Cannavaro proud to be a Juventino (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gene

Dec 10, 2005
Fabio Cannavaro has committed his future to Juventus by insisting it’s wrong to solely blame former director general Luciano Moggi for Italian football’s problems.

Juve have been dragged into the centre of the ‘Calciopoli’ scandal after a number of intercepted telephone calls made by Moggi raised suspicions of alleged sporting fraud.

But Cannavaro has today defended the man who brought him to Turin, insisting the sport’s illness is much more widespread.

“This isn’t just about the Juventus directors,” he said at Italy’s Coverciano training base on Wednesday. “It’s about the whole system.

“There is the image that this is just about Juventus because the phone of our director was tapped,” he added.

“I’m surprised that a lot of people don’t seem to be involved because Moggi was a friend of everyone…

“It is right that those who have made mistakes must pay for them, but let us see what the sporting justice system rules.”

A number of referees are also part of the investigation, with Massimo De Santis being withdrawn from the World Cup as a result.

But Cannavaro insists that he never felt favoured by referees and underlined Juventus’ poor results in games officiated by that particular man in black.

“I never got the impression that the referees were biased,” added the stopper who also underlined today that he wouldn’t be stepping down as Italy captain.

“Refereeing mistakes have happened against us too. We had De Santis six times last season and hardly ever won.

“In fact, we lost the Italian Super Cup to Inter with him in charge when we had a [David] Trezeguet goal wrongly disallowed.”

Possible sanctions for Juventus, if charged and found guilty of any irregularities, could see them lose the last two titles and even face demotion to the Second Division.

“The last two years are not to be erased,” Cannavaro underlined. “I feel that we won those Scudetti on the pitch, they are mine.

“I was proud to be a Juventino and I still am. Serie B? I would have no problem playing in it. I have two years left on my contract and I want to respect it.”

Meanwhile, boss Marcello Lippi has reacted with amazement after his mobile phone number was accidentally published by the L’Espresso magazine.

They have apologised for the error even if the Coach has conceded that he may subsequently take legal action.

- Channel 4

Always love this guy...

Buy on AliExpress.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)