Azzurri Thread (27 Viewers)

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Threads been dead for a while...

Here is what my ideal starting lineup for the Euros would be. LOL it is a complete dream because Conte is a stubborn retard and probably wont even select Berardi and Insigne, and we all know it'll be Pelle-Eder up front so...

Buffon
Darmian Bonnuci Barzagli Chiellini (or some other LB)
Marchisio Verratti
Berardi Insigne El Shaarawy
Zaza

Thoughts? That's pretty much the best players Italy can muster up at the moment, with a solid bench of Sirigu, Candreva, Pelle, Antonelli, Bonaventura etc

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
I think Conte wont go with only Marchisio and Verratti in midfield. Thats too light for him imo, even though both are pretty good defensively. hell change between 352 and 433 depending on situation probably

Buffon
Barzagli Bonucci Chiellini
Florenzi/Candreva Verratti Marchisio Motta Darmian
Eder Zaza

Buffon
Darmian Bonucci Chiellini De Sciglio(?) not sure what the options there are
Verratti Marchisio Motta
Candreva Pelle El Shaarawy/Insigne

Maybe change a few players due to injuries or form, and maybe i forgot a few, but it will be close to this i think

- - - Updated - - -

Also, i dont think he will call either of Berardi or Rugani. Sturaro and Romagnoli might be there but not sure about them either

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
He needs to make it. The midfield is among the strongest with him there.

Also, after seeing the lineups i wrote up there, Italy doesent look half as bad as people make it out to be

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
They have Zaza though. He is excellent as 2nd choice striker. So basically all Italy lacks at the moment is one starting caliber CF, which is basically Rossi if he never got injured... with him this team would look great. but Zaza and Eder even if not WC still are solid options. they also can play together which is a + for the 352. then there is Pelle, who is more suited for a 4-3-3 imo

also forgot to mention Vazquez above. he gives Conte the option to play 4-3-1-2 and im sure he will call him up.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
He needs to make it. The midfield is among the strongest with him there.

Also, after seeing the lineups i wrote up there, Italy doesent look half as bad as people make it out to be

Its an alright squad but they are seriously short in the creative side of the game. Pele/Zaza/Shaarawy/Eder/ Insigne are not very dependable.

France has a better team and so does Germany and Spain. This never used to be the case.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
From Del Piero, Totti, Vieri, Inzaghi, Toni and Gilardino 10 years ago to the likes of Pelle, Immobile, Eder, Zaza and Insigne...its a big drop in quality, but then again, a compact and defensively and tactically drilled squad can make it far in a tournament, and Italy have pretty good options in midfield and defence.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
From Del Piero, Totti, Vieri, Inzaghi, Toni and Gilardino 10 years ago to the likes of Pelle, Immobile, Eder, Zaza and Insigne...its a big drop in quality, but then again, a compact and defensively and tactically drilled squad can make it far in a tournament, and Italy have pretty good options in midfield and defence.
:agree: With Grinta and Discipline Italy should be very hard to beat. Marchisio, Verratti and Motta are all extremely solid defensively and can pass the ball around very well. They lack creativity and goal scoring potency though which is kinda required in a 3-5-2. The defense is obviously solid (apart from Florenzi maybe). If Italy go 3-5-2 I expect them to grind out results against big and small teams alike.

Shaarawy and Insigne are in very good form though and candreva is reliable. Zaza is also very good coming from the bench. So going with a 4-3-3 might not be bad but the front 3 will have to be at their best.

I fear from Italy against the minnows more than the big teams.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
:agree: With Grinta and Discipline Italy should be very hard to beat. Marchisio, Verratti and Motta are all extremely solid defensively and can pass the ball around very well. They lack creativity and goal scoring potency though which is kinda required in a 3-5-2. The defense is obviously solid (apart from Florenzi maybe). If Italy go 3-5-2 I expect them to grind out results against big and small teams alike.

Shaarawy and Insigne are in very good form though and candreva is reliable. Zaza is also very good coming from the bench. So going with a 4-3-3 might not be bad but the front 3 will have to be at their best.

