Azzurri mastermind Valcareggi dies (2 Viewers)

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
Azzurri mastermind Valcareggi dies
Wednesday, 2 November 2005

Ferruccio Valcareggi, the coach who led Italy to success at the 1968 UEFA European Championship, died today at the age of 86.

Respected coach
After a successful playing career with his hometown club US Triestina Calcio and ACF Fiorentina, Valcareggi coached the Azzurri between 1966 and 1974, leading them to European glory in 1968 as well as the runners-up slot at the 1970 FIFA World Cup in Mexico.

Replay success
Appointed as Italy coach immediately after the Azzurri's early elimination by North Korea in the 1966 FIFA World Cup, Valcareggi led the Italian team to their first European crown two years later, beating Yugoslavia 2-0 in a replay, after the first final between the two sides ended 1-1.

Memorable victory
Two years later, Italy lost 4-1 to Brazil in the World Cup final after one of the most memorable games in footballing history, their 4-3 win against West Germany in the semi-finals. Under Valcareggi's guidance, the Azzurri lost just six games in eight years.

High praise
"I shared with Valcareggi my best memories in the Azzurri shirt," said former Italy left-back Giacinto Facchetti. "I was the team captain and we had a great relationship. It's a pity that we did not manage to win the World Cup in 1970 but our semi-final against Germany will always be one of the best moments in the history of Italian football."

'Most loved'
Gianni Rivera added: "Italy achieved great results under Valcareggi. He was mostly a champion as a human being. Everyone in the team had a fantastic relationship with him. That's why that national team was probably the most loved ever by Italian fans.”

----------------------------------------------------------
uefa.com

RIP.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)