Lippi: We don't need new buys (1 Viewer)

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
Lippi: We don't need new buys
Sunday 25 January, 2004

Juventus have conceded 21 goals in 18 games, but Marcello Lippi insists they won’t bring in new defenders.

“When a team scores a lot of goals then that is down to the overall attitude of the side,” maintained the Bianconeri boss. “The same applies to the defence.”

Tonight’s 3-3 draw at Empoli prevented the reigning Champions closing the gap on Roma and Milan and once again highlighted their frailties at the back.

“I can’t remember the last time we let in so many goals with such alarming regularity,” admitted Lippi. “In previous years we almost always had the strongest defence in Serie A and this is a worrying trend that needs to be worked on.”

The problems suffered against Empoli will fuel reports that Juve are making a January bid for Parma captain Matteo Ferrari.

“We already have nine defenders at our disposal. There will be no new signings this month because we quite simply do not need them.”

David Trezeguet’s hat-trick allowed the Turin side to recover a point from this match and boosted his confidence following some poor form.

“Trezeguet is ready to sign his contract extension and that allows him to play with a more relaxed state of mind,” concluded Lippi. “He is an important player for us and an excellent goal scorer.”

Empoli’s hero of the hour is Tommaso Rocchi, who bagged a hat-trick tonight and the winner at Inter last Sunday.

“It isn’t easy to get three goals past a side like Juventus,” commented the striker. “It’s a wonderful time for me as this week I also extended my contract with the club.”

Rocchi is not in fact a centre-forward by trade, but has adapted to this role following injuries and transfer problems.

“I have a lot left to prove,” he added, “but I am happy that we showed everyone Empoli are a team to be reckoned with. I only score so many because my teammates provide the best possible support.”

This result allows the Tuscans to clamber free of the drop zone, although they would still be headed for a play-off with the sixth-placed Serie B side.

Empoli 3-3 Juventus

I say fu*k Lippi
:(

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jul 12, 2002
Sorry, but I'm with Lippi here. Buying new players now would be a waste of money. We need to get the team into the right mentality to defend. That probably will include some line-up changes, with Thuram moving to central defence and Pessotto playing on the right side. It's not going to be great, but I think that our defence will definitely get better.

Sep 28, 2002
but will it help? is pessotto still good for juve's defence?

ok, i'm cool if we play 3-3 away to depor and win 4-3 at home, but will our next opponent in the cl let juve play like that. we are plain ****ed with all the away goals we will have scored against us.

OP

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
  • Thread Starter #4
    I think we need to buy a player like Gonzalo Rodriguez so that he could learn a lot with the "old" guys and be ready for next year. If we only buy a guy in June he will have to learn during the season and will not be ready to play for Juve.

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by mark77 ] ++
    I think we need to buy a player like Gonzalo Rodriguez so that he could learn a lot with the "old" guys and be ready for next year. If we only buy a guy in June he will have to learn during the season and will not be ready to play for Juve.
    That's what preseason is for.

OP

Mark

The Informer
    Administrator
    Dec 19, 2003
  • Thread Starter #6
    nah, better this season.

he's gonna have his period of adaptation now so he'll be ready for next season. He'll have more time to visit Turin.:D

OP

Mark

The Informer
    Administrator
    Dec 19, 2003
  • Thread Starter #7
    You sell fresi and buy Rodriguez. It won't change anything in Lippi's strategies but will be benific to the youngster. IMO

Jul 28, 2002
    nine defenders, but they included a redundant fresi and luliano, who have the match sharpness of a frog. Pessoto, hasnt played regularly or a while, i kno i have critiscisedd him but i hope he comes back to fitness soon cos were gonna need him. Legro, jus hasnt performed. monty is getting older along with ferrara thus harder for them to stay match fit. Lilian is playin average, but technically our best defender. Zambro is the only one whos has played lately.

Basically, lippi needs to whip these guys into shape, otherwise we need to invest.

Gonzo may help,but a safer bet would be ferrari at the mo. In the summer however, im hoping for bbig changes at the back!!!!

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    One more tear and you can add an avatar to your account. :)

I'm with Ian here, we had defensive problems last year and we didn't do that much to remedy them. However to assume that all our players have become useless overnight doesn't make sense to me. Work needs to be done to improve this condition, any new players would only confuse things further. It's not like we're looking at Nesta who could be an instant improvement, we're talking about Gonzales and others like him who could only command a place long term.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    One more tear and you can add an avatar to your account. :)

I'm with Ian here, we had defensive problems last year and we didn't do that much to remedy them. However to assume that all our players have become useless overnight doesn't make sense to me. Work needs to be done to improve this condition, any new players would only confuse things further. It's not like we're looking at Nesta who could be an instant improvement, we're talking about Gonzales and others like him who could only command a place long term.
    yeap... and im with u here..

