Are Juve Throwing Away Their Youth? (1 Viewer)

juvefan

Jul 13, 2002
I read this article from Goal.com and find it could be an interesting discussion here.

I will quote what James Gisone said in here:

Calcio Debate: Are Juve Throwing Away Their Youth?

Following their post-Calciopoli promotion from Serie B in the summer of 2007, the Juventus board stressed that they would not be building the team the same way that the previous regime used to.

Under the old system of Luciano Moggi, known as the ‘Triade’, Juventus were one of the big players in Europe when it came to the transfer market. The club was known for using rather smart and sneaky tactics to swing deals with lesser clubs in order to secure player signatures. Furthermore, they were also known for spending significant sums of money on world-class talent, and for not integrating players from within the Bianconeri youth system.

But then there was Calciopoli, which resulted in Juve being relegated to Serie B and forcing the club into financial trouble, meaning that many top class players had to be sold. The likes of Cannavaro, Vieira, Ibrahimovic, Thuram, Zambrotta, and Emerson all were offloaded and replaced by youth.

In a way, we could call the relegation a blessing in disguise. It forced the club to re-think their position when spending money, and provided an opportunity for many young Italians in their system to blossom at Italy’s biggest club. And there are many, or should I say there were many.

Slowly but surely right in front of our eyes we are seeing the youth being shipped out in deals, while has-been players are being chased to take up their spots in the squad.

This should be a very worrying sign for fans of the Bianconeri because, as was discussed in a previous Calcio Debate by my colleague Carlo Garganese, Italy are entering into a Golden Era and many of these youths belong to Juventus.

Recently we’ve seen the likes of Antonio Nocerino and Davide Lanzafame move to Palermo - the former on a full ownership and the latter on a co-ownership - in the deal that sent Amauri to Turin. I am a big fan of the Brazilian-born striker, but a striker should have been at the bottom of the priority list, considering the Juve strike force is one of the most potent in Europe.

This brings me on to Raffaele Palladino and the imminent deal sending him to Genoa on a co-ownership. It is absolutely ludicrous that a young, up and coming, versatile player is not being given a chance to shine with the Old Lady.

Throughout last season he was played out of position, and through no fault of his own he was not given enough opportunities to prove his worth. We all witnessed his brilliant display for Italy during the friendly against Portugal in February, which was surely a sign of his talent and potential. Why is it that when he returned to Juve he looked like a shadow of this player? My assessment is that it comes down to confidence and the fact that the coaching staff didn’t place their trust in him.

The most worrying sign is that at one point during the negotiations with Palermo for Amauri, Sebastian Giovinco was even reportedly considered as a pawn in the deal. Officially these reports were unconfirmed but the rumours were strong and if it wasn’t for a Juve fan revolt, then Giovinco may have ended up wearing a Pink jersey this season.

This is particularly shocking as there has been much talk of adding an attacking midfielder this summer such as Dejan Stankovic, who is clearly past his sell-by-date. Once again if not for a Juventus fan revolt; Stankovic, who has repeatedly insulted the club in the past, would be wearing the famous black and white jersey.

Oh, and lets not forget that transfer guru (now that’s a bit of a stretch) Alessio Secco almost succeeded in selling Giorgio Chiellini to Manchester City last year. This youngster was outstanding during Euro 2008 and is proving to be the building block of the future for the Azzurri defence. Now imagine what the Juve defence would’ve looked like without him last season. Pretty scary thought considering Jorge Andrade was lost early on in the campaign.

All in all the future is definitely not bleak considering that Claudio Marchisio, Paulo De Ceglie, and Sebastian Giovinco are back after spending a season on loan elsewhere. But the Juventus board really needs to set things straight as to the direction the club is going to go in. Are the Bianconeri going to build with youth or are they going to continue shipping them out and bringing in has-beens, like Stankovic.

Juventus can no longer dictate the transfer market like they used to, as Serie A has fallen behind the EPL and La Liga in terms of purchasing power. But what they can control (and are very good at) is developing young talent, young talent that must not be thrown away.

What are your views on this topic? Are Juve throwing away their young talent? Goal.com wants to know what YOU think…

James Gisone
from http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=758901

So, what do you guy think?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Boksic

May 11, 2005
We are bringing back Giovinco, De Ceglie and Marchisio, three good oung players and giving them the chance to sign.

Lanzafame has had one good season in Serie B and is not ready to be at Juve, it is better for him to get games and come back if he proves himself.

Nocerino came back and for the majority of the season was poor, he had his chance and failed to take it.

