Ballon d'Or (8 Viewers)

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
Didn't even put the mother fucker in the TOP FIVE! :lol2:

He won six trophies that season, the most EVER in a single season by any team in the world, and scored more goals in the league than anyone in 50 years.

Yea, not in my top five.
This was the year after the treble, the Ballon d'Or was cancelled in 2020. In 2021 he just won the BL if I remember right.

He broke Gerd Müllers nearly 50 year old record which I think was the reason he came so close to win it.

2020 he should've won by a landslide of course.

Buy on AliExpress.com

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
But lets be fair, the Ballon d'Or has been massively flawed for around a decade or more now. The Golden Shoe might be flawed, but at least scoring the most goals in the top5 leagues in the world is a bigger achievement than doing the same in the Portugal, Netherlands etc. There for I think it's fair they're given more points.

France is also counted the same as the other top 4.

My problem with Ballon d'Or and these other awards is they're so biased and just a PR stunt these days. At least the Golden Shoe, even if flawed just determines who scores the most in the top5 leagues, no silly voting and bias deciding anything.
Well I don't see much difference between France and Portugal for example. And Portugal has fewer games. So let's say Ronaldo goes back to Sporting, competes against 2 other relatively big clubs and the rest of the competition isn't bad either. He scores 40 goals in 34 games. Then Messi scores 30 goals in 38 games for PSG, but Messi is higher on the list. Dutch league imo is currently a bit behind, but historically it's up there with Portugal. I don't think the difference is that high to justify such multipliers.

Balon dor is flawed too, but overall it's a bigger award in terms of what it stands for. Much bigger I would dare to say. If golden boot would factor in CL/EL and cups for example, so you get a overall best goalscorer, that would make it more interesting

Apr 12, 2004
Well I don't see much difference between France and Portugal for example. And Portugal has fewer games. So let's say Ronaldo goes back to Sporting, competes against 2 other relatively big clubs and the rest of the competition isn't bad either. He scores 40 goals in 34 games. Then Messi scores 30 goals in 38 games for PSG, but Messi is higher on the list. Dutch league imo is currently a bit behind, but historically it's up there with Portugal. I don't think the difference is that high to justify such multipliers.

Balon dor is flawed too, but overall it's a bigger award in terms of what it stands for. Much bigger I would dare to say. If golden boot would factor in CL/EL and cups for example, so you get a overall best goalscorer, that would make it more interesting
All you're talking about is taking these and making the highest 2.0 and then Spain 1.9, followed by Italy 1.8, and so on down to where it just stays "1" down to Moldova.

1666126666149.png

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
All you're talking about is taking these and making the highest 2.0 and then Spain 1.9, followed by Italy 1.8, and so on down to where it just stays "1" down to Moldova.

1666126666149.png
Yes I guess. But also some leagues like Germany, Portugal, Netherlands have fewer games, and then some have even fewer games, so maybe adjust numbers to equal number of games. Because if you score 36 in 34 available games that's better than scoring 37 in 38 available games

Apr 12, 2004
I don't know if it's enough to make a difference, though. By my own math, you're talking about a negligible difference. 36x1.97 vs 37x2 or 1.99 or 1.98.

Is it really THAT big a difference? I guess we could just go with a pseudo head-to-head.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
I don't know if it's enough to make a difference, though. By my own math, you're talking about a negligible difference. 36x1.97 vs 37x2 or 1.99 or 1.98.

Is it really THAT big a difference? I guess we could just go with a pseudo head-to-head.
It is if it's close. If you have two guys going toe to toe all season, small details can decide. 4 games are a lot for a striker who is in top goal scoring form

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
But lets be fair, the Ballon d'Or has been massively flawed for around a decade or more now. The Golden Shoe might be flawed, but at least scoring the most goals in the top5 leagues in the world is a bigger achievement than doing the same in the Portugal, Netherlands etc. There for I think it's fair they're given more points.

France is also counted the same as the other top 4.

My problem with Ballon d'Or and these other awards is they're so biased and just a PR stunt these days. At least the Golden Shoe, even if flawed just determines who scores the most in the top5 leagues, no silly voting and bias deciding anything.
Ballon Dor is based on voting so perception/subjectivity comes in and possible politicization. Thats always been the case though. It measures who the voters think has been best in the last period and baked into that will be all their opinions and biases and any misinformation. Having said that, "Best player" is an ambigious term can mean very different things to different people and depending on the players positions as well. So any way you cut it there will always be some bias in it. Its only in extreme cases when 1 or 2 players are so clearly above everyone else in their position and have won everything there is to win does it become uncontroversial. But anytime thats not the case it'll be controversial.

Golden ball is more objective because its mathematical but like someone said "greatness" or "best" is not necessarily reducible to just goals scored. As long as you're aware of what its measuring then there is no issue with it. Ballon Dor is most prestigious award because it measures perception of folks whose job is to report on Football. Doesnt mean its perfect but that has lots of prestige. Similar to the Oscars or Golden Globes. Subjective but prestigious af

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Ballon Dor is based on voting so perception/subjectivity comes in and possible politicization. Thats always been the case though. It measures who the voters think has been best in the last period and baked into that will be all their opinions and biases and any misinformation. Having said that, "Best player" is an ambigious term can mean very different things to different people and depending on the players positions as well. So any way you cut it there will always be some bias in it. Its only in extreme cases when 1 or 2 players are so clearly above everyone else in their position and have won everything there is to win does it become uncontroversial. But anytime thats not the case it'll be controversial.

Golden ball is more objective because its mathematical but like someone said "greatness" or "best" is not necessarily reducible to just goals scored. As long as you're aware of what its measuring then there is no issue with it. Ballon Dor is most prestigious award because it measures perception of folks whose job is to report on Football. Doesnt mean its perfect but that has lots of prestige. Similar to the Oscars or Golden Globes. Subjective but prestigious af
:boh: :confused:

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
there should be a best player.

there should be best categories.

like bllon dor should be best player each position for each league.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)