Lazio-Milan (1 Viewer)

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
AT STAKE

A delicious encounter takes place at the Stadio Olympico this Saturday as Lazio host an in-form Milan. But, there is much more than just a contest that this encounter symbolizes. It marks the return of Alessandro Nesta to Lazio for the first time since his summer move to Milan.

Lazio and Milan have had some memorable games in the past, most notably the stunning 4-4 draw played out a few seasons ago at this very venue. But, this time the teams are in very different positions. While Ancelotti's Milan are on a high, trying to establish themselves as the foremost team in Europe, Mancini's Lazio are struggling with financial problems and a loss of form.

Nonetheless, the encounter is touted to be one hell of a game as Lazio have already declared their game plan. "We respect them, but do not fear them," Lazio midfielder Fiore said. Roberto Mancini has told his boys that if they let Milan dictate the terms of play on the pitch, Lazio are going to lose. "We will attack them and not let them dominate us," he said.

With the biancocelesti displaying such a positive attitude, this one promises to be a cracker.

TEAM NEWS

Roberto Mancini is missing influential playmaker Fabio Liverani, around who most of his game plan revolves. He has had to change his formation to accommodate for the former Perugia player's absence and as it often happens, the team has suffered. Mancini will field the 4-4-2 again with Jaap Stam and a rather over-the-hill Mihajlovic forming the central partnership. Skipper Favalli and Paolo Negro will take their places on the wings. Up front Lopez partners Pippo Inzaghi's younger brother, Simone, in attack and Bernardo Corradi is relegated to the bench. Stankovic, Simeone, Giannichedda and Fiore will play in a flat midfield.

Carlo Ancelotti is still without Shevchenko, Helveg, Roque Jr., and Chamot. But, Christian Abbiati is fully fit and may just get the nod ahead of Dida (who has also been in good form). Ancelotti is reportedly planning to rest a few players, namely Rui Costa, Pirlo and maybe even Seedorf. This will mean that Massimo Ambrosini will start in midfield while Rivaldo will get his first start as playmaker (alternatively Ancelotti may choose to rest him and play Rui Costa). The near invincible Simic, Nesta, Maldini, Kaladze defensive quartet continues its business while at the other end Jon Dahl Tomasson gets his third successive Serie A start alongside on-fire Inzaghi.

FORM GUIDE
Lazio: LWW
Lazio are slowly getting breaking into the new season. And, only three official games later, they are showing signs of emotional recovery after the departures of Hernan Crespo and Alessandro Nesta to Inter and Milan respectively. Mancini's side lost on the opening day to Chievo Verona and even though they have beaten Greek side Xanthi 4-0 since then, they are not in top shape for sure.

Milan: WLWWWW
Milan's form has been phenomenal. As with all Italian teams, they struggled to cope with the late league start and lost to Slovan in Liberec. But, since then they have grown in both form and confidence and they have been absolutely merciless on their opposition, their latest triumph being the stunning 4-0 thumping of Deportivo in Spain. They have won four straight games, scoring 12 times in the process and conceding just one goal!

PROBABLE LINEUPS

Lazio (4-4-2): Peruzzi; Negro, Stam, Mihajlovic, Favalli; Stankovic, Simeone, Giannichedda, Fiore; S. Inzaghi, Lopez

Milan (4-3-1-2): Dida; Simic, Nesta, Maldini, Kaladze; Gattuso, Ambrosini, Seedorf; Rivaldo; Tomasson, F. Inzaghi

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Diego Simeone (Lazio): Written off as a has-been by many before the season, the Argentine veteran has been priceless for the biancocelesti at the start of this season. He has already scored in both of Lazio's Serie A fixtures and proved to be a true leader and asset to his coach.

Alessandro Nesta (Milan): All eyes will be on Alessandro Nesta when he returns to what promises to be a memorable reception one way or another. "I know there will be those that will whistle me, but I hope that the applause will drown out the whistles," said a nostalgic Nesta when asked about his feelings about the weekend's fixture.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
dpforever

dpforever

Jan 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #2
    Lazio midfielder Stefano Fiore has already turned his attentions to the reunion with Alessandro Nesta in this weekend's clash with Milan.

The defender left for the Rossoneri in the summer after spending his whole career with the club.

"To find Nesta again," Fiore said. "I believe it's going to be very thrilling. We'll try to confuse him so that he will make some mistakes. But he's not the only great player among the Rossoneri. Milan are respected because they are a very good side."

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    The newspapers here are talking about the Milanese tank crushing everything on it's path - that kind of describes my sentiments as well but I do see the opportunity for Lazio to manage a draw!

