Inter VS Sporting Lisbon - Leg 2 (1 Viewer)

Febrina

Jul 17, 2002
Yea, Inter with Ronaldo problem...it's difficult match. They only had 0-0 draw in the 1st leg but I dunno, maybe Inter still got the chance.

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
I've seen most of Inter's pre-season friendly matches and honestly I wasn't impressed in any one of them .. Recoba is not ready, Kallon is injured, Ronaldo is not fit, Vieri will play despite his injury, Cannavaro will play despite his lack of fitness .. it will be difficult for Cuper and his men, but Sporting too have their problems as they will be without two of their star strikers: Mario Jardel and Joao Pinto ... interesting match :D

dpforever

Jan 12, 2002
Hector Cuper has urged his team to ignore the Ronaldo saga ahead of tonight's decisive Champions' League qualifier with Sporting Lisbon.

The Nerazzurri have banned the press from mentioning the striker so as not to disrupt the squad’s concentration in the lead-up to such a delicate encounter.

“We won’t talk about Ronaldo,” warned the Coach, “and will not answer questions about him because at this moment in time he is of no interest.”

The tie is finely balanced following a 0-0 first leg draw in Portugal, so Inter must win at the San Siro tonight in order to qualify.

“The priority is this match. The club made this decision as qualification into European competition is the most important thing.”

Ronaldo will probably not be at the Stadium for this encounter and is currently training alone.

Cuper looked forward to the Sporting Lisbon match in a brief press conference at the Appiano Gentile training complex just outside Milan.

“Christian Vieri is fine, in fact he’s in great shape,” assured the tactician following a recent thigh problem.

“Fabio Cannavaro is also ready now that he has had 15 training sessions with his new teammates. He is ready to play.”

The former Parma defender has already made his debut in friendly encounters, but is yet to feature in an official match with the Nerazzurri shirt. His presence will be all-important due to the absence of the injured Marco Materazzi.

“We tested out the three-man defence,” revealed Cuper, “but I don’t think the lads have assimilated it into their system yet, so we may well stick with the four at the back for now.”

One of the most worrying aspects of the first leg was Sporting’s dominance of the left flank, often a problem area for Inter.

“We sorted that out in the second half, but in any case if the team does what it is capable of doing then that won’t be an issue.”

One particularly impressive change pre-season is the introduction of Stephan Dalmat in central midfield.

“Having an attacking player like Dalmat in the middle can really make a difference to the whole team,” claimed Cuper.”

The last time the Nerazzurri entered the preliminary round of the Champions’ League they faced a humiliating elimination at the hands of Helsingborgs.

For a team that threw away the title on the last day of the season, the psychological strength of the side remains a risk.

“What happened on May 5 must not affect us,” assured the Argentine, “unless it involves teaching us a lesson.”

“I can’t say how the boys will react once they are out on the field, but if I were there I’d eat up the whole pitch. I see they are also hungry for success.”

Probable line-ups:

Inter: 1 Toldo; 4 J Zanetti, 13 Cannavaro, 2 Cordoba, 77 Coco; 11 Guly, 14 Di Biagio, 18 Dalmat, 10 Morfeo; 20 Recoba, 32 Vieri

Sporting Lisbon: 12 Tiago; 5 Cesar Prates, 4 Quiroga, 15 Contreras, 22 Beto; 3 Rui Bento, 14 Ricardo Fernandes, 8 Pedro Barbosa, 18 Luis Filipe, 20 Quaresma; 7 Niculae

Aug 20, 2002
Inter are winning 2-0 at the moment and i think we should support them in europe. anyone like me who is from outside italy but loves italian football (Juve till i die) will know how poorly italian clubs have done in eurpoe. I just want to see all italian clubs back to their winning ways in europe Juve vs Inter Final in Champions League with ronaldo happily playing for either side (just keep him in italy).

dpforever

Jan 12, 2002
I hope Milan make it to Europe .. but not Inter, I just HATE them to death :fero: .. I would also enjoy Vieri whinning on how he would love to play in the Champions League someday, and how Inter are a crapy team :yuck: !!

OP
delpi25

delpi25

Jul 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #8
    Inter have overcome Sportin Lisbon at home 2-0
    Di Biagio and Recoba were the marksmen

OP
    delpi25

delpi25

Jul 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #9
    Italy now has 3 teams in the Champions League and wait on
    AC Milans result tofind out if we have 3 or 4 teams competing in the champions league

Azzurina

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
    I hope Milan make it to Europe .. but not Inter, I just HATE them to death :fero: .. I would also enjoy Vieri whinning on how he would love to play in the Champions League someday, and how Inter are a crapy team :yuck: !!
    :touched:

dpforever

Jan 12, 2002
    Inter coach Hector Cuper was full of praise for his side's spirit after they beat Sporting Lisbon 2-0 to book their place in the Champions League group stages.

First-half goals from Luigi Di Biagio and Alvaro Recoba gave the Nerazzurri the most priceless of victories.

When asked whether he had seen the Inter that he wants, Cuper replied: "For the character shown on the pitch, yes, certainly. I don't think we could have done more. We were just missing a little tranquillity. "

He also reiterated his stance on the Ronaldo situation.

"If Ronaldo stays at Inter there's no problem for me," he added. "I repeat for the umpteenth time and I hope for the last that I have no problem of any kind with Ronaldo."

:yuck:

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
    all the more you should hope inter reach europe,then we'll have a shot at whopping their butts big time at the final.:D
    and besides if they win the CL i'm sure you'd much rather they did rather than some other club outside italy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)