Uefa Rap For Ruud Comments (1 Viewer)

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
From Teletext:-

Holland striker Ruud van Nistelrooy has been charged by Uefa after he allegedly "insulted" referee Anders Frisk after the semi-final defeat to Portugal.

Uefa have received Frisk's match report and say their disciplinary body will deal with the case on Friday.

A spokesman said: "We have opened disciplinary proceedings against van Nistelrooy for insulting the ref. The incident was in the referee's report."

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #2
    From BBC:-

Uefa has opened disciplinary action against Holland striker Ruud van Nistelrooy for insulting behaviour.

The charge relates to Van Nistelrooy confronting referee Anders Frisk after his country's Euro 2004 semi-final defeat to Portugal.

Uefa says its disciplinary committee will deal with the case on Friday.

The 28-year-old was unhappy at Frisk's performance and accused him of ruling "everything in favour of Portugal" and of being a "home whistler".

He added: "Every 50-50 situation went for them, but we cannot do anything about it.

"They had the better chances, it's tough losing like this but we had problems playing our own game."

Van Nistelrooy admitted Portugal were good value for their half-time lead, given to them by Manchester United team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo's header.

He said: "The 1-0 was deserved because we hardly showed our strength in attack.

"It was hard to get chances. It was hard to get into the game. I'm shattered."

Maniche put Portugal 2-0 up soon after the break, and Van Nistelrooy admitted: "In the second-half we played for all or nothing.

"We fought back to 2-1 but it didn't work out the way we wanted.

"They had the better chances but we gave everything and our supporters here and at home were great. It's a bitter pill.

"I'm really down but maybe we have to say that Portugal just played better in this match.

"All of us gave everything for the fans over here and at home.

"Reaching the semi-final is a good achievement but we came to reach the final."

Jul 19, 2003
    I certainly agree with him on the 50-50 remark......especially that offside which was wrong imo. Very tight.......the feet were level but only his body was leaning ahead. I don't see the problem......that goal should've counted.

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #4
    It seems it's open season on Ref's.

RVN is a great player and probably a super person off the park, but if the Ref did make a blunder in the game, it was not catching RVN's deliberate kick on the Portugal Goalkeeper. His boot blades ran all the way down the inside of the goalies leg...and the replay showed RVN was looking at the goalie, and not the ball.

RVN was a very lucky man...other Ref's could have sent him off for this piece of cowardly, sneaky cr*p.

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #5
    ++ [ originally posted by nosubstitute959 ] ++
    I certainly agree with him on the 50-50 remark......especially that offside which was wrong imo. Very tight.......the feet were level but only his body was leaning ahead. I don't see the problem......that goal should've counted.

Agreed that overall the Ref maybe showed a little favouritism to Portugal.
    The RVN disallowed goal was right on the wire , but the linesman did put his flag up...although late. What could the Ref do?
    However, I did think he got Deco and other Portugal players marked from the begining as divers and waved away most of their claims for fouls correctly.

Jul 19, 2003
    Well that's why Overmars was arguing with him and he got a yellow card for his trouble. Calls like these happen, but I wonder how he insulted him. He should be reprimanded nonetheless.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    I suppose that by trashing the Euro, you attempt to assuage any disappointment ... or shirk responsibility for losing something of importance by calling its validity into question. It's the classic 6-year-old on the playground trick.

But back to RVN, I've always thought of him as a great player and had a lot of respect for him. This Euro, my respect for him went entirely down the toilet when I witnessed just how much he's depended upon the fuzzy edges of regulations as a crutch.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Having said all you guys have, I still think Frisk's performance was bordering on the scandalous as some of his decisions left me shaking my head in astonishment
    Yes he gave almost every 50-50 decision to Portugal and some even worse

I still don't understand how Uefa come up with decisions like these, a country has just been knocked out of the competition and their conqueror's next match you appoint a referee from that country

He may or may noy have based his decisions on that fact, but it still remains that Uefa have opened the door for that kind of thinking

Ruud is human so after a game , emotions are still boiling over so what he said is understandable and anyways I am interested in the sportsman not the man

Bottomline though Holladn deserved to lose but Frisk's performance imo was woeful

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)