Palladino IMO could still become a starter at Juve, next season is crucial for him, he has to take his chance at regular Serie A football and show the form he has shown for Italy every week. He needs regular games, it is clear that he is not going to get that at Juve and is shifted around different positions which is not helping his consistency. If he performs, i'm sure we will try and get him back.

We have kept hold of Criscito and Chiellini has become the focal point of our defence.

So no I don't think that we are throwing away our youth, i think for the first time in the 14 years i have supported Juve, we are finally starting to use it.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
Juve in the recent past have a history of discarding young players, who have gone on with their careers with varying degrees of success...I was disappointed to see Nocerino leave, but we are still hanging on to Lanza and Palla so lets hope they do develop into quality players...the talent is there for every1 to see, a little patience is probably required

cyril

Let's roll
Jul 6, 2006
The only player that I believe hasnt got a decent chance is palladino and criscito which wasnt mentioned in this article.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Palla was thrown at the LM position, to fill Neddy's shoes, while Molinaro "supports" him...
Sorry but If Palla is useless on smth, is defending and helping useless LBs, by doing the defensive work for them...
CR was supposed to be a coach that helps youngsters to find their way to the top, but he clearly halted Palla's carrier and chances there...
But still, he is co-owned, that means we know what he can do better!

Nocerino was used as an AMF, RM esp, when that was painfully clear that he will never qualify for that position and right when he started to gain his confidence, our coach ruined it insisting for his replacement, as this was the only problem, our team faced atm...

Criscito was thrown to the lions (Totti) right away...

Paro wasted his chance with us and became Blasi's heir...

Olivera wasted his chances many times over...

De Ceglie and Marchisio were brilliant with us and now we call them back, in serie A this time, but i think its the right timing for them!
Marchisio will face less pressure, since we have more players for the place and we wont force him, but he will face an impossible competition to a starter place.
Whilst De Ceglie will face no competition, since he already proved us, he is waaaay much better than Molinaro, in every possible way, but he expectations from him are different, we brought to other player for this position!

Giovinco was given the chance to become the epicenter of a team and he is now ready for the greatest chalence of his life!

And Lanza can still remotely convince us, with his performances, to get him back...

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
For the most part, the players who are good enough will stay, the players who aren't won't.

Just how it should be.

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
What a lousy article.

Palladino is a 24 year old sulk who does not add much to our squad. Nocerino is a very poor man's Sissoko, and Lanzafame will get a chance to play for Juve if he does well this season, wherever he's loaned out. Criscito has a long way to go until he can be a starter for Juventus.

Our three best youngsters - Marchisio, De Ceglie and Giovinco - will be playing for us this season.

cyril

Let's roll
Jul 6, 2006
What a lousy article.

Palladino is a 24 year old sulk who does not add much to our squad. Nocerino is a very poor man's Sissoko, and Lanzafame will get a chance to play for Juve if he does well this season, wherever he's loaned out. Criscito has a long way to go until he can be a starter for Juventus.

Our three best youngsters - Marchisio, De Ceglie and Giovinco - will be playing for us this season.
Thats an overstatement, he hasnt played enough games and when he played he was out of position.

mondo1

May 14, 2006
We are bringing back Giovinco, De Ceglie and Marchisio, three good oung players and giving them the chance to sign.

Lanzafame has had one good season in Serie B and is not ready to be at Juve, it is better for him to get games and come back if he proves himself.

Nocerino came back and for the majority of the season was poor, he had his chance and failed to take it.

Palladino IMO could still become a starter at Juve, next season is crucial for him, he has to take his chance at regular Serie A football and show the form he has shown for Italy every week. He needs regular games, it is clear that he is not going to get that at Juve and is shifted around different positions which is not helping his consistency. If he performs, i'm sure we will try and get him back.

We have kept hold of Criscito and Chiellini has become the focal point of our defence.

So no I don't think that we are throwing away our youth, i think for the first time in the 14 years i have supported Juve, we are finally starting to use it.
ya i totally agree...gio marchisio and de ceglie are coming back.. while lanzafame and palla can still be at juve for the next season (still i doubt that both are good enough) noce was just shitty here maybe he will regain some form but i doubt that... as for criscito he is still ours or not?

so i don't think that we throw away our youngster but u need more than just talent to play for juve

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
What a laughable article. Lets hope he is just cateering to the knee-jerk reaction of Juventini to get attention, and really isnt as ignorant as he is in that article.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I refuse to read long winded Goal.com articles. I can do what they do and do it better, tricking people into thinking something is true. Destroying their credibility should be everyone's job. Looking at reactions in this thread, time could be better much spent trying to see if you can burp your own national anthems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)