Gianluigi Buffon (87 Viewers)

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
Unfortunatly league titles are valued a lot less since the early 90s... and it's fair, becuse winning CL is indeed harder.
What does that say about Milan that we almost have twice as much league titles than them? Amongst other things, this shows than they are not the best team in Italy, Juve dwarfs them. They're a smaller team that got more successes in Europe. If it was that easy to win league titles for the others, then Juve wouldn't have a lead of over 15 scudetti over its rivals.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
If it was one or two CL's they won yes, but with 5? I'm not sure about that really..
I'm almost certain Ronaldo values his Euro title with Portugal more than his CLs.

- - - Updated - - -

What does that say about Milan that we almost have twice as much league titles than them? Amongst other things, this shows than they are not the best team in Italy, Juve dwarfs them. They're a smaller team that got more successes in Europe. If it was that easy to win league titles for the others, then Juve wouldn't have a lead of over 15 scudetti over its rivals.
I agree with you, but I'm not a neutral and there are a lot of neutrals who rate Milan higher overall.

- - - Updated - - -

So who's the biggest clubs? I noticed many seems to think it's Barcelona or Real, although it's Real by a margin down to the next imo. Some also say it's United as they're apparently the most supported/known club.

I guess it will be up to the individual to judge and there for it always gets biased.
I'll try to be as objective as can: IMO Real and Bayern are the biggest because they're their countries both domestic and international best (no Spanisg team has more domestic or intl titles than Real, and no German club has more than Bayern).

This us why as Juve fans we absolutely cannot ever cheer for Milan EVER no matter what

Last edited:

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
I'm almost certain Ronaldo values his Euro title with Portugal more than his CLs.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with you, but I'm not a neutral and there are a lot of neutrals who rate Milan higher overall.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll try to be as objective as can: IMO Real and Bayern are the biggest because they're their countries both domestic and international best (no Spanisg team has more domestic or intl titles than Real, and no German club has more than Bayern).

This us why as Juve fans we absolutely cannot ever cheer for Milan EVER no matter what
So for you Bayern is up there as the biggest along with Real Madrid? One could make the case for it, but I think Barca as well should be mentioned, Milan in another era/decades, Juve, Man United, Liverpool and so on. Some seems to think Liverpool is a bigger club than Bayern and Juve for instance - I don't agree about that though - when you don't win a single league title for almost 30 years you can't be considered bigger.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
So for you Bayern is up there as the biggest along with Real Madrid? One could make the case for it, but I think Barca as well should be mentioned, Milan in another era/decades, Juve, Man United, Liverpool and so on. Some seems to think Liverpool is a bigger club than Bayern and Juve for instance - I don't agree about that though - when youf don't win a single league title for almost 30 years you can't be considered bigger.
Lemme try to explain my criteria:

A Milan fan says Milan is the greatest club, a Juve fan (or a neutral) responds but you're not even the greatest in Italy.

An MU fan says it is the greatest, a Pool fan responds we've won more internationally.

A Juve fan says we're the greatest, Milan fan says we've won more CLs and so on.

No one has such claims against Real fans and only Real fans can have such claims against Bayern fans.

Thus, as of now to me it's Real then Bayern.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016

A Milan fan says Milan is the greatest club, a Juve fan (or a neutral) responds but you're not even the greatest in Italy.

An MU fan says it is the greatest, a Pool fan responds we've won more internationally.

A Juve fan says we're the greatest, Milan fan says we've won more CLs and so on.

No one has such claims against Real fans and only Real fans can have such claims against Bayern fans.

Bayern's league isn't comparable to the other three historically wise, for me Barca overcame them

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016

You have a point, although one could say it's soon to be the two Spanish giants as Barca have 25 (soon 26 league titles), 30 copas and 5 CL titles like Bayern.

I mean their trophy cabinet is really impressive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Barcelona#Honours

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
You have a point, although one could say it's soon to be the two Spanish giants as Barca have 25 (soon 26 league titles), 30 copas and 5 CL titles like Bayern.

