Barca plan Zambrotta bid (7 Viewers)

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Desmond ] ++
no one wants to blame the defence??where did you get that one from?
Everyone is blaming Buffon, in this thread at least.

all i'm saying is that the GK is the first one to get scrutinized because he's the most obvious culprit,i know the defence sucked big time this year.i do agree that VDS has had great seasons before,and i loved him for those.gigi got more than his share of the credit too last season.

i just don't know why gigi is still being named as the best keeper on the planet without question untouchable irrepaceable in a class of his own better than dino zoff world class nerves of steel amazing better than kahn canizares toldo etc etc.
I never said he was better than Dino Zoff, not by a long shot, but I think that he is among the top three goalkeepers on the planet and by far the most influential player on the team. The only player that's better than him is Zambrotta, but because Zombrotta plays left back, he is less important to the team, so Buffon is the only irreplaceable player...

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
desmond,
I have high regards for your post but criticizing Buffon is not on. Yes, I do agree that Buffon did not have a great season, possibly his worst one since his amazing 0-0 debut against Rossineri. But I have seen him since he was 17year old and all I can say is that there havent been a GK that I have seen shown more talent and ability than Gigi. Buffon is tall a la Schemichael, but he has athletic ability of Perruzi IMO. His shot stopping ability is out of this world, because he combine his long frame (His long arm helps too) with quick reaction to become formiddable world in front of goal. His only weakness IMO is that he isnt as brave GK as Peter or Angelo in their primes, and he tend to punch the ball bit too much even if he is excellent puncher of the ball.
Overall, Gigi is simply the best and most reliable one out there in the world.
While I think VDS enjoyed a great career, he was obviously on his downhill by the time he joined us. And his mistakes against Nakata, Salas, Sosa cost us dear in Lotti's last year. I certainly doesnt want to go back to that era again.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
i simply realized that so many of the people here have the idea of buffon being the best in the world so firmly etched in their minds that i should just let buffon's performances speak for themselves.

until buffon offers me more evidence of his many overlooked shortcomings(i won't have to wait very long,trust me) i'll refrain from getting into more debates with people who simply are not receptive.

Jul 12, 2002
i simply realized that so many of the people here have the idea of buffon being the best in the world so firmly etched in their minds that i should just let buffon's performances speak for themselves.

until buffon offers me more evidence of his many overlooked shortcomings(i won't have to wait very long,trust me) i'll refrain from getting into more debates with people who simply are not receptive.
For sure Buffon has shortcomings, and I've been the one to point them out for a long time, but he is nevertheless the most important single player on the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)