CF v SS (1 Viewer)

If Juve are to sign another forward, should it be a CF or SS?

• CF (Higuain, Ibrahimovic, etc.)

• SS (Jovetic, Sanchez, etc.)

• Don't care - just sign a great forward

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Somewhat curious about the direction things are headed in with Juve now being linked more with CFs than SSs.

Which of the two of them do you think Juve should sign?

If you want another CF, why do you want him:

Do you not trust Llorente;
Do you think Llorente will work better with a CF than a SS;
Are you happy with Juve's current SSs?

Or do you just not care and want Juve to sign the best forward they can and worry about forming a compatible partnership later?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I believe Llorente is gonna be in the first XI since first match. His wages are huge and there's no way we signed him for a rotation. That said, I don't see us getting another CF because it doesn't make sense. Also, I think Llorente would work much better with a SS. I'm far from happy with our current side strikers, neither Vucinic nor Giovinco are good enough to rely on to deliver.

My first pick would be Jovetic. Then I'd look on some other player, but IMO Jovetic - Llorente would be a hell of a partnership.

But what I think is going to happen is Juve bidding for Ibrahimovic first.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Eh, I wouldn't say Ibra is a typical CF. He does score goals, but he easily creates chances and covers the SS role.

But even if he is considered as a CF IMO he'd work amazing with Llorente while Higuain on the other hand... not so much.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
personally would prefer someone who is complete. a player like zlatan or suarex who can play as a spear head or with another striker.

i still think jovetic/sanchez are the primary targets. we tried for jovetic last year and i am sure we will do so again this year.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
We do need a SS more desperately than a CF, but I'd much rather sign Ibrahimovic than Sanchez or Jovetic.

Basically, I'd prefer a SS, but I'd rather sign a CF if the quality is considerably higher than for the SS we are offered.

Of course we would also need to take the partnership into consideration. Ibra-Llorente or Suarez-Llorente would be my preferred partnership.

...Not that either of those partnership is ever going to happen.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
My first pick would be Jovetic. Then I'd look on some other player, but IMO Jovetic - Llorente would be a hell of a partnership.

Really? You believe it to be worth spending close to 30m on a player like Jojo, who has done nothing more than Vucinic and Gio, our current lot, this season? Hes more injury prone than them, and has been just about as productive if not less. Not the best way forward IMO. Sanchez if anything would be a better acquisition, for tactical versatility and work rate alike.

But still, nothing would beat a Suarez-Llorente partnership IMO. Although I'd settle for Ibra-Llorente, who would mean a lack of pace upfront but would make up for it with their physical domination.

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006
We do need a SS more desperately than a CF, but I'd much rather sign Ibrahimovic than Sanchez or Jovetic.

Basically, I'd prefer a SS, but I'd rather sign a CF if the quality is considerably higher than for the SS we are offered.

Of course we would also need to take the partnership into consideration. Ibra-Llorente or Suarez-Llorente would be my preferred partnership.

...Not that either of those partnership is ever going to happen.
:agree:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Really? You believe it to be worth spending close to 30m on a player like Jojo, who has done nothing more than Vucinic and Gio, our current lot, this season? Hes more injury prone than them, and has been just about as productive if not less. Not the best way forward IMO. Sanchez if anything would be a better acquisition, for tactical versatility and work rate alike.

But still, nothing would beat a Suarez-Llorente partnership IMO. Although I'd settle for Ibra-Llorente, who would mean a lack of pace upfront but would make up for it with their physical domination.
Injury prone? He had 28 matches this season in Serie A, while Mirko has 30. So it's only 2 matches difference.

And please, how can you complain about Jovetic's not being effective enough this season, while at the same time you say how Sanchez would be a better signing? Seriously? Sanchez this season has only 6 goals and by far his weakest season probably. AT BARCA, who has all those players behind him.

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006
Injury prone? He had 28 matches this season in Serie A, while Mirko has 30. So it's only 2 matches difference.

And please, how can you complain about Jovetic's not being effective enough this season, while at the same time you say how Sanchez would be a better signing? Seriously? Sanchez this season has only 6 goals and by far his weakest season probably. AT BARCA, who has all those players behind him.
The problem is the player in the front of him who scores all their goals.

OP
Red

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #13
    Yeah, it's remarkably difficult to figure out how good, bad or indifferent Sanchez has been at Barca.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
    Sep 21, 2008
    Most important things for me are pace, workrate, intelligence and skill. All the big teams have players that fill those categories upfront.

I'm scared a Llorente-Higuain partnership would be too much like an early 2000s setup. I think the game of football at the highest level has changed significantly since then. If you have someone like Llorente, you definitely need the pace and workrate behind him.

I would prefer a SS if we're sticking with 3-5-2. If we are moving back to 4 man defense, then I would prefer wingers like Sanchez, Nani, Suarez (sure he could play wide), Robben.

Jul 1, 2010
    Most important things for me are pace, workrate, intelligence and skill. All the big teams have players that fill those categories upfront.

I'm scared a Llorente-Higuain partnership would be too much like an early 2000s setup. I think the game of football at the highest level has changed significantly since then. If you have someone like Llorente, you definitely need the pace and workrate behind him.

I would prefer a SS if we're sticking with 3-5-2. If we are moving back to 4 man defense, then I would prefer wingers like Sanchez, Nani, Suarez (sure he could play wide), Robben.
    Higuain has both of these attributes.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003

Mirko has missed games due to flu more often than injury IMO. But that's not what I'm debating. He is a more complete player and at the rate that Jojo is coming about, in comparison Mirko can still offer something more in the CL fr at least another two years.

Sanchez is plagued more by Messi than his own talent to be honest. He is more athletic in his game and better suited to counter attacking and running at players than Jojo in my opinion. And just as importantly, has had fewer injury problems.

Even if you would say they are negligible in terms of quality, price would be a determining factor too. Jojo is simply not worth 30m all things considered.

OP
    Red

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #20
    Anyway, I'd be going for a SS over a CF, if there is a choice.

I don't doubt that Juve could win again in Serie A by signing someone like Higuain and playing him with Llorente, but I don't see that pairing helping Juve make enough of a move forward to stand a good chance of doing well in the CL.

To make that step up I think they need to get a SS with good mobility, so that the option is there for Juve to play more of a counter-attacking game. Juve may be able to keep the ball pretty well with a Higuain-Llorente pairing, but I can't imagine them managing to move up the pitch quickly enough with those two to really scare top teams on the break. That's not to say Higuain is slow, but he doesn't have the sort of explosive pace of someone like Sanchez.

In Serie A it would also be hugely useful for Juve to have someone in their team who could beat their opponent in a one-on-one situation with some regularity. That's only likely to be added to Juve's repetoire if the go for a SS rather than a CF.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)