OP
    dpforever

dpforever

Jan 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #4
    Alessandro Nesta's family were interview by Italian daily, Corriere dello sport at Collevecchio, where the player used to spend his holidays. The mood in the house is rather somber.

Alex's father, Giuseppe Nesta swears he will not watch the game: "Alessandro in a Rossonero shirt? I'd better not see him".

"He played in Cinecittà and Roma had already signed him. But I took him to Lazio not to see him in a Giallorosso shirt", he adds bitterly.

His brother Fernando adds: "I often call him, but this week I haven't heard from him still .... just like on the eve of derbies".

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Hey peeps - I got this report on Inzaghi from the Dutch site www.viplanet.nl

ITALY'S BEST EUROPEAN FORWARD

AC Milan had a great evening last Tuesday when they smashed Deportivo 4-0 in Spain and one man in particular stands out. Filippo Inzaghi reached a total of 40 European goals, getting past Alessandro Altobelli's record of 39 and becoming Italy's most scoring player in European competitions.

The forward himself was overjoyed: "I'm so happy to have reached this big number! But I couldn't have done this without my teammates now and in other teams in the past. My thanks go to them! I still can't believe I've gotten past all these legends from the past..."

"What really helps me this season is Rui Costa - I have never had a better player behind me for the support and passes!" - Explains Superpippo.

The way the ball ends up in the net doesn't matter to Inzaghi even though it has cost most football fans their finger nails seeing him miss again. Perhaps Johan Cruyff described him best last week: "The man doesn't know how to play football but he scores goals and that's what you want from a striker!"

Click here for the original report and stats!

OP
    dpforever

dpforever

Jan 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #7
    ++ [ originally posted by ErikP ] ++
    Perhaps Johan Cruyff described him best last week: "The man doesn't know how to play football but he scores goals and that's what you want from a striker!"
    doesn't know how to play football? :eek::confused::D

OP
    dpforever

dpforever

Jan 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #9
    If Paolo Maldini were by some strange quirk of fate sold to Juventus or Lazio, how would he be greeted back at the San Siro? We will perhaps never know. But, this analogy is the closest one can get to comparing what the Biancocelesti tifosi will feel after watching their God, Alessandro Nesta in a different shirt after 18 long years!

The Curva Nord at the Olympico is not a well-reputed bunch. They have been criticized, hated and banned for varying reasons. They have even been accused of housing a notorious group of racist fans. However, at the end of the day, they are Lazio fans: fans that worshipped their captain and flag-bearer, San Alessandro, the gladiator of Rome.

"Alessandro in a Rossonero shirt? I would rather not watch that scene", were the words of a bitter Giuseppe Nesta, father of the barbican defenseman. His emotional recovery has only just begun. It was a transfer that had to happen, it was only a question of where Nesta would go. Whether it was Cragnotti's fault or not, the question now is not whether the transaction should have occurred, but how things will be for Nesta and Lazio in the future.

Nesta has already settled in very well at Milan, at ease with his good friend Paolo Maldini. But, will he face the most humiliating of returns to his home ground? Will the memory of his first every trip back to the Olympico haunt him for life? Or will he be welcomed back like a son that has left home so that his family can have a better life?

Tomorrow is Judgment Day for Alessandro Nesta. He shall take to the pitch at the Stadio Olympico and be judged by his fans and especially so by the Curva.

"I know there will be those that will whistle me, but I hope and pray that the applause will drown out the whistles", said a visibly nostalgic Nesta prior to the game.

And as the rest of the world watches on, we all hope that he is right and that as he steps onto his old hunting ground, his tears will be those of joy and not of humiliation.

Anastacia

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
    Or will he be welcomed back like a son that has left home so that his family can have a better life?
    i hope thats the case!

anyway, can't wait. great match coming up. it will also feature the inzaghi's against each other. in italy all expectations are that milan will destroy lazio 4 or 5-0, i can't see that happening. lazio will win it, with goals from simeone and/or stankovic !!

K10

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by ErikP ] ++
    Lazio is so NOT going to win this one!
    Lazio got a team finally. One that plays for fun and for each other.

Milan are stars.

Most often it is the team that wins.

My opinion.

Okay, maybe I love Lazio a wee too much :D

Febrina

Jul 17, 2002
    I hope Milan will do their best, especially Nesta. Now he's a milanista but he won't forget 18 years with Lazio.:)
    Maybe Laziali will give him standing ovation for their ex captain :touched:
    You know it's just like when Bati leave La Viola, He even cried when he scored the only goal for Roma when Roma met Fiorentina.

Leila

Jul 12, 2002
    I believe that Milan will win.They better right now! As for the standin' ovation-I don't think it's gonna happen.Of course it'd be fine, but I don't believe it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)