Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
It appeared that plans for the long-rumored European Super League were shelved following a joint announcement that UEFA and the ECA were agreeing to stick with the current structure of club soccer in Europe through 2024. However, a new report from the Wall Street Journal (paywalled)says that the two sides are meeting this week to discuss any and all possible changes.

edited for brevity
There's some way to go yet, it seems. If this is the ECA and UEFA meeting? The ECA has 109 ordinary members, and so I can't see that the majority would be in favour of a 32 team fixed league with promotion and relegation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Club_Association

Then again, the Nations League already has a similar format. So maybe this does have legs. Worth watching.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
There's some way to go yet, it seems. If this is the ECA and UEFA meeting? The ECA has 109 ordinary members, and so I can't see that the majority would be in favour of a 32 team fixed league with promotion and relegation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Club_Association

Then again, the Nations League already has a similar format. So maybe this does have legs. Worth watching.
The 5 top leagues are pushing for it and they have the bigger pull

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
The 5 top leagues are pushing for it and they have the bigger pull
So, by my reckoning that's:

Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Tottenham, Lyon, Bordeaux, Marseille, PSG, Bayern, Schalke, Borussia Dortmund, Werder Bremen, Stuttgart, Inter, AC Milan, Roma, Juventus, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico, Sevilla, Valencia.

If I've counted correctly that's 23. So 9 places to fill. And I've assumed those 23 as they're the ordinary members of ECA from the big 5 leagues.

Could work. Not that diferent from CL, but the big clubs guaranteed annual entry and on a weekend.

Or two divisions of 16. That'd be an intense debate selecting the top 16!

I guess another sticking block would be what to do with those extra 9 places left, more to the big 5 (there's already some dodgy teams from France and Germany, but e.g. no Napoli) or would we see the likes of Holland / Portugal / Russia etc getting a team or two in? Surely Ajax and Porto would have to be there.

Notwithstanding how the national associations feel about it. I suspect it is the big teams from the big 5 leagues making the push, and not the league associations themselves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 30)