Andrea "Il Bruco Brutto" Agnelli (19 Viewers)

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
I don't understand the proposal, has it been shared publicly yet?

I am curious whether the clubs are proposing it as an additional competition to play in vs as a replacement of their participation in local leagues of the CL. Both would accelerate the concentration of wealth in the big clubs and would absolutely eat a lot of the market share of the leagues. However if its in place of participation in the national/local leagues then this is an unmitigated disaster for the UEFA competitions' market share.

Either way UEFA and FIFA have no choice but to oppose it. They currently hold a monopoly on everything Football they cannot let their biggest assets do something private on their own because they know fans will 100% tune in. This league will be a footballing spectacle I would certainly watch it!

It would be different if it's a new additional competition organized by Uefa. I wouldn't be surprised if the clubs and Uefa both double down initially for a year or so causing financial damage to both sides before then returning to the negotiating table and compromising on some form of UEFA organized super League. I doubt that the status quo will be maintained without change.

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
I just don’t get what the aim here is. First of all is it our intent to leave the Italian league? Clearly we will not be allowed to compete in both.

Secondly - why would we want to go from winning trophy’s consistently in Italy to a European league that we would. At best. Win once every half century?

Is that developing the brand of Juve? Italy’s infrastructure for football is so dinosaur we wouldn’t be able to compete with the other big teams and we’d turn into a mid table club.

Fucking stupid idea purely for financial reasons. In 10 years time if this works Real vs Juve would become the European equivalent of Real vs Getafe

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
Halftime show: Saweetie and Doja Cat.
And a 50-60K strong crowd shouting 'deefense' when the opposition has the ball

- - - Updated - - -

I just don’t get what the aim here is. First of all is it our intent to leave the Italian league? Clearly we will not be allowed to compete in both.

Secondly - why would we want to go from winning trophy’s consistently in Italy to a European league that we would. At best. Win once every half century?

Is that developing the brand of Juve? Italy’s infrastructure for football is so dinosaur we wouldn’t be able to compete with the other big teams and we’d turn into a mid table club.

Fucking stupid idea purely for financial reasons. In 10 years time if this works Real vs Juve would become the European equivalent of Real vs Getafe
New York Knicks are one the most valuable brands in sport without winning jackshit. Maybe Agnelli aims to replicate that :agnelli: @AFL_ITALIA

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018

Remember how we are used to make all of this plusvalenza shit? I guess that would disappear.
Also the FIGC would never ban the heavyweights because their competition would lose any meaning.
As a participant you get 350 million that's almost double the TV revenue you get from Seria A and CL(for reaching the latter stages) combined.

Boksic

May 11, 2005

It is clearly financially driven. Agnelli has said for years about the disparity in TV revenue between the English clubs and in Italy. This is an opportunity to level that up as all the top clubs would be in the same league and split the same deal.

I'm assuming it would be the only league we'd play in.

From Agnelli's point of view I can see the logic. If we had the increased financial power from a TV deal then surely our budget would increase and we could afford better players. I don't see why that would necessarily mean we'd be a mid table side. However, it would level the playing field across the teams in the league a bit. I suppose it would be more like the NFL and other revenue streams would play a part. Our match day income would put us at a disadvantage in comparison to say a Bayern or Barcelona but I suppose we already are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)