Academic Dilemmas (1 Viewer)

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
Has anyone here been in a position where you've studied something for a considerably long time, and then at a later stage realized that you wasted a large chunk of your academic life studying something you were never actually interested in?

Im not talking about random courses here and there.This is about full time graduate degrees.

Also,if you've been in this position, would you be interested in going back to school?

The reason i brought this up is because i find myself in this situation and i'm wondering how many other people face this dilemma.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Has anyone here been in a position where you've studied something for a considerably long time, and then at a later stage realized that you wasted a large chunk of your academic life studying something you were never actually interested in?

Im not talking about random courses here and there.This is about full time graduate degrees.

Also,if you've been in this position, would you be interested in going back to school?

The reason i brought this up is because i find myself in this situation and i'm wondering how many other people face this dilemma.
I did my undergrad in politics/media as a joint honour batchelor and my masters in political communications. When I did my MA I found how much I enjoyed the quantitative research aspect and i'd really like to go back to a PhD in that field.

Since i've started working in marketing for a independent school, i've found that the work I enjoy the most is the strategic data work and i've had suggestions that i should into accountancy, unfortunatley to be earning what i currently am in marketing i'd have to do about 8 levels of accountancy diplomas, if I ever wanted to earn serious money as an accountant i'd have to go back to uni to do a chartered accountant qualification.

So yeah i've kind of had that but doesn't sound as bad as yours. What disciplines are you looking at? Have you considered how they could work together if you were to go into research?

Jun 7, 2003

studying is never interesting. if you do something else it will be the same. so just dont give up and finish it. im also in the same position

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Yeah, been there. Probably still am.

Pretty weird, I was satisfied with the studies when it lasted. But ever since I finished I was wondering if it was the choice. Many times I was thinking how I would like to go back in time and study something else now. Not that I don't like economics, but IMO I was too young back in the day to make such a big career-wise decision. Then again, there were time when I was thinking if it was all worth it, studying I mean.

Maybe I'm influenced by the fact how I can't get a job for a year now.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
studying is never interesting. if you do something else it will be the same. so just dont give up and finish it. im also in the same position
Nonsense. Studying can be interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty weird, I was satisfied with the studies when it lasted. But ever since I finished I was wondering if it was the choice. Many times I was thinking how I would like to go back in time and study something else now. Not that I don't like economics, but IMO I was too young back in the day to make such a big career-wise decision. Then again, there were time when I was thinking if it was all worth it, studying I mean.

Tough :( Thought about going abroad? Or maybe continuing education?

OP
HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
  • Thread Starter #11
    I did my undergrad in politics/media as a joint honour batchelor and my masters in political communications. When I did my MA I found how much I enjoyed the quantitative research aspect and i'd really like to go back to a PhD in that field.

Since i've started working in marketing for a independent school, i've found that the work I enjoy the most is the strategic data work and i've had suggestions that i should into accountancy, unfortunatley to be earning what i currently am in marketing i'd have to do about 8 levels of accountancy diplomas, if I ever wanted to earn serious money as an accountant i'd have to go back to uni to do a chartered accountant qualification.

So yeah i've kind of had that but doesn't sound as bad as yours. What disciplines are you looking at? Have you considered how they could work together if you were to go into research?
    Economics.

I already have a MBA, but now im considering doing my MA in Economics and then head into PhD in Political Economy. I might bypass the MA if i get accepted in a PhD program directly, the chances of which are slim but its worth a try.

Disliking Economics is humanly impossible.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003

This happened to at least 40% of the people I knew in graduate school. Including me.

I didn't go back to school. It was a PhD program, and I knew I didn't want to finish. So I found what inspired me, leveraging what I took, and made a good living out of it.

Meanwhile, I noted how many PhD graduates of my program later on ended up in careers that had nothing to do with their field of study. You have good company.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
    Jul 10, 2009
    This happened to at least 40% of the people I knew in graduate school. Including me.

I didn't go back to school. It was a PhD program, and I knew I didn't want to finish. So I found what inspired me, leveraging what I took, and made a good living out of it.

