Books you're reading (63 Viewers)

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I read Crime and Punishment. How does it compare?
Almost a decade ago since I read that book, so I cant really say alot (will re-read it), but I remember even if I eventually liked it, I found it overbearing and bit too heavy at times to get through (my age then plays a factor), while with Karamazov, I couldnt really put it down for one second. When usually you need a regular breaks when reading high literature like these.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Alright, I'll get to it then. People like Dostoyevsky have too many works, I'm not going to read all of them so I figured I'd do Crime and Punishment (seemed the most esteemed at the time) until I figure out which other ones are worth putting on the list.

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
Almost a decade ago since I read that book, so I cant really say alot (will re-read it), but I remember even if I eventually liked it, I found it overbearing and bit too heavy at times to get through (my age then plays a factor), while with Karamazov, I couldnt really put it down for one second. When usually you need a regular breaks when reading high literature like these.

karamazov is great, it was engrossing and easier than I expected. I read the possessed years ago, and while i thought it was excellent, it was quite difficult for me at the time.
@Martin-definitely add it to your list!

@Bes Camus is very enjoyable, and pretty easy. haven't tried it in french though

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
Apr 22, 2005
fiction or nonfiction? or just favourites?

A La Recherche du temps perdu/Proust
Les Miserables/Hugo
Count of Monte Cristo/Dumas
1984/Orwell
Lolita/Nabokov
Jude the Obscure/Hardy

i wouldn't say they're the best every, but they are some of my favourites
Favorites really , just great books you have read and rate highly. I have read the count of monte cristo a while ago and will take a look at the others..thanks

I have favourites, too many to mention, from various interesting genres.

But easily by far the best book I have read and which everyone should read is The Brothers Karamazov of Fyodor Dostoyevsky. Writing at its best IMO. Usually have it hard thinking of anything as the absolute certain best and such, but this one is by some margin.

Another dinstinctive favourite, which is one I re-read every year (when I normally never re-read books), is Oscar Wilde's Picture of Dorian Gray. And I re-read it because it doesnt give you the sense that you know this all already as with most other things, but that his prose is so insanely rich and witty that you feel you are reading it for the first time ever time (its all about the prose for this wordsmith, the plot isnt really as important).

I have heard much praise for The Brothers of Karamazov, Personally i haven't had the pleasure of reading any of Dostoyevsky works but will pick up a copy and see what the rave is all about :p Will also have to check out Oscar Wilde's Picture of Dorian Gray, you really should get into advertising!

I really do miss the days where i would get submersed in books, it was such a relaxing activity and want to pick it up again The reason i posted the "Top 5" or whatever was just really to get a list of personal favorites from some of our members here. Im trying to get back into the habit of less internet and more book reading and needed some good picks to keep me going. Anyways thanks for you picks and will let you know how it goes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 59)