Any defensive midfielder? (1 Viewer)

Togon

Nov 2, 2003
Talking a lot about defenders, playmakers and attackers, but who would you buy to strenghten our midfield in defensive aspect. (imo our biggest problem next to central defence)

I think a realy good defensive midfielder (with perfect tackling and decent passing) is the hardest to find nowadays.
I have one-two ideas, but not too much:

irreal:

Vieira
Emerson

Affordable:

Van Bommel
Perrotta
Pedretti (my choice)

....since Edgar gone :sigh:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
It's almost certain we'll bring back Blasi, but thats about it I believe.

We've been linked to Perotta, but it seems he's set for Inter.

Piotreque

Feb 4, 2004
As I saw a Villareal game yesterday I think that also Battaglia would be decent, he has a quit good positioning and movement, powerfull shot and unpredictable and wise pass. I think that we were linked with him few years ago when he was in Boca. But more realistacaly my type is Emre we could get him if we would try hard, maybe give them some players in exchange they were linked to Camor, and Di Vaio in the past...

Mar 21, 2004
i think perrotta would be a good choice.
since roma won't sell their players to JUVE(u know all the things between sensi and moggi!!).also vieira is too expensive...
so i vote for simone perrotta.

wong ka yan

Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by FORZA DEL PIERO ] ++
i think perrotta would be a good choice.
since roma won't sell their players to JUVE(u know all the things between sensi and moggi!!).also vieira is too expensive...
so i vote for simone perrotta.
what happen between moggi and sensi ? could u tell me?:confused:

Piotreque

Feb 4, 2004
Yes he is, he could also play as AMC and maybe Left-midfielder,but I think he suits better into defensive-creative midfielder role. He is agresive, quit strong also he could play similar to Davids in our team. He played in CM role few times in Inter last season and he was brillant, along with Appiah or Maresca he would do well...

Monkfish

Jun 14, 2003
If we rely on Blasi to be our defensive midfield next season (or the only addition to it) then I'm gonna knock Lippi and Moggi out!

We need some world class quality in there, we can't have another season where we rely on Tacchi and Appiah, the thought of that fills me with dread!

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
nahh.... i think we are pretty settled in the DMC area.. if maresca is as good as people say he is in defensive areas ( which i still dont see it ), then he is good enough to partner Tacchinardi in central midfield... the problem that bring to the downfall of that deparment this season is lippi always chose Appiah over Maresca , which i still dont understand why becoz those two are more or less the same age, and both developed in the same background.... Appiah's performance this season are so bad, he make Tacchinardi look bad....even tacchinardi and conte partnership seem more stabil whenever they were used ..and still lippi stick Appiah in the first team :stress:...... bring in either blasi or brighi and we are set for next season..... the four of appiah,maresca, tacchinardi, and brighi/blasi will have enough depth and competetiveness for next season...

OP
Togon

Togon

Nov 2, 2003
  • Thread Starter #12
    ++ [ the four of appiah,maresca, tacchinardi, and brighi/blasi will have enough depth and competetiveness for next season...
    Mares too careless for that position
    Tacch needs a much better partner than himself
    Blasi not convinced me
    Brighi ??

quality cannot be replaced by quantity (hahh)

qcfabio

Apr 5, 2004
    I'm sure Maresca will have a brilliant season next term if he plays as one of our central midfielder but he just needs a defensive-minded partner

Matteo Brighi will be a good choice. He used to be the midfield partner of Enzo in the Azzurini. IMO, Matteo has good tactical awareness and fine passing skill. He was the future of ITALIA few years ago until he was wrongly sent to Parma on loan. However, he claims a regular place in Brescia this term and his performance is more than okay.

If he is to be brought back to Juve, I think our future coach ( perhaps still Lippi ) can put him on he bench in early part of the season then gradually put him into the starting eleven if Appiah or Tacchi still suck next year ( It's highly highly likely that one of them sucks again, at least from the point of probability :greedy: Pr(A or B) = Pr(A) + Pr(B) with A and B being mutually exclusive ).

This is just like the situation of Maresca this year and IMO this is a proper method for big clubs like Juve...You really can't demand them to have great change at the start of the season

I think Brighi has proved his worth in the Azzurini and Bologna in the past !
    :fero:

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Togon ] ++

Mares too careless for that position
    yeah .. i understand what u mean... but people already saying how he is a great defensive midfielder prodigy, some even calling to put him alone in front of the defense... i am not buying it.. but at any case he would be backed up by the defensively Tacchinardi....

Tacch needs a much better partner than himself
    he needs a partner who better than him offensive wise... a player that he can pass to to start the attack ... as he dont have the licence to go and attack as he main job is to cover up the defence.... basing on the hype , Maresca and the Brescia-Appiah should be that person..

