Most impressive team of the World Cup? (1 Viewer)

Most impressive team of the World Cup?

• Senegal

• Turkey

• Brazil

• South Korea

• USA

• Ireland

• England

• Germany

Results are only viewable after voting.

nina

The team has to be Senegal. It was their WC début and they couldn't have strated better than they did - beating (at that point) current champions France. But not only that, they managed to draw with Denmark and with Uruguay, beat Sweden with a golden goal and then lost with Turkey.

I liked the way they played, although sometimes it looked a little chaotic, but maybe that was the charm in it.

IMO their keeper Sylva was the key player, together with Diouf, Fadiga, Papa Bouba Diop, coly and Cisse.

Anastacia

Jul 12, 2002
no one in turkey dreamed of taking the 3rd spot in a world cup that included france, brazil, argentina, england, germany, italy, and spain. more than that, turkey played entertaining football and the only negative point was Hakan Sukur, if Ilhan Mansiz started instead of him from the start, it would have been a different story.

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #6
    Turkey, Turkey! ;)

Turkey first qualified for Euro96. They lost all their games and didn't exactly look like they belonged there. At Euro2000 they finished 2nd in their group and advanced to the 2nd round. Around that time Galatasaray won the Uefa Cup. In Japan/Korea they finished 3rd. And this is a soccer nation that has pretty much seen no success outside the last 4-6 years. That's gotta be something! ;)

modan

Jul 13, 2002
    it has got to be turkey, they play fast-flowing attacking football which is a remarkable feat for a country which has not achieved anything before

Greg

Oct 1, 2001
    Germany. No one thought they would make it to the Final. For many year people have said you can never write off Germany.

SupJuve

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
    Turkey. They had a wonderful WorldCup, I heard they are even naming streets in Istanbul after their players :D
    all our players deserved it except sukur. but nobody wishes to give his name to a street. :D

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Lets see noone voted for South Korea and Brazil, i wonder why hmmmm
    I personally feel that Turkey and Senegal were the most impressive for all the reasons that have been well documented.
    But i give 3 cheers to the following teams for being magnificent and they are U.S.A, Brazil, South Korea, Ireland and Japan

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    I don't want to call it "best team", rather the most "influential" team had to be the referees.It's disgusting how much control they had over who won and lost..................

Codino

The Rival
    Jul 21, 2002
    Well, i think the greatest team in this world cup was Senegal.
    i think they are an inspiration for all african teams.

Italy were a massive dissappointment. Trappatoni dodnt know what to do! shocking!!!!

Jul 12, 2002
    Senegal was good, but I wouldn't call their performance impressive. It was impressive that they won, but their play wasn't that spectacular.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    senegals players kicked, hit and spat at the other teams players when the ref didn't look.
    they played with all their men at the back, they just kicked the ball up to diouf. IMO they played crap, i really dislike their team and some of their players

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by tarmpropp ] ++
    senegals players kicked, hit and spat at the other teams players when the ref didn't look.
    they played with all their men at the back, they just kicked the ball up to diouf. IMO they played crap, i really dislike their team and some of their players
    Very harsh when you consider that Diouf didn't score a goal and they scored the team goal of the tournament against Denmark and were involved in probably the match of the tournament against Uruguay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)