Euro2004™ Playing schedule (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
The greatest nations known to man will soon go head-to-head in the most prestigious sports tournament on the face of the earth. Capital of the world will be Lisbon, Portugal.

GROUP A

PORTUGAL

Hosts and organizers, Portugal didn’t have to qualify. Now, that bares a pro as well as a con. The pro is obvious but the con is that the Portuguese haven’t played a serious match since the last World Cup in which they put up a dismal performance. Nevertheless, they have the home advantage and with a public as the Portuguese, losing is not an option.

GREECE

Unpredictible. That is the key word when you talk about Greece. And I’ll have to leave it at that as well. Could they go far? Yes, they could. Could they be eliminated in the first stages? Yes, they could.

SPAIN

The Spaniards always arrive with a star-studded team but they never managed to win a title. Only some believe they can turn that misfortune around this time but whether they’ll win it or not, they are quite good enough to beat some major teams. NOT meeting Spain is (as always) a pro.

RUSSIA

The Russians are what you would call a fighting team. They don’t quit and they hate to lose: a serious threat to any other team. A giant killer? No, giant killers are small themselves. That can’t be said about Russia.

GROUP B

FRANCE

Former world-champions and holding European Champions France cruised through the qualification round as if it were non-existent. They are, without a doubt, the favourites for the title once again. Key players are Thierry Henry and Zinedine Zidane.

ENGLAND

Out of four, England was the only British nation to make it to the finals. Amazingly, the English never won the EC before and they aren’t named as one of the top favourites this time around either. Still, with players such as Beckham and Owen one would expect them to go far.

SWITZERLAND

Last year we saw FC Basel fight their way through the Champions League and many believe it sparked Swiss football. The Swiss will face tough opponents in England and France but nevertheless stand a (small) chance of progressing.

CROATIA

They managed to qualify after beating their neighbour and rival Slovenia in the play-offs. Not as strong anymore as a couple of years ago, the Croatians appear to be one of the underdogs of the tournament.

GROUP C

SWEDEN

Nobody messes with Sweden. That much became clear this qualifcation round. They only lost one match and that was a tricky tie to group-runners up Latvia. A force to reckon with, the Swedes could go far.

ITALY

They really are always there, aren’t they? Powerhouse Italy is tipped by many as the only real challenge to France’s superiority. And who can argue with that? With a solid defence and impressive attacking power, the Italians won’t settle for anything less than the title.

BULGARIA

From Eastern Europe, the Bulgarians are relatively unknow. Maybe I can clear that up for you when I say “Petrov (Celtic Glasgow)” or “Dimitri Berbatov (Bayer Leverkusen)” or even ”Marian Hristov (Kaiserslautern)”. The Bulgarians are by no means a walkover and have what it takes to be this tournament’s surprise package.

DENMARK

The second Scandinavian team to make it to the finals, the Danes will be looking to repeat and better their excellent performance at the last World Cup. They have the players, the skills and the will. But will they have the luck they need, being in a tricky and unforgiving group?

GROUP D

CZECH REPUBLIC

Are the Czechs any good? Just ask the Dutch. The Central European nation overthrew Holland and won the group to automatically qualify for Euro2004. Their only weakness being their lack of depth in the team, their substitutes aren’t nearly as good as their starters and in an intense and long tournament, that could cost them.

GERMANY

Admired by some, feared by most, the Germans always find a way of winning. Heaven knows how. The World Cup finalists will be looking to win the title once again but looking at their squad, one has to conclude that they would have to win it on team-effort. Their players are technically often outclassed by their direct opponents.

HOLLAND

With a very entertaining style of play, the Dutch are the most frequently broadcasted nation in Europe and extremely popular worldwide. But despite that, they had severe trouble qualifying for this tournament and they left it to the very last match when something seemed to spark in the team as they trashed Scotland by six goals to nil. Will they be in shape on time?

LATVIA

Come again? No, your eyes are not cheating on you, Latvia made it to the finals after beating Turkey! The small baltic nation is living a fairytale but one cannot help but think it might not last that long.

