Are internationals becoming worthless? (1 Viewer)

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
I used to like internationals, I used to like watching them now it could be that I just couldnt watch Italia play, but when the last international break came it was awful, I just couldnt wait for it to end, am I the only one?

I really believe that there could be a time in the near future where they become completely meaningless, but then again people will always love playing for there country so maybe not, but it could happen! What do you think?

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I don't know. The clubs are where the cash is, but there's something still to be said about the internationals still even in this day and age of the sport. Where France and Germany can have crap domestic leagues and yet dominate the world. Where the U.S. can come out of nowhere as worthy competition. Where rivalries among teams like Germany-Netherlands, England-Argentina, etc., can be a safer surrogate for outright war.

Watching Euro 2004 last year, there was that period during the group phase where things were happening every day and I felt like I was in the middle of some top tier soccer orgy -- it was brilliant. The Champions League has its exhilarating moments (and very depressing exits :down: ), but I don't think it will be able to compare to the internationals.

So I still think there's some life there -- no matter how many times Galliani and the Brazilian NT get into tussles.

OP

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
    I don't know. The clubs are where the cash is, but there's something still to be said about the internationals still even in this day and age of the sport. Where France and Germany can have crap domestic leagues and yet dominate the world. Where the U.S. can come out of nowhere as worthy competition. Where rivalries among teams like Germany-Netherlands, England-Argentina, etc., can be a safer surrogate for outright war.

Watching Euro 2004 last year, there was that period during the group phase where things were happening every day and I felt like I was in the middle of some top tier soccer orgy -- it was brilliant. The Champions League has its exhilarating moments (and very depressing exits :down: ), but I don't think it will be able to compare to the internationals.

So I still think there's some life there -- no matter how many times Galliani and the Brazilian NT get into tussles.
    I know, during the group stages it was okay, because it was like everyday, but I hate the waiting part on International weeks!

Thats what I love about the Champions League, the emotions involved are so strong! I dont like it when we get knocked out :down:, but winning it...Is something I cant explain!

Ramin

vBookie Champion
    Nov 18, 2003

Interesting thread, nicole :cheesy:

I think the top International games (WC & Euro) will never be boring. Some might lose interest after their counties or the ones that they support, gets knocked out. Thus, the excitment will move to smaller team's fans who rarely show up in WC such as Sengal beating France. Or even Greece for the matter.

Although friendlies are total waste of time, where every coach tries to experiment new idea etc. Even the WC and Euro Cup qualifications dont live up to the excitments of the CL imo.

OP

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #6
    ++ [ originally posted by Ramin ] ++

Interesting thread, nicole :cheesy:

I think the top International games (WC & Euro) will never be boring. Some might lose interest after their counties or the ones that they support, gets knocked out. Thus, the excitment will move to smaller team's fans who rarely show up in WC such as Sengal beating France. Or even Greece for the matter.

Although friendlies are total waste of time, where every coach tries to experiment new idea etc. Even the WC and Euro Cup qualifications dont live up to the excitments of the CL imo.
    Every coach? You havent met Sven Borin' Eriksson! He plays his "first-team" in friendlies! I mean what is the point of that?

Jan 7, 2004
    internationals will never become worthless, because at that day when the national team plays, everybody in the country suddenly becomes a friend, and they all cheer and scream and sing at the top of their lungs.

jaecole

Apr 7, 2005
    Less worthless friendlys and more small atleast semi competitive tournaments.

Let's start with a British tournament or better make it like the rugby, a 6 nations. Only we need 7 nations so NI can come along.

England
    Rep. Of Ireland
    N. Ireland
    Italy
    France
    Wales
    Scotland

How cool would that be? Instead of some stupid worthless friendly games. I mean i'm sure these players can handle this once every few years, we pay them enough make them fvcking entertain us.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    It's an odd line-up though :undecide:

With regards to football, I mean, which isn't rugby. But I understand your point and yes, it would definitely be more interesting than friendlies!

OP

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #10
    ++ [ originally posted by jaecole ] ++
    Less worthless friendlys and more small atleast semi competitive tournaments.

Let's start with a British tournament or better make it like the rugby, a 6 nations. Only we need 7 nations so NI can come along.

England
    Rep. Of Ireland
    N. Ireland
    Italy
    France
    Wales
    Scotland

How cool would that be? Instead of some stupid worthless friendly games. I mean i'm sure these players can handle this once every few years, we pay them enough make them fvcking entertain us.
    It would be good, I mean I'd love to be able to have my team beat England every so often!

jaecole

Apr 7, 2005
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    It's an odd line-up though :undecide:

With regards to football, I mean, which isn't rugby. But I understand your point and yes, it would definitely be more interesting than friendlies!
    What's so odd about it? The rivalry between every single one of these nations is immense (except Italy), it's a perfect line up on every account (bar Italy).

Of course that won't happen anytime soon. Maybe, if we're lucky we will get a british tournament.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    I think internationals are exciting. Qualifyiers especially. As for the WC and EURO- I find EURO much more interesting and a lot more competitive.

But still, nothing compares to club competitions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)