Ballon d'Or (1 Viewer)

Strickland

May 17, 2019
Well football is more than just numbers and statistics. Isnt that why Nedved, Figo, Ronaldinho etc have all won?

FFZSqB0XoAU8mxj.jpg
Ok, this paints a better picture. Still, Messi was the centerpiece of a broken Barca that had their worst league season since 2007/08, kind of like Juventus and Ronaldo, who also was the top scorer in Serie A while we sucked badly last season.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Mar 9, 2021
From Redcafe

Messi in 2018 :

• ⁠Top scorer of the year + Golden Shoe
• ⁠league champion
• ⁠KO’d in UCL Quarters
• ⁠disappointing internationally Finished 5th in Ballon D'Or rankings.

Lewandowski in 2021 :

• ⁠Top scorer of the year + Golden Shoe
• ⁠league champion
• ⁠KO’d in UCL Quarters
• ⁠disappointing internationally Finished 2nd in Ballon D'Or rankings.

OP
Jethro

Jethro

Mar 6, 2018
  • Thread Starter #225
    "disappointing internationally" what the fuck was he supposed to do with Poland? He kept their KO hope at Euros until matchday 3, that's probably the most he could do.

Jun 6, 2015
    oh, so you're telling me that it's an objective award after all. dribbles, flair and all that jazz. thanks for the clarification.

dude, it's a simple popularity contest.
    Popularity definitely plays a big part but imo it's a narrative driven award just as much if not more. For example there is no way that Jorginho is the third most popular player on the planet but he was part of two winning squads and that gave him a credible story to challenge for this kind of award.

May 26, 2016
    I would have no objections to Lewandowski winning. But my post was to all complaining about Messi. He did great in a broken Barca like above poster mentioned.
    true. Also its not Messi's fault that the Ballon'dor committee is retarded.

Messi basically said that Lewa should have had an award for 2020 and that everyone know this.

They could have easily made this a decent ceremony but somehow managed to fuck it up

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
    Ballon D'or has no clear criteria. That's the issue. If stats are the deciding factor, then Modric shouldn't have won it in 2018. If it's not stats but team achievements, then Iniesta and Robben should have both won in 2010 and 2012.

If they were intelligent enough or just wanted to be fair, then they could have scrapped the journalists voting and came up with a simple point system that add stats, team achievements and more variables into the mix. But they're neither intelligent nor fair.

Akshen

Aug 27, 2010
    Well written by some journo. This award is supposed to be given to the player who is the best in the world in particular year.
    This year Messi had only one month when he was the best in the world - during the copa america and was he reaally so decisive there? 4 goals in group against Chile and 2 vs Boliwia, then great game against ecuador with 1g and 2a. Other than this, he wasnt even top 3 player in the world.
    Now compare this season:
    1638264992171.png

1638265013188.png

Guess who is the ballon d;or winner here.
    And thats all done when Lewa was even clearer winner last year, yet they decide to not award it. Total bullshit for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Ballon D'or has no clear criteria. That's the issue. If stats are the deciding factor, then Modric shouldn't have won it in 2018. If it's not stats but team achievements, then Iniesta and Robben should have both won in 2010 and 2012.

If they were intelligent enough or just wanted to be fair, then they could have scrapped the journalists voting and came up with a simple point system that add stats, team achievements and more variables into the mix. But they're neither intelligent nor fair.
    First of all, I think they should award it for a season and not year, would be much clearer to point the player of the specific season.

May 26, 2016
    Well written by some journo. This award is supposed to be given to the player who is the best in the world in particular year.
    This year Messi had only one month when he was the best in the world - during the copa america and was he reaally so decisive there?

Yes , he basically carried the team. I mean i get people dont like the gnome but in Copa he was really good.

Then again: how important is Copa? is it a shit tournament? Euros surely is stronger

1638265786092.png

- - - Updated - - -

"disappointing internationally" what the fuck was he supposed to do with Poland? He kept their KO hope at Euros until matchday 3, that's probably the most he could do.
    True, Poland is pretty bad

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
    Your fault for bothering with this farse.
    As some journo or coach, in my country, who can vote said, when presented with stats of why Lewa should win it, "But Messi is Messi, you can't give it to Lewa."
    This award is a joke.

Mokku

Apr 17, 2019
    I'm sorry, I don't recall any great performances by Messi. I would say Bonucci and Chiellini were both incredible during the Euros and far more influential than Messi. Bayern were knocked out by PSG because Lewandowski was missing otherwise he's been outstanding, following on from the COVID season where Bayern won the CL. He's been consistently brilliant for many seasons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)