Real Madrid is Worlds Biggest Football Brand (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Real Madrid is Worlds Biggest Football Brand

May 31, 2002 — London — Real Madrid is the number one international football club brand in terms of stature and strength, according to the conclusions of the first qualitative worldwide study on football brands. The study was conducted by Landor Associates – the world’s leading brand strategy and design firm – using Landor’s own methodology and the results of a 10,000-person survey issued between February and March 2002 in ten countries (France, Germany, Italy, Spain and United Kingdom, in Europe; Brazil, Mexico and Argentina in Latin America; the USA and Japan).

Based on its understanding of brand strength and brand stature in the evolution of brands, Landor developed a methodology utilizing measures of prestige, empathy and aversion. Using these parameters, two clubs emerge as leading international football brands: Real Madrid and Manchester United.

"The patterns of relative international stature favour Real Madrid," says Ralf Korbmacher, Landor’s Executive Branding Director. "Apart from a stellar track record as a team, Real Madrid has worldwide recognition, cultural affinities and prominent foreign players from many countries – all factors that contribute substantially to Real Madrid qualifying as the United Nations of Football"

Manchester United, being a somewhat more recent global phenomenon with less of an international track record and a less diversified set of brand ingredients, falls a bit behind overall. "Though a highly relevant and differentiated team," says Korbmacher, "its current branding and communications efforts should bring stature in the mid-to-long term"

Football players: The active “ingredients”

Team Rank Brand Score
Real Madrid 1 100
Manchester United 2 84
Inter de Milan 3 47
Juventus 4 36
Barcelona =5 16
Bayern Munich =5 16
Milan 7 12
Liverpool 8 11
Boca Juniors 9 6
River Plate 10 3

The players are the main ingredients that give added strength to the club brand.

The Landor study identifies four “player ingredients” of Real Madrid – Zidane, Figo, Roberto Carlos and Raul. They are amongst the ten best players in the world, according to all those surveyed. Manchester United, with Beckham, is the second club in this ranking worldwide.

What is important is that the clubs are able to efficiently transfer the star players’ brand equity to the main brand, that of the club. Manchester United, for example, is stronger than the individual players’ brands.

The clubs’ branding objectives have been measured in this study in terms of prestige, empathy or aversion.

Real Madrid has the leading profile on a global scale. It is the club with the greatest prestige measure, the one that generates the most empathy and that provokes the least aversion.

===

We're trailing Inter??? There's gotta be a mistake!! :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

hoshi

Sep 2, 2002
Maybe they mean that Inter has (or rather, had) a name in it that everyone recognised, Ronaldo. A lot of people recognise him (especially after the world cup, even though the article was written right at the start of the wc.)

Even so.... it is really weird. They're not that big... definitely not.

Manutd.Visitor

Aug 30, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
Real Madrid is Worlds Biggest Football Brand

Team Rank Brand Score
Real Madrid 1 100
Manchester United 2 84
Inter de Milan 3 47
Juventus 4 36
Barcelona =5 16
Bayern Munich =5 16
Milan 7 12
Liverpool 8 11
Boca Juniors 9 6
River Plate 10 3

===

We're trailing Inter??? There's gotta be a mistake!! :D

This looks too weird to me... Juve are without doubt above Inter, Barca and Liverpool should have more points. The main point here is that this is a 'survey' taken from 10,000 people, and seems to be a survey about peoples 'perceptions' not about how many football kits are sold, how many fans each club has, or what the turnover of each club is.

hoshi

Sep 2, 2002
I'd peceive Juve above Inter... you'll note they didn't come to Australia and ask me ;):D
But that's probably because Man U is the only team anyone here knows.... sigh :sigh: Not that they're not talented... just that some diversity would be nice.
I have to agree though... it's not the most reliable of methods to determine the biggest club. Although I don't like the "rich club-poor club" situation, turnover would probably be a better way to assess the best brand.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Okay before you go overboard with Juve being above Inter, ask yourselves this question, apart from Dp and Davids, who will the average fan identify in our entire squad

This is not necessarily about success or what you have done in the past but who ppl will recognise and the fact that we never go abroad to promote ourselves or buy players outside Italy, why are you guys surprised

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Nekton ] ++
This is kinda strange... I mean Real and Man U are of course right but Inter? Err... no? :undecide:
It says the study was conducted with 10,000 people- Here is an appropriate quote:

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

-Lac

Jul 12, 2002
I find this odd. I see Juve shirts everywhere, even in the US, I never see inter shirts, or real shirts.

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
Thats strange...in the US i have never seen a juve shirt (apart from at a football game) but i see Roma, Inter and Real shirts once in a while.

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
that's strange, i never see a juver jersey here, but tons of MU and Liverpool and real jerseys

the closes u normally get to getting a juve jersey, is by buying a newcastle jersey :down:

but you can still get a juve jersey sometimes...

hoshi

Sep 2, 2002
i see MU shirts all the time.... all i need to do is go into my brother's room :) he has 8 i think

but lots of people over here wear MU stuff. The soccer we see is 90% premier league.

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #18
    I know there's a guy in my class who's a Romanista. He was very confident early last season, after Roma beat us 2-0 at Delle Alpi.

But nowadays I don't have the heart to parade around with my Juve gear... :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)