No more spam (1 Viewer)

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
I read that some of the big companies were doing a campaign to stop spam. I hoped it would work out as I was pretty sick of all the junkmail. But I couldn't imagine that it would get effect this fast.
Just a few weeks ago I used to get ten or twenty spams/day. This last week I haven't got a single one(!), not one. and I haven't used any kind of spam stopper. If Microsoft is behind this, I just want to say "Thank you". My life is a lot easier when I don't have to search through my mailbox in order to see which mails that are not spam and when I don't have to delete mails every other day so that my mailbox doesn't become full.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Have any filtering set up, Sarah? I have a handsome little setup that filters all the junk for me, once the filters become dependable enough I'll trash all the spam right away without looking. Was working perfectly here a short while ago but my server crashed and now I'm rebuilding it.. :(

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
I have a handsome little setup that filters all the junk for me, once the filters become dependable enough I'll trash all the spam right away without looking. Was working perfectly here a short while ago but my server crashed and now I'm rebuilding it.. :(
I find Yahoo Mail's filter is pretty reliable, though it nabs the odd newsletter as junk.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I use IMAP myself, store all my mail on the server so I can access it from anywhere.

mik: webmail is a pain with spam and if you have multiple accounts, not to mention keeping track of mail sent and received.

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
Have any filtering set up, Sarah? I have a handsome little setup that filters all the junk for me, once the filters become dependable enough I'll trash all the spam right away without looking. Was working perfectly here a short while ago but my server crashed and now I'm rebuilding it.. :(
Actually, I just found out that we can actually set these filtering up *blush*.
I keep getting spams plus virus-like emails which is horribly annoying! :mad: Gonna have to meddle around with my Cpanel a bit.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Yeah that's a good idea. I don't use the cpanel stuff myself, have my own special setup at home. Once tried spamassassin thru cpanel but that didn't work so good.

On the virus thing: just open your email as plain text, that way you can never get in trouble. Obviously you know what attachments you expect, just ignore the rest. Easier said than done perhaps, I don't believe Outlook Express has an option to display as plain text, but I used to use Mailwasher for that purpose in the past, then go to OE.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Spamassassin has pretty much become an effective, de facto standard at work and at some ISP accounts I have.

Of course, one of my favorites of all time is Spambouncer -- particularly the "stage your own death" feature where you can configure it to forge a "no such account exists" mailer-daemon reply.

But spammers have gotten so awful now that they've forged a number of my e-mail addresses (and millions of others too, no doubt) as the "From" or "Reply-To" address in their spam, causing all the bounces to come to me. Bastards! The only sane thing to do now is to simply silently delete it unfortunately.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
swag, I use sa too currently, very effective. Once I train my filters well enough I'll stop filtering spam and just sending it to /dev/null, that's pretty much as close as you can get to a spam free life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)