Andrea "Il Bruco Brutto" Agnelli (74 Viewers)

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
I hate the idea and hope it never realizes. Games against Barca, Bayern, United week in week out at first would seem amazing but pretty soon it would lose its novelty. It makes them spectacular encounters because they dont happen very often. I fear we would become saturated and a lot of fans after a while would lose interest. There is something appealing in unknown, working your ways across various grounds of minnor clubs until eventually facing off heavy weights, which ultimately feels rewarding.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
There is already too much money in proffessional sports and clubs losing identity. Next step would be to play Superleague games abroad in bigger markets, like Asia or USA. Local fans would shift their attention to local clubs.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Yeah Im not fan of international football either and much less of UEFA or FIFA but CL has been extremely entertaining competition with viewing figures rising each season, generating more and more money. But you cant feed hungry beast because finances of most clubs are going rampant, between player salaries and transfers. No matter how much money you pump into them, it will never be enough, which is the main point of dissatisfaction among bigger clubs where they feel entitled to bigger share.

Last edited:

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
NBA-like model for super league is far superior and nonopauque then something like UEFA covering for clubs like PSG and ManCity, but crushing some unknown pub league clubs with FFP ruling. Super League is more top-level football, e.g. more money, clearer rules, no 3rd party governing entity, but clubs managing themselves. I see no downside here.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
No doubt UEFA's governing body should be investigated and their practices under more scrutiny. But Id be opposed to abolishing competition that generates incredible amount of interest already across the globe, establishing itself as the most popular football club competition in the world. Further tweak the current model if necessary.

Obvious downside would be lack of winning. We are use to winning Serie, being among the top clubs in Europe every season. But among the elite clubs someone would have to finish last in the standings, midtable, etc.. How much fun would it be then I wonder?

Then there is identity loss, alienating local fans, saturation due to frequency of high profile games, which after a while would generate less interest, etc...

Last edited:

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Matter of opinion I guess. We cant know for certain ofc. But I like Serie A and watching Juve smashing league every season and Italian derbies against Napoli, Lazio, Roma, Torino, Fiorentina... then as a treat big CL game inbetween. For me and many other fans it wouldnt have the same appeal.

Powis

Dec 9, 2009
I am not a fan of this idea at all. Too much Americanism. This would mean taking away excatly everything what I love about European football. I am okay with changes of this current format, but Super league would destroy values that people admire, charm and romanticism.

pavelnel

Oct 24, 2006
Super League is a joke. Football is not NBA and never will be. Part of the magic of football is the smaller clubs beating the bigger ones. Also the small clubs produce most of the football talent.
In such Super League Juve will not win so frequently if ever at all. This is true for the most other clubs that will participate. Let us see how they will enjoy for several years finishing mid-table or dead last and receiving peanuts in comparison to Barca and Real.
National competitions are enjoyable and there is much history behind the rivalries. I would not enjoy Juve as much playing every weak against Barca, Real, Bayern etc. Such games are for special occasions and the Super League will commoditize them. No doubt about that.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course it’s a money hunger venture, but it’s an obvious next step for big European clubs.
It is a stupid idea and short term thinking as this will never work long term.

pavelnel

Oct 24, 2006
yep, football is about magic, not money
You do not understand that the charm of such league will fade away rather very fast and the money will decrease. Also these big clubs are big because they win trophies on regular basis and attract fans. In such a limited format the winners will be very few so the losers will lose fans and revenue.
The CL in 90s was very competitive even with less clubs but they were the most deserving clubs. And the teams that participated changed year after year. The participation in that CL was a reward.But the current format is more profitable with more teams participating. We have teams like Atletico and Borussia becoming competitive on the highest level. The current system while not perfect promotes new talent and new teams. In Europe should play the best teams based on their current form and not some historic mastodons.
Based on what Milan and Man U should play in Super League and have guaranteed places there? Why not Napoli - much more attractive team than both of them?

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
Id rather see Juve play City, Bayern, Barca, Real, PSG, than see Juve play vs Young Boys, Chievo, Cagliari etc. In Super League we would know for sure which team is the best. In Champions League one mistake, from referee, a yellow card, an Injury and your out. I have always wanted champions league to be a league rather a cup like it is nowadays.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Superleague is dumb but I do agree we need more Champions League. dissolve all International Football and in place expand the Champions League to more games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 68)