SCHEDULE
ALL TIMES ARE IN CENTRAL EUROPEAN TIME

Group A --- 12 June (17.00) Portugal - Greece in Porto
Group A --- 12 June (19.45) Spain - Russia in Faro-Loulé

Group B --- 13 June (17.00) Switzerland - Croatia in Leiria
Group B --- 13 June (19.45) France - England in Lisbon

Group C --- 14 June (17.00) Denmark - Italy in Guimarães
Group C --- 14 June (19.45) Sweden - Bulgaria in Lisbon

Group D --- 15 June (17.00) Czech Republic - Latvia in Aveiro
Group D --- 15 June (19.45) Germany - Netherlands in Porto

Group A --- 16 June (17.00) Greece - Spain in Porto
Group A --- 16 June (19.45) Russia - Portugal in Lisbon

Group B --- 17 June (17.00) England- Switzerland in Coimbra
Group B --- 17 June (19.45) Croatia - France in Leiria

Group C --- 18 June (17.00) Bulgaria - Denmark in Braga
Group C --- 18 June (19.45) Italy - Sweden in Porto

Group D --- 19 June (17.00) Latvia - Germany in Porto
Group D --- 19 June (19.45) Netherlands - Czech Republic in Aveiro

Group A --- 20 June (17.00) Spain - Portugal in Lisbon
Group A --- 20 June (19.45) Russia - Greece in Faro-Loulé

Group B --- 21 June (17.00) Switzerland - France in Coimbra
Group B --- 21 June (19.45) Croatia - England in Lisbon

Group C --- 22 June (17.00) Italy - Bulgaria in Guimarães
Group C --- 22 June (19.45) Denmark - Sweden in Porto

Group D --- 23 June (17.00) Netherlands - Latvia in Braga
Group D --- 23 June (19.45) Germany - Czech Republic in Lisbon

Quarter final 1 (#25) --- 24 June (19.45) Winner A - Runner-up B in Lisbon
Quarter final 2 (#26) --- 25 June (19.45) Winner B - Runner-up A in Lisbon
Quarter final 3 (#27) --- 26 June (19.45) Winner C - Runner-up D in Faro-Loulé
Quarter final 4 (#28) --- 27 June (19.45) Winner D - Runner-up C in Porto

Semi final 1 (#29) --- 30 June (19.45) Winner #25 - Winner #27 in Lisbon
Semi final 2 (#30) --- 01 July (19.45) Winner #26 - Winner #28 in Porto

Final --- 04 July (19.45) Winner #29 - Winner #30 in Lisbon

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
My vacation starts 28 may, if I have the money I will of course go to Portugal.
Anybody else who is planning to go?
Perhaps it is time for a Juventuz gathering, not sure if I want that though. ;)

K10

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++
as usual, all major tournaments begin during my exams. :groan:

here's for the czechs to win it.
Are you kidding. These major tournaments always coincide with my major exams.

World Cup 02 and now Euro 2004. How sucky!

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Zambrotta ] ++
My vacation starts 28 may, if I have the money I will of course go to Portugal.
Anybody else who is planning to go?
Perhaps it is time for a Juventuz gathering, not sure if I want that though. ;)
Okay, I earn $11.63 per hour, so if i work 609 hours by then, I should be able to make it without any problems

:groan:

++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++
I'm in, as long as Zlatan isn't coming :D
:LOL:

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
The greatest nations known to man will soon go head-to-head in the most prestigious sports tournament on the face of the earth. Capital of the world will be Lisbon, Portugal.

FRANCE

Former world-champions and holding European Champions France cruised through the qualification round as if it were non-existent. They are, without a doubt, the favourites for the title once again. Key players are Thierry Henry and Zinedine Zidane .
if you wrote this article,
then you definetly know your stuff.:D

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
me too! WC, Euro, all these summer tournaments are same time as my exams. Luckily, my exams are over by the second round :)

I think FIFA and UEFA should make the tournaments start in July, not JUNE!

gray

Apr 22, 2003
The greatest nations known to man will soon go head-to-head in the most prestigious sports tournament on the face of the earth.
:LOL::howler::LOL:

You're a bloody clown mate

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
Yeah it was one fantastic article!!!

SWEDEN

Nobody messes with Sweden. That much became clear this qualifcation round. They only lost one match and that was a tricky tie to group-runners up Latvia. A force to reckon with, the Swedes could go far.

;)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I did, yes:D
i knew it,an article like that would only come out of a genius like you.
especially this bit.

Powerhouse Italy is tipped by many as the only real challenge to France’s superiority. And who can argue with that?
Italy is a challenge to Frances SUPERIORITY

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
I know that things aren't going to be easy for anybody, but providing that Italy get through the group stage, they'll face either the Czechs, Germany or Holland! Not the best quarterfinal draw if you ask me, but I spose it's better than facing les bleus.

OP
Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #17
    It's not exactly a pretty picture from the other side: being Dutch I know that we'll probably run into either Italy or France in the QF.

Both are superior imo :groan:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    It's not exactly a pretty picture from the other side: being Dutch I know that we'll probably run into either Italy or France in the QF.
    And lose on penalties :wallbang:

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    It wont be easy for France in the quarter finals too since they are probably going to meet either the host portugal or Spain:wallbang:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)