Asian Football (6 Viewers)

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
John,

Karimi certainly deserves a chance. He is a wonderful talent, and if Baiocco can make Serie A and Juve then hell Karimi can do it with eyes closed.

Gray,

Sorry to disappoint you but Seol is one hell of lazy player, and I can see English fans screaming for his head. He has a big frame, but he plays like a girl IMO.:p:D.
Pity that best South Korean Cho Jae Jin is playing for Shimizu.;). I guess English are too ignorant to know him.

Another Asian who can make an impact in Europe IMO is Talal. A wonderful technician and decent dribbler - Would do well in France IMO.

OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #63
    I've seen videos of a lot of his goals, and I don't think he's that lazy. A lot of the time he receives the ball between halfway and the edge of the box. During the world cup too, when he operated a lot down the flank (too wide for his own good IMO) he did a lot of running, and could even be seen in his own half of the field (think Korea-Italy, when he did that stupid backheel straight to Tomassi :wallbang:)

Anyway, that's probably a bias opinion but...lazy or not, he should score goals for fun against teams like rotherham and gillingham. I also think he's pretty good at holding up the ball due, as you said, to his large frame

Plus we shouldn't be complaining about lazy, we have Trez :D

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    Haha,

I guess you are spot on with Trezeguet comparison.
    Two players with big frame, and yet chicken out in physical battle.:eek::wallbang:. I havent seen much of him so I am more biased than you, but my lasting memory him will be dribbling into a human wall called Puyol. Oh well, even C. Ronaldo does it at times .... A. Cole.;).

Freddy,

I am sure you havent seen much of Japan - I guess you missed how "might" England were given a lesson on crisp passing, organization, and movement by truly master class performance by Japan in their backyard. Oh wait, that English team made it into the last 8 of Euro Finals and lost to eventual finalist Portugal on penalties.
    Ah, I guess you havent seen much Olympics where only one European team made it past the quarter-final stage, and they managed to cojure up 3 wins altogether.:dazed:. And how great C. Ronaldo looked ordinary by a group of no-bodies who surely doesnt belong in the same pitch with him.
    Look, just like American basketball, other countries around the world is catching up some European teams. Even more frightening thing is this is just second generation of stars (Miura, Nakayama, Hong, Ali Daei are the first), the first generation that really got the taste of international football, thanks to greater coverage and widening opportunities. In 5-6 years time, I can almost gurantee that some really big time player will emerge from Asia and don't be surprised by it.

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #65
    Looking forward to it :extatic: even though it could so easily be someone like Karimi, even though he's not exactly the next generation.

btw I have watched some Olympic football, but after seeing the standard of it I only decided to watch the 'big' or 'important' games (and I use those terms very loosley)

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    Gray,

I personally have a different opinion on Olympics.
    I thought standard improved vastly compared to Sydney, and many of the players we saw in the tournament can be a real star in the future.
    Hirayama for Japan, for one, is touted to become the next big "thing" even if I have my doubt about him. As for Argentinians, I hope won day we can call them one of the greatest generation ever lived. The standard is just incredible with the likes of Tevez, D'ale, Gonzalez, Delgado, Collicini, Heinze, et al to go with established stars such as Zanetti, Ayala, and co.

Anyway, I dont think any of the current Asian players circulating is capable of emulating Zidane, Figo, Del Piero, Raul, Batistuta et al. The infrastructure of spotting talent and developing them isnt simply in place. And surely we can introduce organized Amateur leagues such as Sunday Teams they have it in England and Europe. And as for South Americans, we simply isnt as passionate as much them, and certainly has too much to do, and too many career choices to become good through the streets. Only way is to create an system where young talented ones are spotted early, and nurtured by professionals and clubs just like the Europeans. I guess Japan does this best, and that is the main reason why we were able bring up second generation stars such as Nakamura, Ono, and Nakata (1.5 would be more correct).

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #67
    Maybe I shouldn't have used such a blunt instrument to describe the standard of Olympic football. I watched some matches, including Australia's, and to tell you the truth I was falling asleep (maybe it's because I had to wake up at 3:30 to watch them, but I would never do such a thing if it was a CL match for example. I'm not expecting these youngsters to be as good as Europe's elite, but the general standard of the game amongst most of the countries didn't make for a lot of entertainment.

Argentina was a pleasure to watch, and I agree that there are some players amongst the crop (sorry I didn't see any of Japan's matches) who can go on to become big players, but quite frankly it's just not good enough to make Olympic football in general appeal to me

EDIT: I've got nothing to add to the last bit of your post ;)

Ramin

vBookie Champion
    Nov 18, 2003

Iran played Roma today in Olimpico and it finished 5-3 for Roma. didnt see the match but i heard Karimi dribled 4/5 defenders :cool:

scorers:

for Roma: 3 Totti, Cassano, Mexes

for Iran: Daei, Majidi, Nekunam

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #69
    Woohoo

Vietnam 1 - 2 Korea Republic

even though we should really be doing better against teams like Vietnman (no offence to them or anything, but Qatar beat Laos 6-1 for gosh sakes!)

Darin

Sep 8, 2002
    we beat singapore 2-0 i was really expectin more as we beat them 7-0 in the 1st leg (no offence 2 singapore)

congrats 2 the iranians they beat jordan 2-0 (i actually wanted jordan 2 win :D )

in the other hand saudi arabia r the 1st team 2 advance 2 the final round.

china man

Sep 6, 2004
    talking about asian football china has just beat malaysia 1-0,wow what surprised me is that malaysia just lost by 1-0????that was a good performance by malaysia!!!!!china quality should have kill the game!!!!!well anyway i just hope malaysia won lost badly in the coming games for the world cup qualification

:D:D:D

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by archaon ] ++
    asian football is crap

let me help you rephrase that:

"The quality of Asian Footbal in general is far bellow the European and South American standards, therefore I refuse to participate constructively in an Asian football discusion, because I'd rather make a rude comment and make people think less of me in these forums"

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #80
    Korea take the lead,
    Lebanon 0-1 Korea Republic

:extatic:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)