Trap’s final farewell (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Trap’s final farewell
Wednesday 23 June, 2004

Giovanni Trapattoni has marked his final media conference as Italy boss by taking a swipe at Francesco Totti, Alex Del Piero and Christian Vieri.

The three attacking players were all expected to lead Italy into the latter stages of Euro 2004 but the Azzurri didn’t even get out of the group stage.

"I did expect more from Totti, Del Piero and Vieri. But to be honest they can’t be blamed for what has happened to us," said the Coach.

"I was hoping to hold this conference further down the line and in happier circumstances. But once again Lady Luck has turned her back on us.

"I believe that we are still one of the top four sides in Europe but certain circumstances dictate what happens in this game."

Italy beat Bulgaria 2-1 last night but the 2-2 draw between Denmark and Sweden saw the peninsula boys eliminated.

"This championship has demonstrated that European football is very balanced right now," he added after the 0-0 with Denmark and the 1-1 with Sweden.

"We paid a high price for drawing the first game even though we created some great chances in the second half.

"In the second match against Sweden, despite the criticism that I received for the substitutions, we were punished for missing too many chances and that back-heeled goal. That jeopardised our qualification.

"We deserved to win our last match even if it proved useless seeing the result of the other game. But I do want to underline the hard work and the professionalism of all my players."

Trap has been heavily criticised by the Italian media and fans for his tactical decisions and squad selection.

"This squad was created after the World Cup, thanks to what I saw in the Italian championship," he noted.

"It was a group of players that deserved qualification and one which gave us great hope of victory."

Trap was again questioned why he left Alberto Gilardino at home, while fellow youngsters Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo continue to light up the tournament.

"Gilardino wasn’t even playing regularly for his club until January," he explained.

"We arrived in Portugal thanks to a squad that demonstrated quality and cohesion during qualification. Let’s not forget that we also played some great games to get here.

"Rooney and Ronaldo? Other Coaches had more time than me to try them things out."

The veteran tactician is now set to be replaced on the bench by former Juventus boss Marcello Lippi. But Trap has issued a few warnings.

"The only advice that I will give to my successor is that it is much, much, much harder to be national Coach than a club boss.

"You need to be a mediator here. You need to understand that you select players who three days later will be playing an important League game.

"Whoever replaces me knows what to expect in this job. They will have a relatively young group of players to use.

"When I was given the post I inherited a good team from Dino Zoff and I tried to follow his lead. Hopefully that will continue as this squad doesn’t need destroying."

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
good riddance. Now we can actually get somewhere in a tournament. and not try to always hang on to a 1-0 lead the whole bloody time.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
Oh well. His era is now over.

But I agree on the Vieri/DP/Totti issue. Vieri has been a total waste of space. Against Sweeden I counted 5 shots above the net by Vieri. You simply have got to score in these situations, especially if the midfield is doing good, creating these opportunities.

I have changed my mind... no Vieri for Juve.

wong ka yan

Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Pendir_E65 ] ++
Oh well. His era is now over.

But I agree on the Vieri/DP/Totti issue. Vieri has been a total waste of space. Against Sweeden I counted 5 shots above the net by Vieri. You simply have got to score in these situations, especially if the midfield is doing good, creating these opportunities.

I have changed my mind... no Vieri for Juve.
he played bad in inter ..............:groan:
it is wrong that he played first team in Italian national team

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

What's his position now? Last I heard, he was close to signing for Juve.
Yes, those were the rumors before the EURO, but after speculations that Trezeguet is staying Vieri talks cooled down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)