American NFL Football (30 Viewers)

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
I have been in love with her for a while. And she looks so fucking good today. It is really the only reason why I watch Colin Cowherd.

2 Moves I'd like to see SF make, and then be done with Free agency.

Clinton DIx and Pierre Desir. Massive upgrade to their secondary while both guys are still young (26 and 28). Desir is the type of press corner that they would look for.

Draft Bosa at #2 if available, and this would be the new 49ers defense next year

Bosa-Thomas-Buckner-Armstead

Warner-Alexander-Ford

Desir-Reed Jr/Colbert-Clinton Dix-Sherman

Young, fast, and a potentially ferocious pass rush.

- - - Updated - - -

BB proved that defense still wins championships, so why not load up on that side of the ball. Shanahan got the 49ers to a 16th ranked total offense last year with Nick Mullens starting the majority of their games.
Don't you guys play 4-3 and not 3-4? I thought you were following the Carrol/Seattle scheme?

Clinto Dix is weak mentally, not a leader and is soft physically, as well.

You do not build a winning team thru free agency because all you end up doing is over-paying for average talent, that is pushed into an unfamiliar scheme and don't have chemistry playing together. Elite players rarely if ever become available in free agency while still in their prime. It's not by chance Sherman, Thomas, Houston etc hit free agency only when they entered their 30s and started missing time due to injuries ...

It's still possible to win chips with Defense but look at the last times that happened - Pats, Broncos, Seahawks, Giants, Ravens ... All those defenses were built thru the draft with the players coming thru the same system and having chemistry playing together. Whatever FA additions there were on those teams, it was to complement an already existing defensive roster and scheme, not build it from scratch.

It will be a huge waste and mistake if you guys fall for the "building thru FA" illusion - only thing you will end up achieving is overpay for average to good but never elite talent the equivalent of which you can easily find in the 2-4 round range of the draft.

You have a hard-on for a safety - this year I can think of at least 2 players (T. Rapp and A. Hooker) who could be had in 2-3 rounds and will better serve you than overpaying Clinton-Dix

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
If they draft Bosa, they will have 6 guys that they have drafted be in the starting defense. If Weatherspoon wins the other CB job this season, with a presumed much improved pass rush, that makes 7 homegrown guys. That's a really good percentage no matter what team you are. And the free agents that they have signed/traded for so far this year are 24 and 28, respectively. The only guy over 30 is Sherman, and he started playing like the Richard Sherman that we know later on in the season.

I can understand what you are getting at, but I would never want the whole defense, or even the small majority of the defense to be obtained through free agency.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
49ers hosting Jason Verrett. If he can finally show that he is healthy again, it could be a good low risk/high reward move. Because when he is healthy, he is a really, really good cover corner.

- - - Updated - - -

Tevin Coleman? Oh hell fucking yes!!

- - - Updated - - -

Coleman, McKinnon, Breida. What a stable of RB's.

Last edited:

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Coleman is good. Can catch as well.

JV is visiting Houston. I guess we’re still in for CBs. Wonder if we are thinking about moving Colvin. I was hoping we would grab someone in the 2nd round, but this might be the place to invest.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Coleman is good. Can catch as well.

JV is visiting Houston. I guess we’re still in for CBs. Wonder if we are thinking about moving Colvin. I was hoping we would grab someone in the 2nd round, but this might be the place to invest.

I was just looking at the contract details. This might be the best dollar for dollar signing in the entire market so far. No signing bonus, and a team option for the 2nd year at 5 million.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
All this talk about wanting a safety so badly in Free Agency got me thinking about the guy who I thought would have, when all was said and done, gone down as the best safety in the history of the NFL.

If only..................................................................................

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
If you guys are giving that #2 pick to the Pats - Yes, please :p

P.S. If we are strictly speaking drafting best player available, assuming the Cards take a QB and Bosa is still there at 2, QW would still be the BPA, imo.
There's talk now about the Giants really liking Haskins to the point where they would be willing to trade 6 and 17 for the 2nd pick.

If that happens, then there is still a chance at Allen or Sweat at 6, if the top 5 shakes out like this : Murray,Haskins, Bosa, Williams, Allen/Sweat

#17 can go anywhere from a corner to a Safety, I guess. WR in the 2nd, CB in the 3rd, and then just go from there.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
There's talk now about the Giants really liking Haskins to the point where they would be willing to trade 6 and 17 for the 2nd pick.

If that happens, then there is still a chance at Allen or Sweat at 6, if the top 5 shakes out like this : Murray,Haskins, Bosa, Williams, Allen/Sweat

#17 can go anywhere from a corner to a Safety, I guess. WR in the 2nd, CB in the 3rd, and then just go from there.
Well, that would be a very Giants-y thing to do these days ...

Sounds about right. Either way 9ers will get a shot at an elite prospect with the 6th pick, in that scenario. You guys might even be able to trade up back in the 1st (with the 2nd rounder) and get an extra year on Jeffrey Simmons, if you are not bothered by the off-field stuff. Simmons is not far off Williams as far as DL prospects go.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Well, that would be a very Giants-y thing to do these days ...

Sounds about right. Either way 9ers will get a shot at an elite prospect with the 6th pick, in that scenario. You guys might even be able to trade up back in the 1st (with the 2nd rounder) and get an extra year on Jeffrey Simmons, if you are not bothered by the off-field stuff. Simmons is not far off Williams as far as DL prospects go.

On the one hand, I'd like to see them get more draft capital. On the other hand though, their draft history the past couple of years have been spotty. So, maybe less is more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 28)