Is more mental than physycal... ok we must accept the fact that our dfeenders are old... but is coudlnt be that suprisingly..all of them became crap at the same time.

Jul 28, 2002
    guys, last year, we all knew that in the summer, our defense would need a re juvenation. But we only got legro, and he isnt performing. We needed more than him then. But its being hightlighted again. Thus hopefully we will sort it out this summer at least. Last year ferrara was magnifique, which wasa nice suprise, but we cant expect him to do its all the time.

The core of our defence our cb's, who are the number one choices??Lilian and Zambo were the fullbacks. But we havent got a fully fit in form topclass centre half. Monty and ciro will find it hard to stay fully fit for every game, fresi and luliano......well they have been embarisingg lately, maybe due to lack of playing time. Legro is the last remaining out and out cb....and he's not integrated yet.

Tudor....oh how we need him fit playing again.....and at CENTRE BACK!!:fero:

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    tudor's the only young-ish defender we can look to at the moment,but the problems with his fitness n' all really are gonna be the death of us.

montero sometimes has good games,then he makes a huge error and we all know it's not a one-off thing-his pace is failing him.not that he had alot to begin with,but still...

ferrara in my book has still looked good whenever he has played this season.he's still consistenly solid and would be a reliable partner for a fit tudor.

i'd play something like that at the moment though:

zambrotta----ferrara----thuram----birindelli

although my first choice with a fully fit squad would be:

zambrotta----ferrara----tudor----thuram

if lippi's really desperate,i suggest something like that:

---------------buffon-----------
    --------------ferrara------------
    birindelli------montero----thuram
    ---------maresca-----appiah-----

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Amazing aint it how we made so much fun of Hierro and helguera last season and all said Real Madrid's defence was hopeless but the fact is that in Spain the emphasis is on attack not on defence unlike in Italy where they pride themselves in the art of defending.

Montero, to be honest, I thought would have been sold 2 seasons ago, the fact that he is still here is just a huge puzzle to me and for us to be suggesting that Ferrara is our saving grace then we have huge problems if we have any aspirations to win the Cl and scudetto

Lippi might be right in the long run and no way would I be suggesting to him how to run a team with all the success he has had in the past but this seems to be bordering on arrogance to the extreme to think that the current bunch have a lot to give as defenders

Its not that they are not concentrated as he seems to be suggesting, they are old and its okay to have one or 2 old olayers but to have your whole back line apart from Zambrotta to be older than 30 is asking a lot , more especially when none of them is particularly quick

I am not talking about running 100 m in 10 secs in a straight line, I am talking about turning quickly which for me is more important for a defender than actual pace

Another thing is that they all now seem to just react and noone seems to anticipate anymore and sometimes by the time they decide to react , we have conceded another goal

Its all well and good to be able to have a lot of yesmen in your side and not to be able to control large egos but the fact remains that to win the Cl which is his dream and to be able to manage the national side, you have to be able to have big personalities in your side and we seem to be evading getting good players because we think we cannot control them

Ps Stilll not pleased with the treatment of Davids

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
    evading getting good players because we think we cannot control them

Ps Stilll not pleased with the treatment of Davids
    might this davids thing be due to the same reason?:)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    I agree with you, noone seems to anticipate and cut off balls before they cone to the strikers/offensive players, and IIR that used to be a big part of our defensive play, and IMO the only player in our team that can still do it properly is Ferrara. He gives out the feeling of confidence when you see him play.

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Paranoia ] ++
    Agreed.ferrara still has the qualities of a true sweeper,whom i hope lippi experiments with sometime.
    Yes, Ferrara coudl definitely be a good sweeper, but IMO, it'd be useless to convert him, he's not going to be a factor next year. It would be more prudent to put Tudor in that position. He also has all the correct characteristics to be a sweeper. I've said this before, our defence needs a sweeper if Buffon is not going to step up and lead the defence the way he should.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker ] ++
    Sorry, but I'm with Lippi here. Buying new players now would be a waste of money. We need to get the team into the right mentality to defend. That probably will include some line-up changes, with Thuram moving to central defence and Pessotto playing on the right side. It's not going to be great, but I think that our defence will definitely get better.
    Aren't you the same guy that said a few weeks back that moving Thuram to central defence would just make our defence worse because Lilian sucks in that position? :rolleyes:

Anyways, Thuram played CB for a while on Sunday against Empoli, and though he wasn't terribly impressive, he was better than Iuliano, that's for sure. When Birindelli returns, I'd put him on the right, Zambro on the left, and have a central defence consisting of Thuram and Legrottaglie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)