Bravo Del Piero. MOM against Moldova 2-1 (1 Viewer)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Codino ] ++

my trident would be gilardino, toni and totti

bench: (its all up for grabs)
Gila's form has to improve if he is to be a starter in Germany IMO. It's fair to say that he hasn't made a good start to his Milan career and the likes of Bonazzoli, Iaquinta, Lucarelli and even Del Piero are playing better football. DP hasn't been playing as regularly as Gila but the quality in his performances has certainly been higher.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Majed

Jul 17, 2002

i dont like 2 big strikers together, so i wouldnt like 2 little ones together either. but i see ur point

-------------------------------toni

delpiero-----------------------------totti

sort of?
I recall a great performance with all of DP, Totti, Vieri, and Camo on the field. It was a friendly against Germany in 2004 (or was it late '03). Italy played 4-2-3-1 and won the game convincingl, but only 1-0.

Trap used that formation, but scrapped it for Euro 2004. Totti's dissmisal didn't help Trap though.

Espectro

The Grimreaper
Jul 12, 2002
Del Piero answers his critics
Wednesday 12 October, 2005
Alessandro Del Piero was the star of the show against Moldova, answering those critics who claim he shouldn’t go to the World Cup.

“I am very satisfied with my performance, although of course to score a goal would’ve been the icing on the cake,” said the captain after Italy’s 2-1 win. “The most important thing was to play well for 90 minutes, as I’ve scored many goals in my career, so I don’t mind being left empty-handed.”

The Juventus man was in the headlines this week, as Coach Marcello Lippi announced that Del Piero was by no means certain of a place in the 2006 World Cup squad, especially if he continues to warm the bench in Turin.

“I have nothing to say to that, as it was his right to make that consideration. I think we are all in the running for this squad and the tactician should be free to make his choices. If someone has a poor season in the run-up to the tournament, then it’s understandable he’ll be dropped. Obviously I hope to play a lot of football – and of good quality – but all I can do is give 100 per cent when I’m on the field.”

The Stadio Via del Mare crowd was right behind Del Piero and he certainly appreciated the support after being such a bone of contention in the Press.

“This match represents an important step for me, but the entire campaign will be more decisive. I must thank the people of Lecce for cheering me on, as it gave me a great deal tonight.”

Azzurri legend Gigi Riva also rushed to Del Piero’s defence following the reams of newspaper print on his status.

“Del Piero was very motivated and really wanted to prove a point tonight. Nonetheless, we should not be remotely surprised by this performance, as he is a world class player and has been proving that for the last 10 years.”

Bianconeri team-mate Gianluca Zambrotta gave an insider’s view on the situation at Juventus this season.

“Alessandro has never been questioned in my eyes, as he has proved he’s on great form and tonight took people on with great ease. It’s clear that he’s not happy at being on the bench, but there are many world class players at Juventus and he’s willing to wait his turn.”

Italy have completed their World Cup qualifying campaign with seven wins, two draws and just one defeat – having scored 17 goals and conceded eight. Norway enter the play-offs from Group Five.

“We played well and certainly improved after the break, creating several scoring opportunities,” added Zambrotta. “The important thing was to maintain this good run of results.

Codino

The Rival
Jul 21, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
Gila's form has to improve if he is to be a starter in Germany IMO.
his form hasnt been bad at all. its been over shadowed by a better striker by the name of shevchenko. i think they work well together and he'll learn alot from him.

and for ur previous comment, yeh i agree delpiero played well, but ill ask u this. u being a big fan of his, arent u a bit worried that he loses the ball too many times a match?

he played very well in spurts today. the media said this was his 'last chance' (even though there is still a whole season to be played LOL), but this was delpiero day. we won, we r in germany. everyones happy.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003

his form hasnt been bad at all. its been over shadowed by a better striker by the name of shevchenko. i think they work well together and he'll learn alot from him.

and for ur previous comment, yeh i agree delpiero played well, but ill ask u this. u being a big fan of his, arent u a bit worried that he loses the ball too many times a match?

he played very well in spurts today. the media said this was his 'last chance' (even though there is still a whole season to be played LOL), but this was delpiero day. we won, we r in germany. everyones happy.
yeah i think thats the difference between him and totti, totti can make those runs without losing the ball as much.

also about Gila....R U KIDDING ME ??????
he misses more chances than anyone i ever seen.I mean this guy gets service from the best of the best in the azzuri and milan and he still misses a whole lot. And that free header that he missed after a great team move and Bobo's cross.It just shows how bad his form is ...

Stu

Jul 14, 2002

IMO Gila's form has been quite disappointing. He's scored twice I think it is but I'm not hitting on him because he isn't scoring as frequently as some suspected he might but because of his overall performances. He doesn't get involved in the build-up, gives the ball away quite a bit and on the whole just isn't that effective. I'm sure that he'll just keep getting better and better but he hasn't made a good start to the season as far as I'm concerned.

About Del Piero, all players have strengths and weaknesses and that is one of DP's weaknesses. He coughs up possession but makes up for it with goals and the type of passing and assists that we saw last night, just like how Zlatan's weakness is trying to do too much with the ball but he makes up for it with his ability to retain possession and simply do amazing things.

lavenderguy

Feb 28, 2005
sad to see alex in the kappa euro2000 jersey.....=(
but he is stil my hero no matter how...he must go to Italy even not in starting 11...but i think the whole squad only he or totti can create!!
off topic: Bahrain went into the playoff...i was very upset about it...Ubez should hav got a better chance if not for the stupid Jap ref.....
anyway, forza azzuri, forza dp!

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++

I recall a great performance with all of DP, Totti, Vieri, and Camo on the field. It was a friendly against Germany in 2004 (or was it late '03). Italy played 4-2-3-1 and won the game convincingl, but only 1-0.

Trap used that formation, but scrapped it for Euro 2004. Totti's dissmisal didn't help Trap though.
I wanted to see that as-well.....Too bad Totti screwed that up...

paulo

Aug 14, 2002
Forza Alex! Good to see the others getting a chance to play too, and above all that both Vieri and Gila scored.:)

However I still don't know what to expect from Lippi's team in the WC. On paper, the defence looks fantastic (except in right back), the attack too, also many choices in midfield and in goal. Yet they conceded 8 goals in 10 games, and I still don't see Lippi having a favorite staring eleven figured out. And with no more qualifiers to play, how will he make a team capabale of challenging every oposition in Germany? Hope he knows what he's doing.

IbraSWE

Nov 8, 2005
++ [ originally posted by David Del Piero ] ++
Vieri sucks so much, Imagine Italy with Henrik Larsson ;) he wouldve got a hat-trick. 2 tall,slow peg-legged strikers upfront. Del Piero makes the difference. Why not let Gilardino get all the playtime instead of Vieri and Iaquinta, since he is the future of Italian football. Lippi should try this when experimenting:

--------Gilardino
Del Piero----Cassano
Bra ide med henke där! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)