Celtic and Rangers to the EPL (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
Help me out here - what is that again precisely?
I don't know all the details, but basically it would be a league made up of teams who break away from their leagues in Europe to get better competition, potential members are Rangers, Celtic, some English 1st division teams, some Swiss teams, Rosenbourg, and some Portugese teams. Personally, I think it would be a very exciting league to watch...

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Oh right. I remember.

Well, it sounds like a good idea itself but only if these teams could still qualify for the CL and UEFAcup via that Phoenix competition. Otherwise it would be a very boring league to watch I reckon.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++

However....in time I suspect TV money will decide who plays where; and by that I don't just mean The Old Firm, but teams from every country....in other words a European League in ten...fifteen years.

What do you think Erik/Shadow?
I gather you mean league such as the much mooted european super league rather than a europe wide league system as that could never work.

The super league is an intresting idea but again i feel it couldnt work and would also destroy the various league systems.

It would mean no champions league or uefa cup for the worlds best teams as they would already be in the super league playing each other every week and as such there would be less tv money etc, etc.
Moneywise it would also condemn virtually all euro club sides outside of the super league to a financial death.

Onm top of that how would it work??

obviously the best teams from the major leagues would get in for the first yearbut how would you be relegated or promoted??

surely the team promoted could only replace a team from the same country otherwise you would have difdferent numbers in each countries leagues every year.. same goes for relegation.... personally i think it couldnt be done!!

back to you rover!!

Aug 30, 2002
The only way I would entertain Celtic and Rangers being in the EPL is if there was a GB national team, and that's not gonna happen.
We're just about at breaking point with the number of foreign players in the league as it is. If they joined the EPL not only would they contain possibly no English players but, also their youth academies would be void of any young English talent being nurtured through.

bongo10

Jun 11, 2003
like most of you said tired of seeing Celtic and Rangers beat the other teams
i wanna see them in EPL and see hoe they hang around with Man. United, Arsenal and Newcastle

OP
Vinman

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #28
    Like I said before, if the NBA, NHL, and even Major League Baseball can have teams from 2 different countries, than the EPL and SPL can figure out how to do it too !!!

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++
    Like I said before, if the NBA, NHL, and even Major League Baseball can have teams from 2 different countries, than the EPL and SPL can figure out how to do it too !!!
    All of those leagues work in very different ways though. They don't promote or demote, they do expansions and all that. The NHL was founded in Canada, and expanded to the US early in it's existence. The NBA and MLB both expanded to Canada...

It would be impractical, however for the EPL to take the Old Firm in, because it only two teams and that would make the schedules all crazy if they just added them on top.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)