American College Football (14 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
They expand their market and gain a potential National Championship contender. TCU gets more TV money and the chance to actually compete in a BCS system.

From a football standpoint it's a little, but in other sports it makes sense when you consider the Big East has schools like Notre Dame and Depaul.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
How many teams are in the Big Ten? The Pac 10 is getting Utah and Colorado, two landlocked states.

These things don't really matter in college football today. The Big East needed a boost in order to maintain its BCS status. They got it.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
How many teams are in the Big Ten? The Pac 10 is getting Utah and Colorado, two landlocked states.

These things don't really matter in college football today. The Big East needed a boost in order to maintain its BCS status. They got it.
But that's a far cry from WV, PA, NY, CT... to fucking TEXAS.

To me, it doesn't make any sense. TCU could be just a general run of the mill program in another 5 years, while the Big East will have to endure massive travel changes to accompany their new recruit. Next thing you know they'll bring Hawaii into the mix. At least Nebraska and Dame are still Mid-West universities.

I guess the one nice thing is that the WVU fans can stop talking about the "Big 11", or whatever. Now the Big East is more like the Small East and Westboro Baptist Church.

Jul 10, 2006
Well of course, we always play down there. It's always a home game for the Southern and Western leechfucks. At least we've tended to do well against SEC teams recently.

TCU joining the Big East? What for? That makes no sense.
It's AQ conference, does revenue sharing and also is an elite basketball conference. It makes sense for TCU and the Big East needed someone to add more relevance to their football conference.

Also opens TCU to get some exposure on the East Coast and open some avenues to recruiting.

However, it does make for a lot of travel, but they already had to travel to places like Wyoming and Utah anyways, so I think the positives outweigh the negatives for TCU.

Jul 10, 2006

To me, it doesn't make any sense. TCU could be just a general run of the mill program in another 5 years, while the Big East will have to endure massive travel changes to accompany their new recruit. Next thing you know they'll bring Hawaii into the mix. At least Nebraska and Dame are still Mid-West universities.

I guess the one nice thing is that the WVU fans can stop talking about the "Big 11", or whatever. Now the Big East is more like the Small East and Westboro Baptist Church.
On the flip side, teams like West Virginia and Pitt can now dip into the fertile Texas high school scene. They have to be licking their chops at that prospect.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

Or their like the Bigger East.

It's a gamble no doubt, but if you look at TCU's record since 1998 it's obvious that they're not some flash in the pan. I'm sure the Big East has worked out travel costs with current and projected revenue, it would be stupid not to. In a perfect world there would be a solid program in the eastern half of the country to absorb, but unfortunately there isn't. So the Big East has had to go out of the box. The most important thing for them is keeping the BCS eligibility which I'm pretty sure would be up in the air when the next BCS contracts come out. It's pretty much about survival.

If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about the Big East. The Big Ten is going to have it's own issues with the championship game and all that, though the Big Ten Network will help a lot.

And why are you so angry about the Big East? It's not like it matters to you.:lol:

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
It's AQ conference, does revenue sharing and also is an elite basketball conference. It makes sense for TCU and the Big East needed someone to add more relevance to their football conference.

Also opens TCU to get some exposure on the East Coast and open some avenues to recruiting.

However, it does make for a lot of travel, but they already had to travel to places like Wyoming and Utah anyways, so I think the positives outweigh the negatives for TCU.
They were once in the WAC as well where they had to travel to Hawaii and the Cali schools.

Before that they were in the Southwestern Conference. Which was geographically interesting as well.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
On the flip side, teams like West Virginia and Pitt can now dip into the fertile Texas high school scene. They have to be licking their chops at that prospect.
Not sure, but many didn't grow up in Texas wanting to play for WVU. Perhaps that will change in decade.

If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about the Big East. The Big Ten is going to have it's own issues with the championship game and all that, though the Big Ten Network will help a lot.

