikos beat Inter. So did Atalanta but playing vs Chelsea and Atalanta in CL isn't the same.
You try to downplay Chelsea's top quality and you overrate Villareal and Panathinaikos, just to prove a point.

You can't do it.
Chelsea are a much better and stronger team than Villareal and PAO whichever way you look at it and Villareal's 1/4 final participance has everything to do with the draw back in December. Let Villareal eliminate a strong team in the 1/4's and only then you will have a point to argue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 19)