Three thoughts of Euro2004 (1 Viewer)

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
Czechs Vs Netherlands :star:

(martin, you think the euro sucks?? i thought it has been one of the best so far)

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
What I have noticed is that the talent is very equal in the world of the football and these tournaments are very different then club football. First of all, youth is very important. There are some players (ie, Zidane) who prove an exception but for the most part, the older players are not fast enough, do not have enough stamina or are able to work hard enough throughout the entire 90 minutes to defeat the other squad. Of course any side needs some veteran leadership but you can't make up a team these days of older, slower, not as hard working players and expect them to be able to play at a top level every 4 days. In the past, it was possible for the big squads to get by with only their skill but I think there is not that great of a skill gap between any two given teams.

If you look at who has been successful in this tournament, it has been the teams that have been able to run all day, pressured the oposition in their attacking half rather then waiting for them to cross the center line and have been willing to work their asses off for the entire 90 minutes. This is a big paradigm shift in world football and the last World Cup and this Euro are very much proof of that.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by BigIzz ] ++

If you look at who has been successful in this tournament, it has been the teams that have been able to run all day, pressured the oposition in their attacking half rather then waiting for them to cross the center line and have been willing to work their asses off for the entire 90 minutes. This is a big paradigm shift in world football and the last World Cup and this Euro are very much proof of that.
You also need to take note of the performances by players who havent played 50 - 60 games this year...

Many of the good performances have been from players who arent regulars for their clubs or have had short seasons due to injury (mainly those that missed the beginning of the season)

Eg. baros and rooney who are both benchwarmers at their respected clubs but have had great tournaments

Also ronaldo who has had a pretty light season at manu

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
The fatigue argument is rubbish - most Dutch players play in England, Spain or Italy too and you don't see them being tired do you? I just don't buy that.

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
I agree and I think the fatigue of having to play what amounts to an elimination game (or near elminiation game) every 4 days is what fatigues the older players, not thier long club seasons.

And yes, players do play many games a week for their clubs, but it is much different. Between 30-40 players at a large club, most players are very well rested and the games are rarely as important or as intense as a Euro Championship or WC game, where you must play the entire 90 minutes at 100% oftentimes in a climate that is not ideal. Watching, for example a Serie A game in the middle of the year, you wouldn't say players are working all that hard, certinaly not compared to to a Euro game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)