Meanwhile, I noted how many PhD graduates of my program later on ended up in careers that had nothing to do with their field of study. You have good company.
    From PhD to coffee? :heart:

Sjaban

Dec 29, 2012

I've faced the same dilemma a few years ago. I was in my third year of Economics (bachelor) which I enjoyed for the most part, but I was more interested in statistics and mathematics than the pure theoretical aspects of most economics courses. So I decided to switch to econometrics. Finished both bachelors, but realised that econometrics is something I was much more interested in. I ended up finishing a full time graduate degree in Quantitative Finance and I'm starting a second full time graduate degree in Risk Management & Financial Engineering this fall.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004

If you like the school then why not. Going to school to "find" your passion is a trial and error sort of a thing so if you are not lucky enough to get it right in the first attempt, give yourself another chance.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
    Nov 8, 2005

that happens all the time, nothing to feel bad or insecure about - I am guessing there is an element of that in your Q due to peer pressure effects and whatnot. People like to give themselves the "image" of having figured it all out, in reality most haven't ... it just means your are human. :)

Most important thing would be to figure out what you are passionate about and go from there. Sometimes it's obvious, but more often than not it takes people a while to do so. Either way, make your hobby your profession and you won't work a day in your life, as is the saying. In doing so, it could be a good idea to get out of school and go out in the real world for a year, two, three or more and see first hand what your calling is. Better so than trying to figure that one while still in school, living with idealistic illusions about a certain profession/lifestyle, only to realize later in life those were way off the mark.

Once you find your thing, you can always go back to school, if needed. Sometimes you just have to as there are fields where you can't do much without the proper degree (e.g. yours truly going back to PhD 5 years after college). It's a challenge but worth it if it's what you are passionate about.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004

Yes, meteorology for me. I like the weather and all but now I bridged into finance and economics. To be honest, there isn't much to do with a meteo degree unless you go on TV. The good thing is the degree gave me the quantitative analysis skills I wouldn't get through a regular con degree. When I would take Econ tests after differential equation exams I would be like wtf this is easy.

Just do what can make you money.

The Serbian Sandwich Company has a nice ring to it.
    You having 38330 posts and that's it has a nice ring to it. Make it happen, worthless moderator dunce.

I've faced the same dilemma a few years ago. I was in my third year of Economics (bachelor) which I enjoyed for the most part, but I was more interested in statistics and mathematics than the pure theoretical aspects of most economics courses. So I decided to switch to econometrics. Finished both bachelors, but realised that econometrics is something I was much more interested in. I ended up finishing a full time graduate degree in Quantitative Finance and I'm starting a second full time graduate degree in Risk Management & Financial Engineering this fall.
    That is pretty cool. I have done a lot of studying in risk management and financial derivatives. Did you have an internship?

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
    Nov 8, 2005
    I'm still totally against that.

Yeah I wanted to continue. But I needed the job so I can pay MA :sigh:
    if it ain't personal, why is that?

you probably don't need a job in the field to do that, at least not at first. Many paying jobs would likely do the trick. Once you are in grad school, your chances of finding something related to your studies would be easier to do as companies would be more willing to "invest" in your future.
    Depending on how high/far you want to go in said field, however, I suggest you strongly consider getting your grad degree somewhere in Western Europe or North America (Canada/USA).

OP
    HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
  • Thread Starter #19
    Yes, meteorology for me. I like the weather and all but now I bridged into finance and economics. To be honest, there isn't much to do with a meteo degree unless you go on TV. The good thing is the degree gave me the quantitative analysis skills I wouldn't get through a regular con degree. When I would take Econ tests after differential equation exams I would be like wtf this is easy.

The last sentence, is pretty much the crux of the problem. The majority of people i know took jobs only because of the good money (myself included. I got a great job at a Bank barely two weeks after completing my MBA and i worked there for 3 years - worst 3 years of my life). I know very few people who are doing jobs that they love. Usually it is a case of good money overiding your true passion. The problem here is eventual burnout, and then you realize that you want to change careers.

Ofcourse this is not a rule of thumb and there are huge exceptions every now and then, but going after money alone is a recipe for a pretty bad midlife crisis IMO.

Sjaban

Dec 29, 2012

You having 38330 posts and that's it has a nice ring to it. Make it happen, worthless moderator dunce.

That is pretty cool. I have done a lot of studying in risk management and financial derivatives. Did you have an internship?
    Yeah, I did an internship at Barclays

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)