FIFA to discuss major change to offside law in Cardiff next month (1 Viewer)

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
FIFA to discuss major change to offside law in Cardiff next month

LONDON: A major change to football’s offside law is on the agenda when FIFA’s law-makers meet in Cardiff next month.

The proposal, from the Football Association of Wales, is that a player can only be offside if they are in the opponent’s penalty area.

If accepted by the game’s global governing body, the change would have an even bigger impact on the sport than the last major alteration to the offside law in 1925.

That change reduced from three to two the number of players from the defending team needed to be between the attacker with the ball and the goalline in the opponent’s half.

It was introduced to end a lack of goals being scored in the game and had a huge impact with far more goals being scored before teams adapted their tactics to deal with it.

The law-making International Board, established in 1886, comprises eight seats; the four British associations and an equal number from FIFA. Any proposal needs at least six votes to become law.

The British have such a large representation in recognition of their role in originally codifying the laws of the game.

The busy agenda for the meeting in Cardiff on Feb 26 also includes a proposal to change the punishment for a “professional foul”.

The Welsh are proposing that players be booked rather than sent off for denying an opponent an obvious scoring opportunity but that the attacking team be awarded a penalty, so having the scoring opportunity “returned” to them.

It would also stop matches being spoilt by having so many goalkeepers sent off for these type of offences.

FIFA also want to stop time-wasting and the meeting will discuss yellow cards for attacking players who pick the ball out of the net after a goal is scored and for any player who “deliberately touches” the ball after a free-kick, corner or throw-in is awarded against his side.

The Board is also expected to look at technological equipment, designed to rule whether the ball has crossed the line for a goal, during their stay in Cardiff.

The trial will be shown to members at the Millennium Stadium where the English League Cup final is being played on Feb 27 but the technology will not be used in the match.

Any decisions taken by the Board become law the following July 1 but major changes are usually tested in junior and youth level matches for two or three seasons before being integrated into the game at senior or professional level. – Reuters

.................................................................................................................

i like the offside idea ...although i dunno how the hell would the linesman keep an eyen on the attacking player, the ball, the last defender, and the penalty box line all at the same time....

Buy on AliExpress.com

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
I dont know about that...defensive tactics will change dramtically if that happened!! in other words defenders will get Fvcked!!

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
This new offside proposition is complete rubbish. So if this new rule is set players will be able to have free roam and cherry-pick outside of the box even if the ball is on the other side of the pitch. Strikers could literally stand on the edge of the 18 and recieve 60-yard passes with no defenders around. What is the Wales FA trying to do, promote kickball? This new offsides rule will undoubtedly promote kick and run play, therefore changing the whole complexion of team defending. With this inane offside rule there will be no more "compact sides" and the game would basically become all-offensive. This seems like a ploy the British would come up with, trying to get the rest of the football world to start playing kickball. Sorry, but this idiotic rule would change the complexion of the game way too much, and hopefully somebody with any sense will stop it from ruining the sport.

Seriously this is one of the most idiotic ideas I have ever heard.

Rainforest Liu

Apr 26, 2004
++ [ originally posted by aressandro10 ] ++
FIFA to discuss major change to offside law in Cardiff next month

LONDON: A major change to football’s offside law is on the agenda when FIFA’s law-makers meet in Cardiff next month.

The proposal, from the Football Association of Wales, is that a player can only be offside if they are in the opponent’s penalty area.

i like the offside idea ...although i dunno how the hell would the linesman keep an eyen on the attacking player, the ball, the last defender, and the penalty box line all at the same time....
I don't like the offside idea. Mayde there will be more goals, but offence is too hard, the race's quality is not well !

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
This new offside proposition is complete rubbish. So if this new rule is set players will be able to have free roam and cherry-pick outside of the box even if the ball is on the other side of the pitch. Strikers could literally stand on the edge of the 18 and recieve 60-yard passes with no defenders around. What is the Wales FA trying to do, promote kickball? This new offsides rule will undoubtedly promote kick and run play, therefore changing the whole complexion of team defending. With this inane offside rule there will be no more "compact sides" and the game would basically become all-offensive. This seems like a ploy the British would come up with, trying to get the rest of the football world to start playing kickball. Sorry, but this idiotic rule would change the complexion of the game way too much, and hopefully somebody with any sense will stop it from ruining the sport.

I agree...

Let's go over how these rules may change the face of the football field:

The proposed new offside rule:

Cons:

1. There won't be compact play and players will be spread all over the field.
2. The game will be more challanging physically because more of the field will be used. This will give an advantage to the quickest player instead of the smartest player.
3. To cope with this, defenses will pack themselves into the penalty area and this can make play a lot more slopy. Thus, build-up play along the field might become a thing of the past.
4. It'll be harder for the ref. and his assistants to spot offsides since they will be 2-dimensional instead of 1-D. (EDIT(John): though maybe it will be easier since the assistant ref won't have to run up and down the field.. his only focus will be on the penalty area)
5. There will be a lot less 1-on-1's that are usually a result of the attacker breaking the offside trap.
6. As Andy said, It'll turn into kickball where the ball will spend a lot more time in the air going from one side of the field to another.