I mean their trophy cabinet is really impressive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Barcelona#Honours
Yeah Barca could do it, but still would have to over come Real in LaLiga titles to meet my criteria.

- - - Updated - - -

Bayern's league isn't comparable to the other three historically wise, for me Barca overcame them
Hmm dunno, they have produced 3 different CL winners.

Last edited:

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
Yeah Barca could do it, but still would have to over come Real in LaLiga titles to meet my criteria.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm dunno, they have produced 3 different CL winners.
I also wouldn't say the BL been weak historically. It was probably the best league back in the 70's, early 80's with a lot of teams in the European Cup finals and Uefa Cup as well. Not saying it was better than Serie A in it's prime, but it was a very strong league, in the early/mid 90's the BL was very strong as well.

German clubs lost many European finals though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germa...an_competitions#Champions_League/European_Cup

About Barca also: You don't rate national cup wins a lot or? Because having 30 Copas is really impressive imo

Last edited:

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
I also wouldn't say the BL been weak historically. It was probably the best league back in the 70's, early 80's with a lot of teams in the European Cup finals and Uefa Cup as well. Not saying it was better than Serie A in it's prime, but it was a very strong league, in the early/mid 90's the BL was very strong as well.

German clubs lost many European finals though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germa...an_competitions#Champions_League/European_Cup

About Barca also: You don't rate national cup wins a lot or? Because having 30 Copas is really impressive imo
With half of German NT playing in Italy? come on!

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
BTW the signs were there for Gigi to stop at the end of last season, but I understand that he wanted to try something new before he retires. He turned down many approaches during his spell here and could have gone to Milan, England or Spain at various points, but even he probably realises that he's considerably past his best level now. It probably crept in the season before, but you lose a lot more than just a footballer when someone like Buffon leaves, no matter who replaces him.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
BTW the signs were there for Gigi to stop at the end of last season, but I understand that he wanted to try something new before he retires. He turned down many approaches during his spell here and could have gone to Milan, England or Spain at various points, but even he probably realises that he's considerably past his best level now. It probably crept in the season before, but you lose a lot more than just a footballer when someone like Buffon leaves, no matter who replaces him.
Yeah some people here think he abandoned Juve, but the truth is he'd never start over Szczesny this season.

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
With half of German NT playing in Italy? come on!
Dortmund reached the Uefa Cup final against you guys in 1993, Bayern won it in 1996, Dortmund won the CL in 1997, Schalke won the Uefa cup same year, Bayern reached the CL final in 1999, I think it's fair to say the 90's were decent for German football.

Not comparing it to other leagues in this matter, just stating it wasn't bad at all.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Dortmund reached the Uefa Cup final against you guys in 1993, Bayern won it in 1996, Dortmund won the CL in 1997, Schalke won the Uefa cup same year, Bayern reached the CL final in 1999, I think it's fair to say the 90's were decent for German football.

Not comparing it to other leagues in this matter, just stating it wasn't bad at all.
Decent, yes. Very strong, no!

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
You guys with your CL bigger club arguments.

Ajax has more CLs than Juve. Are you telling me they are bigger club? Historically perhaps but in terms of modern day standings no way.

Nottingham Forrest who play god knows what english division has more CLs than Chelsea, Man city, Arseanal and Tottenham combined.

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunatly league titles are valued a lot less since the early 90s... and it's fair, becuse winning CL is indeed harder.
League titles were valued in 90s. Serie a was considered the best league in the 1990s. That isnt just my opinion. Journalists who worked then and top players share the view. All the best players played in serie a during 90s. Maradona, Ronaldo, Baggio, Zidane, van Basten etc. So it def had value. And for a long time you had to win it or 2nd to even participate in CL.

Now the competition isnt there. Back then it was. And many players say winning league is harder cause its 38 games and if you have to compete till end with another team its really challenging. While CL basically starts in february for a top team and its 6 games to get to final.

Real Madrid has only won 2 league titles since 2009.

There been discussion in England recently and many fans seem to agree that Liverpool would take exit v Bayern if it meant they win epl.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 87)