I fear from Italy against the minnows more than the big teams.
:agree: a QF appearance should be seen as a "decent" campaign given the quality of the squad overall. But I can see them being able to frustrate and even beat the likes of Germany and France on their day. Should be interesting.

And yeah, even when Italy were amongst the best NTs in the world (80s til mid 00s) they would always struggle against minnows. I don't know if its arrogance or just not being able to mentally switch on and just destroy the Maltas, Luxembourgs and Estonias of the world, but its always been a problem with them.

Mar 9, 2006
Portieri: Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus), Mattia Perin (Genoa), Salvatore Sirigu (Paris Saint Germain);

Difensori: Francesco Acerbi (Sassuolo), Luca Antonelli (Milan), Davide Astori (Fiorentina), Andrea Barzagli (Juventus), Leonardo Bonucci (Juventus), Matteo Darmian (Manchester United), Lorenzo De Silvestri (Sampdoria), Andrea Ranocchia (Sampdoria);
Centrocampisti: Alessandro Florenzi (Roma), Emanuele Giaccherini (Bologna), Jorginho (Napoli), Riccardo Montolivo (Milan), Thiago Motta (Paris Saint Germain), Marco Parolo (Lazio), Roberto Soriano (Sampdoria), Marco Verratti (Paris Saint Germain);

Attaccanti: Federico Bernardeschi (Fiorentina), Giacomo Bonaventura (Milan), Antonio Candreva (Lazio), Eder (Inter), Stephan El Shaarawy (Roma), Ciro Immobile (Torino), Lorenzo Insigne (Napoli), Graziano Pellé (Southampton), Simone Zaza (Juventus).

Good old hard-nosed sheep Conte - benchwarmers Sirigu and Zaza, De Silvestri that only played 8 games this season, mister disaster Ranocchia, his prodigal son Giaccherini, injured Verratti and Candreva, Eder, Pelle are all out of form,

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Juventino[RUS];5222715 said:
Buffon
Barzagli - Bonucci - Chiellini
Darmian - Jorginho - Marchisio - Verratti - Bonaventura
Immobile - El Shawarma
:inter:

Buffon
Darmian - Verratti - Marchisio - Motta - Bernardeschi
Zaza - Insigne

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
:inter:

Buffon
Darmian - Verratti - Marchisio - Motta - Bernardeschi
Zaza - Insigne
Why 3-5-2? There is no more Pirlo to build the team around and conte switched to 4-3-3 mid-game often with us and used to use it as starting formation in his first season for a while. Insigne is in very good form and would be a waste if he is not where napoli plays him. El shaarawy is finding form too and I doubt would do well as a CF either. Candreva (probably the most reliable attacking player in the Azzuri) would also have to be a wingback.

4-3-3 makes most sense to me.

Florenzi/D'ambrosio - Bonucci/astori - Chiellini/barzagli - Darmian/criscito

Marchisio/Jorginho - Verratti/ Pirlo/Montolivo - De Rossi/Motta/giach

Candreva/berardi - Zaza/Pelle/Eder - Insigne/Bernandeschi/Bonaventura

If its not a winger based formation, the players in best form (attacking wise) would be out of position. None of these guys is a dybala and none of the midfielders is pogba for the 3-5-2 to work without pirlo being his old self.

da_ledgeaun

The Juve Freak
Jun 2, 2007
Why not try his 4-2-4 again?

We have Candreva and Bernadeschi who both are playing in good form, and put Zaza and Insigne as strikers.
Use Parolo and Thiago Motta, as Verratti is injured. we cant play 3 at the back either, Chiello is injured, that would mean Ranocchia/Acerbi/Astori will start, so better stick to 4 at the back.

Darmian and De Silvestri or Florenzi take the full backs.

The selection made by Conte really sucks.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Italy are actually still great in defense and midfield if you look at the players they have. Marchisio-Verratti is world class any way you look at it tbh. But their strikers are so so poor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 26)