Pros:
1. There will be more goals.
2. There will be less forcus on tactics and/or the tactical systems will change. (EDIT(Andy): Though this is not a "pro" for soccer fans who enjoy tactics)

The proposed change in punishment for professional fouls.

Cons:
1. There might be more contraversy because it's not that easy to deturmine whether a foul is as professional or not. It's riskier because now a PK is involved.
2. Sub GK's will get less playing time since there will be less red cards to the starting GKs.
3. It'll be more riskier for last defenders to make tackles.

Pros:
1. The team that was attacking when a professional foul is called won't miss out on their huge chance.
2. If a GK commits a proffesional foul, one of his team-mates won't sacrifice himself to allow for a reserve GK to come in.

Feel free to discuss these and recommend more Pros or Cons..
I'll add yours if it makes sense to me. :D

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
I feel that the offside proposal is fvcked.
I shall research further and come up with more reasons why...

OP
aressandro10

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
  • Thread Starter #12
    ok the offside proposal has it pros and cons....i just excited to see the relevation it will bring... i at least like more than the idea to use video replay.... that rule still in the circle of man-power...

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++

I agree...

Let's go over how these rules may change the face of the football field:

The proposed new offside rule:

Cons:

1. There won't be compact play and players will be spread all over the field.
    2. The game will be more challanging physically because more of the field will be used. This will give an advantage to the quickest player instead of the smartest player.
    3. To cope with this, defenses will pack themselves into the penalty area and this can make play a lot more slopy. Thus, build-up play along the field might become a thing of the past.
    4. It'll be harder for the ref. and his assistants to spot offsides since they will be 2-dimensional instead of 1-D.
    5. There will be a lot less 1-on-1's that are usually a result of the attacker breaking the offside trap.
    6. As Andy said, It'll turn into kickball where the ball will spend a lot more time in the air going from one side of the field to another.

Pros:
    1. There will be more goals.
    2. There will be less forcus on tactics and/or the tactical systems will change.
    I agree 100% Majed. If this idea actually becomes a rule the beautiful game will be no more. The teams might even decide to put half of their players in front of their own 18 and send the rest to the opposing 18, thus creating some sort of tenis match with all the long balls that would be played. If it goes to that extent the game would be much less exciting and probably be more suited for retarded players.

Majed, I do not agree with less focus on tactics being a positive out of this new rule. Tactics are a major part of the game and to me its like a chess match on the field. I find it to be an interesting part of the game and something that should not be hurt by rule amendments.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    One small point: This would actually be easier on the linesmen, as they currently have to patrol half the pitch, depending on where the backline is. Under the new rule, they would only have to keep an eye on the area, and could stand just to one side of the goal, meaning they'd always be in close proximity to the potential offense.

I like the idea of a yellow and a penalty in place of a red and a penalty. Fairer punishment.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002

I agree 100% Majed. If this idea actually becomes a rule the beautiful game will be no more. The teams might even decide to put half of their players in front of their own 18 and send the rest to the opposing 18, thus creating some sort of tenis match with all the long balls that would be played. If it goes to that extent the game would be much less exciting and probably be more suited for retarded players.

Majed, I do not agree with less focus on tactics being a positive out of this new rule. Tactics are a major part of the game and to me its like a chess match on the field. I find it to be an interesting part of the game and something that should not be hurt by rule changes.
    Good point... I guess it's arguable.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
    One small point: This would actually be easier on the linesmen, as they currently have to patrol half the pitch, depending on where the backline is. Under the new rule, they would only have to keep an eye on the area, and could stand just to one side of the goal, meaning they'd always be in close proximity to the potential offense.

I like the idea of a yellow and a penalty in place of a red and a penalty. Fairer punishment.
    Valid point, but would he be able to see the other side of the goal well? or more importantly, like i mentioned above, Isn't it harder to notice player movement in 2-d rather than 1-d? Also... It would be tougher for the assistant ref to see when the play entered the box if the player is moving towards the assistant ref (away from the sidelines). Add to this the complication of other defenders on another edge of the box. A "last" defender could jump out of the box just as an attacker makes a pass inside the box to his teammate....

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
    Valid point, but would he be able to see the other side of the goal well? or more importantly, like i mentioned above, Isn't it harder to notice player movement in 2-d rather than 1-d? Also... It would be tougher for the assistant ref to see when the play entered the box if the player is moving towards the assistant ref (away from the sidelines). Add to this the complication of other defenders on another edge of the box. A "last" defender could jump out of the box just as an attacker makes a pass inside the box to his teammate....
    Fine, tennis-style linesman's high stools. :p

I think the reduced area makes up sufficiently for the added dimention. The problem posed by your last sentance is no harder than that posed by the Arsenal back five under George Graham. :)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Who cares about making the referee's job easier? I am more concerned about keeping the beautiful game in place rather than helping the authorities get pressure off their backs.

Apr 12, 2004

I agree, this sounds like something the UK would think up, it is to provide the EPL with greater appeal, and less talent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)