And why are you so angry about the Big East? It's not like it matters to you.:lol:
I'm not worried about the Big East... at all. A Championship game for the Big Ten is a step in the right direction, along with bringing in fellow Midwesterner Nebraska. Perhaps we can add Mizzou sometime soon as well. It's not like we're trying to go after Boise State.

The Big Ten is based on tradition, and I think that's a good thing.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Not sure, but many didn't grow up in Texas wanting to play for WVU. Perhaps that will change in decade.

I'm not worried about the Big East... at all. A Championship game for the Big Ten is a step in the right direction, along with bringing in fellow Midwesterner Nebraska. Perhaps we can add Mizzou sometime soon as well. It's not like we're trying to go after Boise State.

To the first part, there are a lot of players in Texas. Many of WVU's best players come from Florida. Not that Texas will turn into a hotbed for Big East talent, I doubt it will. TCU will most likely benefit the most, being able to offer an automatic bid.

The Big East was built on tradition (basketball tradition granted) until it got ass fucked by the ACC. It's done a good job to survive but still isn't the same. Also, I don't think teams would leave a major conference for the Big East. Enough about that.

As for the Big Ten, won't Nebraska give you 12 teams? Mizzou might be too much. The Championship game can work if you can get a national audience. It's failed so far in the ACC and to some degree in the Big 12. I think the Big Ten Network is the major catalyst for the success of a Championship game, but we won't know until it happens.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
To the first part, there are a lot of players in Texas. Many of WVU's best players come from Florida. Not that Texas will turn into a hotbed for Big East talent, I doubt it will. TCU will most likely benefit the most, being able to offer an automatic bid.

The Big East was built on tradition (basketball tradition granted) until it got ass fucked by the ACC. It's done a good job to survive but still isn't the same. Also, I don't thing teams would leave a major conference for the Big East. Enough about that.

As for the Big Ten, won't Nebraska give you 12 teams? Mizzou might be too much. The Championship game can work if you can get a national audience. It's failed so far in the ACC and to some degree in the Big 12. I think the Big Ten Network is the major catalyst for the success of a Championship game, but we won't know until it happens.
Not a big fan of the ACC. At least you have the basketball programs to keep the Big East conference going.

There is a large enough fan base to sustain the Big Ten regardless, methinks. It is very different from the ACC in football at least. The programs are more storied and we are talking about a more football-centric geographical area here than the Carolinas or Mid-Atlantic. Of course, if the football programs perpetually go on the wane, then it might not work out.

If you have conference champs games like OSU and Michigan, a week after they play one another in their usual matchup, I think it could be a success. Having another game is always a plus for an established conference, too, methinks.

Jul 10, 2006
It's not always about following the dream, but about realism.

Not everyone can go to Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and LSU.

There is plenty of talent to go around, West Virginia for instance hit the gold mine in Florida with the likes of Pat White and Noel Devine among others.

I'm not saying they are going to go in there and out recruit Texas, Oklahoma and LSU, but they are likely to see some positive additions with TCU joining the fold.

The only conferences what should be worried about the Big East are the non qualifiers who were eying their auto bid. This threatens their chances of snatching it.

I don't think anyone expects the Big East to start competing for titles any time soon.

Jul 10, 2006

The Big East was built on tradition (basketball tradition granted) until it got ass fucked by the ACC. It's done a good job to survive but still isn't the same. Also, I don't think teams would leave a major conference for the Big East. Enough about that.

As much as the Big Ten purists may hate it, I expect the championship game to be a great success for them. Since the SEC was the first to implement it back in 1992 it has been a smash hit with fans both of the conference and in the nation in general.

I don't, however, like them putting OSU and UM in separate divisions, though, but we'll see how it works. Michigan seems a long way off from making that game anyway.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
It's not always about following the dream, but about realism.

Not everyone can go to Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and LSU.

There is plenty of talent to go around, West Virginia for instance hit the gold mine in Florida with the likes of Pat White and Noel Devine among others.

I'm not saying they are going to go in there and out recruit Texas, Oklahoma and LSU, but they are likely to see some positive additions with TCU joining the fold.
Pat White is from Alabama.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)