Blasi not convinced me
    Brighi ??
    yeah.. i understand what you mean.. i hardly saw them play either... could be enough to gamble though as their roles would be as squad players...

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
    Maresca isn't great defensively, he should have a free role. So we need a defensive midfielder to partner him. Tacchinardi fits the bill, but i'd bring back both Blasi and Brighi, and whoever is the best of the those three and Appiah playes.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Dominic ] ++
    Maresca isn't great defensively, he should have a free role. So we need a defensive midfielder to partner him. Tacchinardi fits the bill, but i'd bring back both Blasi and Brighi, and whoever is the best of the those three and Appiah playes.
    more or less my idea as well.... although i dont think Maresca is that technically gifted to be give the free role.. we need dribllers to open up defense and Maresca is not one of those..he is just a passing midfielder... boy how i wish zambrotta is a midfielder now.... i put that as one of the reasons our midfield crumbled this season...

Monkfish

Jun 14, 2003
    None of Brighi, Appiah, Tacchi, Blasi are good enough to be Juve's centre midfield partnership next season.

The 3 most important areas in a team are the central line that goes through it - centre back, centre mid and centre forward. If you do not have world class players in those positions then you will struggle in competitions like the CL.

Look at Roma, they have Samuel, Emerson and Totti in those positions - 3 of the best in the world. They can afford to play turkeys such as Lima etc in their team because it has such solid foundations to rely on. Milan is the same with Nesta / Maldini, Pirlo and Schevchenko.

Compare these to Juve's this season - Montero, Tacchi, Trezeguet. I'm sorry but those three don't come anywhere near Roma or Milan's. We can perhaps afford to play duffers like Appiah or Tacchi if we have great players alongside them

Obviously a great team needs great players in all areas, but Juve has struggled because although it does have some great players (Zambrotta, Nedved, Thuram etc), it doesn't have great players throughout the middle of the team - the backbone of the side isn't good enough. Without that we're screwed.

Therefore IMO the players mentioned in this thread so far just aren't good enough to be Juve's centre midfield. There's no point having quality on the right and left side of the midfield with inferior players in the middle.

Jul 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by qcfabio ] ++
    I'm sure Maresca will have a brilliant season next term if he plays as one of our central midfielder but he just needs a defensive-minded partner

Matteo Brighi will be a good choice. He used to be the midfield partner of Enzo in the Azzurini. IMO, Matteo has good tactical awareness and fine passing skill. He was the future of ITALIA few years ago until he was wrongly sent to Parma on loan. However, he claims a regular place in Brescia this term and his performance is more than okay.

If he is to be brought back to Juve, I think our future coach ( perhaps still Lippi ) can put him on he bench in early part of the season then gradually put him into the starting eleven if Appiah or Tacchi still suck next year ( It's highly highly likely that one of them sucks again, at least from the point of probability :greedy: Pr(A or B) = Pr(A) + Pr(B) with A and B being mutually exclusive ).

This is just like the situation of Maresca this year and IMO this is a proper method for big clubs like Juve...You really can't demand them to have great change at the start of the season

I think Brighi has proved his worth in the Azzurini and Bologna in the past !
    :fero:
    i agree with u there dude, this could be a very valuble option as it wouldnt cost too much.

Pedretti would be nice tho.

Jul 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Monkfish ] ++
    None of Brighi, Appiah, Tacchi, Blasi are good enough to be Juve's centre midfield partnership next season.

The 3 most important areas in a team are the central line that goes through it - centre back, centre mid and centre forward. If you do not have world class players in those positions then you will struggle in competitions like the CL.

Look at Roma, they have Samuel, Emerson and Totti in those positions - 3 of the best in the world. They can afford to play turkeys such as Lima etc in their team because it has such solid foundations to rely on. Milan is the same with Nesta / Maldini, Pirlo and Schevchenko.

Compare these to Juve's this season - Montero, Tacchi, Trezeguet. I'm sorry but those three don't come anywhere near Roma or Milan's. We can perhaps afford to play duffers like Appiah or Tacchi if we have great players alongside them

Obviously a great team needs great players in all areas, but Juve has
    struggled because although it does have some great players (Zambrotta, Nedved, Thuram etc), it doesn't have great players throughout the middle of the team - the backbone of the side isn't good enough. Without that we're screwed.

Therefore IMO the players mentioned in this thread so far just aren't good enough to be Juve's centre midfield. There's no point having quality on the right and left side of the midfield with inferior players in the middle.
    another very good point....our spine is non existant as neddy cant do it all.

A Dm, cb and possibly new striker if trez leaves is required. Pedretti is a very defense minded passing dm. I like him especially as my fav, vieira , we aint gonna get.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)